Sony RX1 thread

Congrats on your RX1R - great choice :D

The case you mentioned looks ok but personally I don't like giving any indication that I have a camera inside, which this one might do. I would recommend a generic case or satchel or courier. The RX1R is a tough little camera - I just chuck mine in a thick beanie and then into my rucksack or cross body bag. Make sure you buy a screen protector and lens hood and maybe a half case which will protect it and give you a better grip.

Thanks for the response and I have been wondering how tough the camera is on its own as it does feel well built, it's mostly going to be in another backpack although it's amongst bike tools which potentially could damage it. I PM'd Cullinade above as he seemed to have similar usage to me and he's sent me the details on his case which I've ordered so will see how that goes.

I have a Gariz leather half case which is great - protects the base and makes it much easier to grip properly.

I've had a good chance to use the little RX1 and after being worried it was a waste of money I'm really impressed with it. I know it has a FF sensor but I have it in my head it's so small I keep thinking it's an RX100 with a fixed 35mm lens so it seems weird to be able to get proper shallow DoF and great IQ. I ended up walking 13 miles during the day at the weekend with the D750/28-300mm and an RX10mk2 which gets heavy by the end of the day so it felt great being able to switch to the little RX1 for the evening.

I found the 1/80 minimum shutter speed with auto iso annoying but it's easily avoided by using manual mode, the lack of wifi is a shame as I'd like to be able to transfer photos on the move to my phone which works really well on the RX100mk4 but can live with that.

looks like its just you and me :)

i sold mine last year, i have the mk2 now- probably going to sell that too, as much as I LOVE LOVE LOVE the form factor and the IQ, i'm a professional photographer and I go through literally 10 batteries in a day, i have a triple charger and a power bank so i'm charging as I go, but I wish it had at least the sony batteries used in the a6000 line, a bigger grip would actually be preferable, also i'd love touch screen focus, or a joystick- i'm finding an a7iii with the 28mm f2 to be a decent enough subsitute for it, lack of decent video is a problem too, and the pop up evf interferes with every flash I have- I still actually use the rx1 external evf and I love it for waist level shooting- will sell that separatley if anyone is interested. I actually ended up rigging my rx1rii with a usb power bank velcro'd to the bottom, a solution that works surprisingly well aha, I dont think the mk1 can be charged over usb though?

Attachments

• 56606357_1969156293392496_1848769737715089408_n.jpg
    56606357_1969156293392496_1848769737715089408_n.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 56764461_422301538547957_2203501781160296448_n.jpg
    56764461_422301538547957_2203501781160296448_n.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 20
Bit of a luxury but I've just bought another RX1 as a 'throw in my waistpack whilst running / keep in the car' camera. I see prices have remained pretty solid given the age of the camera, so finding a tatty one (which wasn't nearly as bad as advertised) for exactly half of what I paid for my last one was an absolute win. £550 well spent.

I still maintain the RX1RII would be my dream camera, and they are very, very slowly falling into the territory where I might be able to justify swapping an a7Rii / 35mm 1.8 for one...one day.

Last edited:
Love the idea of this , small, mega image quality take everyday camera, don't have the courage to spend much money and limit myself to one focal length but I can really see the appeal.

I have a rx1r mk1 and its awesome at what it does, I did buy the evf hood and filters. A word of warning though these cameras are prone to dust getting into the lens and on the sensor and I have seen many with this issue, sony are well aware of this issue and I am told even they no longer repair these with this issue its a case of new sensor and new lens which is crazy for a pocket sized camera at this price point. All that said it never disappoints

Last edited:
I still maintain the RX1RII would be my dream camera, and they are very, very slowly falling into the territory where I might be able to justify swapping an a7Rii / 35mm 1.8 for one...one day.

I've always felt that Sony have forgotten this product exists in their range - and so have many of the rest of us,

If Sony had been a bit more aggressive with it then I think they could have taken sales and prominence from the Fuji X100 family.

They probably think of it as a niche - but I suspect that Fuji make quite a few sales for the X-T mirrorless to customers who first noticed the X100 or X-Pro models.

I've always felt that Sony have forgotten this product exists in their range - and so have many of the rest of us,

If Sony had been a bit more aggressive with it then I think they could have taken sales and prominence from the Fuji X100 family.

