Sony RX100

Send it back...

Then regret it a few days later and reorder it!

I'm waiting for something - not sure what, oh yes sanity to come my way :) (could be in for a long wait!)

I am hanging on to it because if I did send it back and then decided to re-order it the price has now gone back up to £699.

Of what ? The box :D

Send it back, buy grey and save £150

So, I sold the last of my M43 stuff yesterday and, seeing as I now don't have any camera equipment, decided to open the box from amazon containing the RX100M3.

Initial impressions:

Solid, appears well built and has quality feel
A little slippery (will apply the genuine sony grip I got at the same time)
Camera feels nippy and is quicker shot to shot after disabling the auto review
AF is not a lot different to m43 kit - probably a little slower if I scientifically compared
ISO goes down to 80 but not on Auto ISO
Camera arrived on firmware v1 and I think there is an update available
Charging is done with battery in camera via USB - useful wherever a USB charger is available

Try the multi ISO setting in the dark.;)

been reading reviews on this..and the LX100...and the G7X

its a minefield :eek:

been reading reviews on this..and the LX100...and the G7X

its a minefield :eek:

RX100 mk3 - Shorter zoom, higher quality lens than G7X and has an EVF
G7X - Same sensor as RX100 mk3, more zoom, no EVF
LX100 - Largest of the bunch but with the largest sensor, EVF and same zoom as the RX100 mk3

Simple.

i read that the Canon was a little soft from 85-100mm. There's quite a size difference between the RX and the LX isnt there...

Looking back the years ,of all the digital cameras I owned from dslr m43 and quality compacts the most pictures that I have taken and enjoyed was with the Lumix LX3. Small and compact and always with me in a belt pouch. I replaced it with a Fuji x10 but it wasn't exactly compact and required a small bag to carry it around. Might as well take my Nikon D7000 I thought so in the end I sold both cameras and bought Dp2/3Merrill's when they were heavily discounted early in the year. Both produced jaw dropping images despite the quirks and horrendous SPP workflow on my PC. Anyway these are unique cameras so will keep them for now. Before the RX100m3 came out I was gonna buy the Ricoh GR which my friend uses and I like the small size and the pics the APS-c sensor produces. Then Sony announced the m3 early summer and perfect timing too for my trip. Knowing the price in HK will be a lot lowerI decided to buy once I get there. My mate used his GR and we swapped cameras during the trip and we both agreed the m3 is the better camera. OK let see how well the m3 performs compare to the Fuji x-e1with kit lens recently bought from Fuji store.

Last edited:
Got out with the RX100M3 in my pocket today - well it wasn't in my pocket the whole time... it was very liberating not having to fuss with which lenses to take and which to leave at home. It was also very light and hardly noticed I had it with me.

Oh, it also produced some pleasing snaps IMHO...

Tic Tac - Sony RX100M3
by thebloater, on Flickr

Tree - Sony RX100M3
by thebloater, on Flickr

Squirrel - Sony RX100M3
by thebloater, on Flickr

Roses - Sony RX100M3
by thebloater, on Flickr

etc - Sony RX100M3
by thebloater, on Flickr

Noise was well controlled and detail retained up to around ISO4000.
Focus was a little sluggish indoors during the lower light of the evening - as I expected really.

There is a v1.1 firmware update which I will be doing when the battery is charged up enough to let me do it :(

I have not fitted the Sony grip yet but may do this evening.

Last edited:
Hmmmm .... I had the Rx100 - just didn't get to make good use of it, bought it on a whim, and sold it on as quick. Now I'm pondering on this mk III - it's very impressive, for it's size, and that's one of the attractive things about the RX - it is actually pocket-able, and delivers big time results for it. Just watched the DigiRev vid on it Vs the fuji X30, and have to say, it made me wonder why I'd ditched the Rx100 in the first place

I too had the Mk1 version - it was in addition to full fat DSLRs and I was also starting to become overloaded with M43 kit.

My needs and wants were leaning towards the m43 offerings at that time so I brushed the RX100 to one side and sold it on quite quickly.

Now the M3 is my only piece of camera equipment (aside from my iPhone camera) so I will be using it a lot more than I ever did with the original one.

I've got the rx100 mk 1 (actually I've lent it to my in laws as their P&S broke a day before they were flying out on holiday).

Love the pocket-ability but always missed the overall image quality of the d800. That said I can't fit the d800 in my pocket.

Also have now got it set up so I can use grads/cpl/ten stop so it's a small lightweight on the good landscape camera which is smaller than the d800!

Just got to wait til the in laws get back!!

For me the whole point of getting the RX100m3 is that I have a pocketable quality take anywhere camera with me. Anything bigger like the X20/30 LX100 I might as well use my Fuji X-e1.

I agree - I want to have great IQ but I don't want to have to change lenses. My xf1 is pocketable so I'm looking for something similar sized but more detail in the shots.

I've got the rx100 mk 1 (actually I've lent it to my in laws as their P&S broke a day before they were flying out on holiday).

Love the pocket-ability but always missed the overall image quality of the d800. That said I can't fit the d800 in my pocket.

Also have now got it set up so I can use grads/cpl/ten stop so it's a small lightweight on the good landscape camera which is smaller than the d800!

Just got to wait til the in laws get back!!

There's one major issue with it, because it's so small and looks like a mere compact to the casual user, people think you can just loan them it :D They'd never ask for a loan of your D800! and if they did you'd laugh in their faces. But because of it's size, the Rx100 types will have more people ask 'can I take a pic' or 'can I borrow that for a party' .... no way I'd loan it out.

