Sony RX100

Loving that last one Stuart, superb crop too.

I'm really loving those rusty agricultural machinery and gate shots, Stuart - Such rich textures and colour. (y)

There really can be no doubt that the RX100 series is top notch in the true compact size market.

....And i can't wait to get my Mk2. Will be a few weeks though.

Look forward to seeing some pics from it when it arrives.I would have liked the mk2 version purely for the tilting screen as I really miss that from my p7700

WOW! Yet again! It reminds me of taking shots on B&W film on a Nikon F SLR plus a red filter.

.I thought I would try the firework scene mode quickly as some people were letting a few off behind our house..quite heavy crops but produced some interesting images.

untitled-00524
by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

....I particularly like this one as it's so dynamic and seems to be a live creature (with lots of legs!).

So the RX100 II has a 'Fireworks' mode - Interesting. I must download and read the Users Manual before it arrives.

Thanks Robin. .yeah the rx has lots of scene modes. Not usually a fan of them and mostly use manual but thought I would give it a go.

I'm not usually a fan of them either but sometimes it's the right horse for the course and something as specific as a Fireworks or Sunset mode is likely to help.

Yeah true..when is your mk2 arriving?...getting lonely on this thread lol.

The 'anti-motion blur' and 'handheld twilight' modes are quite good when you are stuck without a tripod - don't expect miracles though! I was in town last night and the crescent moon above the floodlit castle looked quite impressive - lots of tourists with their flashes going off while I could take handheld snapshots with the RX100 in those modes. In fact once I got closer to the castle I could take handheld shots at around 1/30 ISO 1600 f2.0 which is not something you could do with a dslr and kit lens and which worked better than the scene modes as they bumped the ISO up to 6400 which does not look good (at least on the jpegs, not processed the raws yet).

No comparison to a dslr, tripod, ISO 100 and f8 of course but still produces an acceptable snapshot/record shot.

Last edited:
Having recently been to a wedding where I found myself lugging my d800 around (in the end I locked it away without a single shot fired!) and wishing I had a more pocketable camera. Looked at several options and like the rx100.

Amazon lightening deal makes for a reasonable choice I think!!

Yeah true..when is your mk2 arriving?...getting lonely on this thread lol.

....All being well, I should have it first weekend in December. Will also get a trousers belt pouch and Richard Franiec body grip for it. I feel confident it will have been worth saving for - It's pictures like yours rather than sales marketing shots by Sony which demonstrate how good it has the potential to be. RAW in a truly pocketable compact with flip-out LCD is a deal-maker for me. I have failed to get so many great shots of grasshoppers etc without a tilt screen. I'm very excited!

Yeeha. It's arrived and awesome. Just need to work out the menu system, but THIS IS a truly pocketable camera!

Time to do some proper shots I think!

S

This German guy does a long but very thorough YouTube review/walkthrough of the RX100 II which starts at about 2:30 in. It's like a full demo and so more direct than reading a User Manual.

Seen that video its pretty good. Enjoy the new camera sr...look forward to seeing some shots on the thread.

Seen that video its pretty good. Enjoy the new camera sr...look forward to seeing some shots on the thread.

Cheers, I've only taken a couple of shots, just getting used to the smaller format and menu system. Love the fact you can just slip it in your pocket and the fact that yo can theoretically bounce flash if needs be.

Any top RX100 tips from you learned fellows (and ladies!)?

S

Yeah amazing how small it really is..as for tips I am still getting used to it myself tbh.Once you have been through the menus a few times it all starts to fall in to place.

Any top RX100 tips from you learned fellows (and ladies!)?

....Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, and keep shooting so it gradually becomes natural and fluid. Practice makes perfect. Shoot anything and everything and study the results. I think the trick is to set it up so it best suits the typical subjects you enjoy photographing. It offers a lot of options.

....Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, and keep shooting so it gradually becomes natural and fluid. Practice makes perfect. Shoot anything and everything and study the results. I think the trick is to set it up so it best suits the typical subjects you enjoy photographing. It offers a lot of options.

That's my plan! I got used to using a Nikon D90/D800 so its all a little (seems to be a key word with this little beauty) counter intuitive!

Normally take pics of my kids so will have to work out the single point focus jobby quickly. Anyhow kids are at school so.......

Sony RX100 test
by Sir SR, on Flickr

Really impressed when I opened the file in LR - have opened a few files from my daughter's compact and was half expecting similar.......how wrong was I?!

S

It's quality, isn't it, Shaheed. I haven't got mine yet but I can see the quality of the photos posted here (and elsewhere).

You can see all the detail in the shadows, the skin tone variations, etc, on that 'selfie' (trendy name for self-portrait).

The Fuji FinePix F500EXR I have been using (and F200EXR and F300EXR beforehand) means that I am totally used to this small compact size. But I'm used to SLR/DSLR size cameras too - It's just horses for courses.

Selecting the big lens ring on the RX100 II to function as zoom will be my first setting - That is such a natural method, just like the zoom ring on a DSLR lens, and I have never liked the little zoom levers.

Quiet the shutter so that it even less obtrusive when shooting.

It's quality, isn't it, Shaheed. I haven't got mine yet but I can see the quality of the photos posted here (and elsewhere).

You can see all the detail in the shadows, the skin tone variations, etc, on that 'selfie' (trendy name for self-portrait).

The Fuji FinePix F500EXR I have been using (and F200EXR and F300EXR beforehand) means that I am totally used to this small compact size. But I'm used to SLR/DSLR size cameras too - It's just horses for courses.

Selecting the big lens ring on the RX100 II to function as zoom will be my first setting - That is such a natural method, just like the zoom ring on a DSLR lens, and I have never liked the little zoom levers.

Quiet the shutter so that it even less obtrusive when shooting.

I have been known to do the odd (in all meanings) selfie! Its never going to replace my D800 but its the camera that will let me get the shots when i can't be bothered to lug it all around - the best camera is the one you have with you (and now i guess that means the rx100 most of the time!!)

That's my plan! I got used to using a Nikon D90/D800 so its all a little (seems to be a key word with this little beauty) counter intuitive!

Normally take pics of my kids so will have to work out the single point focus jobby quickly. Anyhow kids are at school so.......

Sony RX100 test
by Sir SR, on Flickr

Really impressed when I opened the file in LR - have opened a few files from my daughter's compact and was half expecting similar.......how wrong was I?!

S

Blimey, lucky I hadn't just eaten! ;)

You had better not spoil my Christmas dinner! ;)

Hope you're eating now ;-)

Sony RX100 test 2
by Sir SR, on Flickr

Sony RX100 test 3
by Sir SR, on Flickr

It's lovely shooting at f1.8 1/30 on a tiny camera (I know the sensor is smaller!), not something I could easily do on the d800. Kids too tired from gymnastics so had to settle on myself as a subject! Seriously impressed with the quality when looking at the files in LR.

S

The rx-100 has finally arrived from Amazon es,it seems superbly built and a little heavier than i thought it would be as well. The menus seems very well thought out,especially with all of the available shortcuts. It s going to take me a number of days to read through the online tome of the manual 248 pages in all. Now all i need to do is get out and take some pictures hopefully will be tomorrow as i have a week off from work. :)

Did you get charged import duty and vat?

Hope you're eating now ;-)

Sony RX100 test 2
by Sir SR, on Flickr

Sony RX100 test 3
by Sir SR, on Flickr

It's lovely shooting at f1.8 1/30 on a tiny camera (I know the sensor is smaller!), not something I could easily do on the d800. Kids too tired from gymnastics so had to settle on myself as a subject! Seriously impressed with the quality when looking at the files in LR.

S

Yep, a whole family bucket and vienetta! ;)

Looks like a good camera!

Back