They probably think of it as a niche - but I suspect that Fuji make quite a few sales for the X-T mirrorless to customers who first noticed the X100 or X-Pro models.

They are massively flawed cameras so haven't reviewed that well, but the output is pretty special if you can work around the quirks. Unfortunately unlike Fuji they also don't support them in any way, there are unfixed bugs and some really simple firmware tweaks that would help that have simply never seen the light of day. Battery life is appalling and it's not particularly good as a point and shoot either as the camera will constantly do everything in its power to sit at 1/80 shutter speed.

The RX1RII appeared to have improved quite a few things, it would be nice if they released a v3 with a7III internals and a slightly bigger grip which could accommodate a bigger battery, it would cost a fortune though!

They are massively flawed cameras so haven't reviewed that well, but the output is pretty special if you can work around the quirks. Unfortunately unlike Fuji they also don't support them in any way, there are unfixed bugs and some really simple firmware tweaks that would help that have simply never seen the light of day. Battery life is appalling and it's not particularly good as a point and shoot either as the camera will constantly do everything in its power to sit at 1/80 shutter speed.

The RX1RII appeared to have improved quite a few things, it would be nice if they released a v3 with a7III internals and a slightly bigger grip which could accommodate a bigger battery, it would cost a fortune though!

Only when the light drops.

In low light my A7 will select too slow a shutter speed rather than raise the ISO but this isn't the deal breaker you'd think as all you need to do is select manual and dial in the aperture and shutter speed you want and let the ISO float. I assume this will work just as well on the RXx. Another way I deal with it is to have custom settings and one of them is manual, face detect, f2.8 and a people friendly shutter speed. The lack of a minimum shutter speed setting may sound like hell but in reality it's easy to overcome.

you can get a handgrip for RX1Rii - https://fotodioxpro.com/products/grip-rx1rii-pro
I had one of these and it massively improved the handling so much so I actually liked it more than any other compact I have had (inc. my current LX100ii).

I really loved my RX1Rii and especially because I could still use some of my old playmemories app which I can't on newer bodies. It was really perfect size and quality was just amazing.
But I just couldn't justify keeping it since it costs a LOT.

Even if they make the RX1Riii its just going to cost far too much to be affordable by masses.

I'd buy one again and probably will do when it comes closer to £1k than £2k.

I wish they'd at least make couple teleconverters to give 21mm and 50mm FoV. That lens hasn't changed and probably won't so they can be used on future models.
Fuji on the other hand constantly updates their models and have a rather quick release cycle at affordable prices.
Though till the recent X100V version I didn't really like the lens, it wasn't great tbh. The RX1 lens in comparison is miles better.

Last edited:
Only when the light drops.

In low light my A7 will select too slow a shutter speed rather than raise the ISO but this isn't the deal breaker you'd think as all you need to do is select manual and dial in the aperture and shutter speed you want and let the ISO float. I assume this will work just as well on the RXx. Another way I deal with it is to have custom settings and one of them is manual, face detect, f2.8 and a people friendly shutter speed. The lack of a minimum shutter speed setting may sound like hell but in reality it's easy to overcome.
Very delayed reply but this works just as well on the RX1r so when 1/80 is too high in low light situations I just stick it in manual mode, 1/40 and set the aperture as normal then the camera sorts the rest out through auto iso.

Thread Revival! :eek:

Just picked up an RX1R today to sit alongside my Leica Q, I bought for the combination of the small size, the lens and the f/f sensor - will see how I get on when I next get out. :)
It's a very old camera now and lacks features but I still think it's a nice little camera to use with nothing really quite like it still offering what it does in a comparatively small package.

It's a very old camera now and lacks features but I still think it's a nice little camera to use with nothing really quite like it still offering what it does in a comparatively small package.
More than enough features for me to work through! :LOL:

Well the RX1R didn't work out too well.
I knew that it had some lens distortion but that it was equipped with in-camera distortion correction and I had correction in my software.
However the amount of pincushion distortion at the top of the frame was just too much, getting it straight was a pain, so the camera had to go back.
I suspect this was a fault with this particular camera ... may try another. :thinking:

Back