There's one major issue with it, because it's so small and looks like a mere compact to the casual user, people think you can just loan them it :D They'd never ask for a loan of your D800! and if they did you'd laugh in their faces. But because of it's size, the Rx100 types will have more people ask 'can I take a pic' or 'can I borrow that for a party' .... no way I'd loan it out.

In fairness I offered it to them without prompts/hints!

I can more than cope with "just" the D800 until they get back!

It does perform better than it's size suggests. Oooh Matron

Yeah, in this case, but it's the kind of little camera people wouldn't be shy about asking to use, whereas people are less brave about dslrs. I only ever get asked "Can I take a shot!" - with the D800, when people get drunk - the worst possible time of course!

Yeah, in this case, but it's the kind of little camera people wouldn't be shy about asking to use, whereas people are less brave about dslrs. I only ever get asked "Can I take a shot!" - with the D800, when people get drunk - the worst possible time of course!

That's a fair point!!

I went into a local Photography shop before, and seeing as it was empty, I asked if I could look at the RX100III to see how the size of the body compared in size to me Canon S95. It's larger, but not by that much. :)

I also got to look at the viewfinder too. My oh my that's a nice viewfinder. :love:

Ah well, maybe in a few years when it drops to into my price range, probably 2nd hand. :( :rolleyes:

I am looking at getting a Mk3 RX100. I always shoot in raw with my Canon 450D and use the free Canon DPP software which does what I need. I understand that Sony does not provide similar software with the camera, so what would be my options? Would I have to buy Lightroom?

I am looking at getting a Mk3 RX100. I always shoot in raw with my Canon 450D and use the free Canon DPP software which does what I need. I understand that Sony does not provide similar software with the camera, so what would be my options? Would I have to buy Lightroom?
Just looking on the Sony site, you can download Sony Image Data Converter version 4.2.04 for Windows.

Which will apparently allow you to 'display RAW data, adjust brightness or colour and develop output to JPEG or TIFF'.

Lightroom will give you more editing options though.

Thanks. Colour balance & correcting exposure is my main concern so will look into that option.

I know I'm coming to this thread a wee bit late (to say the least!) but I'm about to enter RX100 II ownership today when my order arrives from Amazon later on.

I've been keen on taking photos for a few years and ended up buying a D60 back in 2011 but could never feel happy with the shots I was getting. I just didn't have time to learn the art of DSLR photography so it ended up gathering dust for most of the time I owned it. Sold it to a guy this week and have ordered the RX100 on the basis that I still want to be able to try and take photos with some control over what I'm doing, but I also need a camera that's very portable and that Mrs. P will use. She would never touch the D60 and I know we'll both use the RX100 a lot so, even though it cost me a it to do it, the change was a no-brainer.

Hoping to get out and use it this weekend and then see what I need to learn. Then I need to figure out what to do about photo editing as I'm hating the standard MS software. I'll maybe try Gimp for a bit but Elements or Lightroom sound like the weapons of choice... guess this will keep me busy over the winter evenings then!

Any pointers, tips, advice about the RX100 or editing would be welcomed.

Andy

Best of luck with the RX100 Andy - I had the original model and really enjoyed shooting with it...

Best advise I can give you is just get out there and shoot as much as you can with it - share your pics in the right sections on here and people will always be happy to offer constructive advise (y)

Editting wise for my photos I primarily use Lightroom - im self taught just by experimenting with the software and watching YouTube videos on specific things I wanted to do :)

Any pointers, tips, advice about the RX100 or editing would be welcomed.

Andy

Buy a screen protector, on my mk1 Rx100 the anti reflective coating has worn off and the screen is now like a shiny black mirror.
maybe this is more hard wearing on the newer models, not sure though.

Enjoy it as they are wonderful little cameras :)

Thanks man. :)

I loved using the D60 and it really made me want to get out and take photos but I could never get the result that I was hoping for - pretty much always due to them being blurry. I spent a while trying to learn it but the size and bulk of the camera ultimately led to me leaving it at home. Plus, Mrs. P would never use it so the RX100 should solve all of these issues while giving me the opportunity to grow into it and experiment similar to when I had the DSLR. Or that's what I'm hoping for anyway!

Buy a screen protector, on my mk1 Rx100 the anti reflective coating has worn off and the screen is now like a shiny black mirror.
maybe this is more hard wearing on the newer models, not sure though.

Enjoy it as they are wonderful little cameras :)

Yeah, I read that somewhere so ordered one of these with the camera. I also went for the Lowepro Dashpoint 10 case to hopefully keep the camera in good nick from the start. I can see me ordering a grip too but I'll see how I get on with it first. Other than that I just want to get out there and use it. Should have plenty chances this weekend as we've got some nice countryside near home and I'm being tasked with taking the boys (6 months and 4 y/o) out and about for a while. :)

Ok, go easy on me as I'm a real Rookie photographer (as my 3 years trying to work my D60 will testify!) But here are two shots from my first day using the RX100. I bought this book which arrived today and seems very useful and easy to follow. Fingers crossed these work!

My younger son (6 months old)...

f4bc66e2-1117-4428-ae43-1bb5c6e1ceda_zps8dcae7a1.jpg

Loch Lomond Shores on Sunday afternoon...

DSC00050_zps02ba2f9e.jpg

Do I go for one??? Panamoz have the Mk3 for under £500.

Primarily buying one for Disney in May. Struggling to decide on a good compact. Trouble is I always (unfairly) compare pics to the ones i take with D700/D750 and pro glass, hence why the X20 went back. Loved the X100 and may well get another but not suitable as too big (and poor AF but IQ is excellent). Whatever I buy must be pocket sized and this is probably the biggest sensor you can get in this size of camera.

Back