Sony Outlet Centre

valb

Suspended / Banned
Name
val
Edit My Images
No
I have heard rumours that Sony's outlet centre does not refurbish their products before selling them and that items have been received with scratches and not in "new" condition.

Has anyone experience to either confirm or contradict this please?

Sony centres in the form of shops in the high street don't belong to Sony.

I purchased a spare battery for a video camera that was so dead it knackered the camera, they refused a refund of over £90 and wouldn't take responsibility for the damage.

Never dealt with them since. If its a eBay outlet I'd steer clear too.

Sony centres in the form of shops in the high street don't belong to Sony.

I purchased a spare battery for a video camera that was so dead it knackered the camera, they refused a refund of over £90 and wouldn't take responsibility for the damage.

Never dealt with them since. If its a eBay outlet I'd steer clear too.

Just to clarify it is the official online Sony Outlet Centre I am referring to not High Street shops or Ebay outlets.

as i said i bought an rx100 and a nex f3 kit neither were in new condition
it says on the site they are mainly customer returns not refurbished

the two purchases ive made had scratched screens torn and bent manuals and other marks obvious signs of use

i have also bought sony refurbished from camera centre cardiff who are an official outlet they were indistinguishable from new

might be luck of the draw if you get a proper refurb or a customer return from the sony outlet store

here is ther blurb

- Refurbished products
Refurbished means that the product has been returned either because the previous customer didn't want it or a minor problem was found.
Before re-selling this product, we will repair and certify the unit and sell it at a discount. Refurbished products cannot be sold as new products, which is why they are re-labelled as refurbished units even if they are as good-as-new e.g. a change of mind due to colour of the product.

All refurbished products are bench tested and certified by Sony authorized service agents and are then re-packaged and labelled as a refurbished product.

as you can see it does not mention returning to as new such as a product from apple refurbished or items ive bought from canon or nikon

Yes I saw your post on the other thread. I wanted to see if yours was a common experience or whether you were simply unlucky.

I read the Sony online blurb. I guess a lot depends upon their definition of "repair". Personally I would expect all defects to be repaired including scratches etc before dispatch.

The phrase "Refurbished products cannot be sold as new products" is there for legal reasons and you will find is common to all companies selling refurbished products.

I will continue my search for a good second hand model until they are back in stock at Sony Outlet.

Depending upon other feedback received to this thread I could then buy one from the Outlet Centre and send it back if it is not up to scratch. Excuse the pun!

I bought an NEX6 with lens from the online outlet store a month or so back.

A few minor scratches here & there but, also a deepish one on the side of the lens barrell. Went straight back, although they did take about a week to collect it. I think your either lucky or unlucky.

Fuji refurbs on the other hand have been fab.

Last edited:
I bought an NEX6 with lens from the online outlet store a month or so back.

A few minor scratches here & there but, also a deepish one on the side of the lens barrell. Went straight back, although they did take about a week to collect it. I tyhink your either lucvy or unlucky.

Fuji refurbs on the other hand have been fab.

Thanks for the feedback.

Good to hear about Fuji. Shame I don't want a Fuji though.:LOL:(y)

Just purchased a Blu-ray play from the online outlet. Couldn't tell it apart from a new one, except for no batteries supplied for the remote. for the £100 I saved, I can live with that! Had all of the stickers and protective film on the player and the box was undamaged but had been resealed with a "refurbished" seal.

Just purchased a Blu-ray play from the online outlet. Couldn't tell it apart from a new one, except for no batteries supplied for the remote. for the £100 I saved, I can live with that! Had all of the stickers and protective film on the player and the box was undamaged but had been resealed with a "refurbished" seal.

(y)

got an A77 from the Sony Outlet Store -cosmetically I would say that you could tell that it wasn't absolutely brand new but only just, maybe 98% or 99% as good. Functionally so far it's been perfect.
They should all be tested for function & they do have a full warranty.

I picked up an RX100 recently for my wife from the outlet store and there was a dent on the front of the lens barrel - my wife wasn't too worried but from a resale perspective I wasn't so they were happy to send out a replacement

However similarly to flow they took an age to arrange for pickup of the faulty one, but the replacement arrived a couple of days after that and that one was like new with covers on the lens and screen etc. Luckily they reserved me a replacement one when I first spoke to them as otherwise they would have ran out of stock.

ordered a a77 and 16-50 lens, was some dust on the lens and that's the only issue I had :)

Thanks to those who have replied. Just found one second hand so will not be using Sony outlet now. As I cannot find anyway of archiving the thread I guess I will just have to let it run. Others may benefit from it.

And did you leave it at that ?

Back