Sony RX Series United Thread (Any RX Camera)

"Dining"

"Incidentally this snap was taken with my "RX100M6" at 6400 ISO (by mistake) and apart from the noise on the girls face I don't think the quality is too shabby"
Dining-03715ip by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

Last edited:
Evening All
New here to the RX thread and I’m here to say I wish I had joined sooner.
I have been working with LUMIX G series for a couple of years until I damaged my GX9 beyond repair mid last year.
I thought hard about what to buy next. My main driver for the M43 system was compact size, and versatility. Being honest with myself though, I’d been missing opportunities because I wouldn’t always want to carry a kit bag and most of my photography has to be opportunistic (because I tend to have a small child with me).
So I picked up the RX100 vi today. And I’m immediately stunned by the image quality and focussing capabilities. I recreated a pic I took originally on the GX9, indoors with a prime f 1.7 lens and the difference is non discernible, even with the slower lens of the RX100. I think the RX stabilised and focussed better to be fair.

I guess I’m preaching to the converted here but so far it seems this one camera answers 95+% of my photography needs on it’s own.

I will share a pic or two once I’ve got to grips with it more fully.

Evening All
New here to the RX thread and I’m here to say I wish I had joined sooner.
I have been working with LUMIX G series for a couple of years until I damaged my GX9 beyond repair mid last year.
I thought hard about what to buy next. My main driver for the M43 system was compact size, and versatility. Being honest with myself though, I’d been missing opportunities because I wouldn’t always want to carry a kit bag and most of my photography has to be opportunistic (because I tend to have a small child with me).
So I picked up the RX100 vi today. And I’m immediately stunned by the image quality and focussing capabilities. I recreated a pic I took originally on the GX9, indoors with a prime f 1.7 lens and the difference is non discernible, even with the slower lens of the RX100. I think the RX stabilised and focussed better to be fair.

I guess I’m preaching to the converted here but so far it seems this one camera answers 95+% of my photography needs on it’s own.

I will share a pic or two once I’ve got to grips with it more fully.

Congrat's on your new RX100M6 they are "Excellent" little cameras, I've had one for about five years now and I'm still amazed at the high quality images it can produce. I find the best performance from the lens is between F4-F5.6 if that's any help to you, looking forward to seeing some of your pic's from your new camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pin
Congrat's on your new RX100M6 they are "Excellent" little cameras, I've had one for about five years now and I'm still amazed at the high quality images it can produce. I find the best performance from the lens is between F4-F5.6 if that's any help to you, looking forward to seeing some of your pic's from your new camera.
Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations for accessories? Looking for small case, spare batteries, external charger maybe (or power bank?), screen protector, anything else?

Thanks for the reply. Any recommendations for accessories? Looking for small case, spare batteries, external charger maybe (or power bank?), screen protector, anything else?

As for spare batteries, I use "Ex Pro White" and I've not yet had a problem with any of them. Screen protector, all I use is a sheet of flexible screen protectors that I got from Flea Bay and just cut them to size to fit whatever they need to go on. They're probably not as good as the dedicated glass one's but as I'm particularly careful with my gear they do me just fine. I have a power bank but I only use it for my iPhone, I find the three batteries that I have for my RX are more than enough for a good days snapping and to be perfectly honest I very seldom need to change a battery while I'm out. I don't use a dedicated case etc, just a small zip up pouch that I keep the unit in when I'm not using it.

I do use a lanyard with a carabiner attached to the camera that I wear as a safety measure against dropping etc that I find works just fine for me. The other thing I use is a small black shirt button attached to the shutter button with BluTack that helps me locate the shutter button more easily by feel. I've also put a tiny bit of BluTack each side of the diopter adjuster to stop it from going out of adjustment which they do tend to do if you let the view finder flick up instead of cushioning it with a finger.

Hope this all helps.

Last edited:
I use a small MegaGear neoprene case for my RX100's from Amazon, which feels nice in the pocket. One is the correct size, and one is slightly too big, because I wasn't concentrating whilst ordering. :rolleyes: :headbang: :D The one that fits for me is a MegaGear MG084. Just make sure any case says it is for the camera you have. ;)

I get a wrist strap to connect the camera to the carabina on the case. So I just pull the camera out of the case, put my wrist through the strap, and the case hangs below.

I have two different 3rd party batteries, DuraPro and MaximaPower. The MaximaPower are rated for 1300mAh, compared to the original Sony 1240mAh, and the DuraPro are rated at 1600mAh. I assume they all run for what their ratings say, as I have tested them head to head.

I got the JJC USB Triple Battery Charger, again from Amazon, which has worked fine. :)

I got the Sony AGR2 Grip for each of my RX100 cameras.

I also got a tempered glass screen cover which said it was for the RX100M7.

I've linked the the things on Amazon, but after what they have done to DPReview, consider buying somewhere else if the price is as good.

As an aside, in the just under two years since I got the MegaGear MG084 case, it has nearly doubled in price! :eek: I'd still buy it though, and that is from someone who got cases with the RX100's when I bought them 2nd hand.

Last edited:
I picked up the RX100 vi today.

Great choice! One thing I'd advise caution with, and that's the rubber cover for the charging port. I'm not sure if yours is the same as my M7 but it tends to pop out of its mounting quite easily. Mine went missing back in June and I found that almost no one sells a replacement except in Japan.

Great choice! One thing I'd advise caution with, and that's the rubber cover for the charging port. I'm not sure if yours is the same as my M7 but it tends to pop out of its mounting quite easily. Mine went missing back in June and I found that almost no one sells a replacement except in Japan.

Actually Garry that's not a problem with the M6 as the charging port is on a hinge and snaps/clicks shut.

So far this camera is giving me more joy than any other camera I've ever owned (exept for film:p

DSC04944_edited.jpg

DSC04983_edited.jpg

I use a small MegaGear neoprene case for my RX100's from Amazon, which feels nice in the pocket. One is the correct size, and one is slightly too big, because I wasn't concentrating whilst ordering. :rolleyes: :headbang: :D The one that fits for me is a MegaGear MG084. Just make sure any case says it is for the camera you have. ;)

I get a wrist strap to connect the camera to the carabina on the case. So I just pull the camera out of the case, put my wrist through the strap, and the case hangs below.

I have two different 3rd party batteries, DuraPro and MaximaPower. The MaximaPower are rated for 1300mAh, compared to the original Sony 1240mAh, and the DuraPro are rated at 1600mAh. I assume they all run for what their ratings say, as I have tested them head to head.

I got the JJC USB Triple Battery Charger, again from Amazon, which has worked fine. :)

I got the Sony AGR2 Grip for each of my RX100 cameras.

I also got a tempered glass screen cover which said it was for the RX100M7.

I've linked the the things on Amazon, but after what they have done to DPReview, consider buying somewhere else if the price is as good.

As an aside, in the just under two years since I got the MegaGear MG084 case, it has nearly doubled in price! :eek: I'd still buy it though, and that is from someone who got cases with the RX100's when I bought them 2nd hand.

Thanks for the reply. Got the case, fits nicely. Also have a tempered glass protector on it. Tried the camera at the safari park the other day.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2osnsPf

Very nice landscape style capture Mike, liking this pic' very much.

Back