Sony RX100

Ahhhh,get out there and treat yourself.........you deserve it !!!

Few more from recnt Jolly.
DSC02939_zpsxt4ryfgn.jpg

DSC02940_zpszka4e7lb.jpg

DSC02943_zpsxouke3uz.jpg

DSC02989_zpscufieeoz.jpg

Ok so I've just taken delivery of a second hand Sony RX100 (Mk1) having decided to sell on my Fuji XF1 before it develops the lens error that that all seem to be doing.

What are the best tips and tricks that I need to know on how to set up the RX100?

So there is now a RX100 IV.

Main improvements,
a stacked 20.1MP 1"-type Exmor RS CMOS sensor, coupled with an attached DRAM memory chip for speedy processing. This 'stacked CMOS' design separates the photosensitive region of the sensor into a different layer from the circuitry; this allows more space for the light sensitive portion of each pixel.

Burst rate has been bumped to an impressive 16fps. And because the new shutter has such a fast read out time, it is now capable of shutter speeds up to 1/32,000 sec.

Capture and record 4K video. This is accomplished with full pixel readout without the need for binning. Video record time when shooting 4K is limited to 5 minutes, though. The RX100 IV can also record (up to) 40x super slow motion video (not in 4K mind you), at 960fps, 480fps and 240fps.

The AF system has also received an upgrade, as has the pop-up SVGA OLED electronic viewfinder. It now has 2.35 million dots, as opposed to 1.44M dots on the RX100 III.

That $949. Not sure of the UK price yet.

Ok so I've just taken delivery of a second hand Sony RX100 (Mk1) having decided to sell on my Fuji XF1 before it develops the lens error that that all seem to be doing.

Wished I had never bought my XF1 it died, I then bought a Panasonic TZ Compact but images are poor. Wished I had skipped both those cameras, and just gone for the Sony. I really do like the look of the Sony RX 100. I just have to start saving up the pennies. :)

Last edited:
Wished I had never bought my XF1 it died, I then bought a Panasonic TZ Compact but images are poor. Wished I had skipped both those cameras, and just gone for the Sony. I really do like the look of the Sony RX 100. I just have to start saving up the pennies. :)

I got mine from ebay for about £170.

Just picked up a used one of these from local camera shop. I think because the mk4 has been announced I got a great deal on the used mk3. Boxed, mint, along with grip, spare sony battery, filter holder and uv filter, and third party wall charger. All for £349.

Had a play for a week or so now and images are great for a compact. Ergonomics take some getting used to, but evf came in very handy last night as it was bright and rear screen was difficult to read.

Promising start.

That sounds like a brilliant bargain @Darknessss! Which local camera shop was it? I am tempted by the MK4 but can't justify the price over a used MK3. Hoping more crop up for the £349 mark.

Just picked up a used one of these from local camera shop. I think because the mk4 has been announced I got a great deal on the used mk3. Boxed, mint, along with grip, spare sony battery, filter holder and uv filter, and third party wall charger. All for £349.

Had a play for a week or so now and images are great for a compact. Ergonomics take some getting used to, but evf came in very handy last night as it was bright and rear screen was difficult to read.

Promising start.
Great deal. :) That has come down to my price range. I'm hoping a new version of the mark 3 comes down to somewhere near that price before they run out of stock. Maybe when the mark 5 comes out. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Hope it is everything and more you expect it to be. :)

The above pictures really make me miss my rx100. The Mk1 is still a fantastic camera..

Just picked up my mk1 (now can be had for £250 new!) as my travelling companion as I'm off around the world later in the year and I'm very impressed! Just need to learn its limits but for a compact I'm blown away by the IQ on this thing. A few shots without really knowing the camera;

24 by Jim, on Flickr

41 by Jim, on Flickr

56 by Jim, on Flickr

33 by Jim, on Flickr

I have to say that the Mark1 RX-100 is cracking value nowadays and takes very good pics.

Decided to move my XQ1 on and get another RX100 1 or 2 as I do miss my original RX100... great to see people still loving this camera and hopefully I'll start adding to this thread with some pics of my own again shortly (y)

Does anyone have any recommendations for wall chargers? I've seen one on Amazon with 3 batteries, and a car charging adaptor (which I'll need for NZ as I'll be travelling across it in a camper van) for only £15! Seems too good to be true but most of the reviews are 4-5 star!

It's on Amazon and I'm looking at it from the app, I'll see if I can get the URL...

Anyone using for gigs/concerts? Quite a few venues that I hist have a no DSLR policy. Thinking about picking one of these up? Decent autofocus, metering and iso performance are top of the list.

Well I've just got the filter adapter and ND filter. Thought i would have a play seeing how bulb worked with the play memory app only to find out its not possible! )o:

So looks like i need to get a proper remote and I'm not paying for the official remote.

Anyone got any suggestions for a cheap remote simply to just open and close the shutter?

Edit ignore me found one on amazon. Shame its not going to be here for weekend, boo

Last edited:
Picked up a used but looks like new RX100 iii with sony leather case and charger/spare battery.
Now to see what all the fuss is about with this wee compact, although first impressions are very promising (y)

@canon_togger where did you pick one up from? I am still on the hunt for a decent price RX100 III for family snaps/vlogs.

I got it on avforums from a high feedback seller with a good reputation.
I think its a cracking wee camera although I've only received it today so still to test it properly.

My Nikon P330 has finally died (mariginal yippee!) and I need to replace it. I really like the spec of the rx100 (especially the current price) but I do take a lot of food images. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with the macro on the rx100 please. I have read a few reviews to say that it produces a warped image as it can only be used at the wide end. I am hoping that this is not true. Many thanks, Sarah

Back