Sony RX100

Hi James,thanks for the comments. I haven`t really given the camera a fair chance yet to be honest and iam sure i could improve most of these through post processing,like you say the colour needs boosting and probably shot four maybe could have been shot in hdr mode maybe.

Well the RX100 did a cracking job on my 3 week jaunt around Indochina...absolutely love it. My only complaints would be :

1) The metering can be off a little sometimes....I find myself dialling in 1/3 stop comp fairly often....but I've not really had a proper play with the metering options.

2) Very occasionally I have taken the camera out of my pocket and it's been powered on, quite warm and has an error message saying to turn it off and on again, after which it is completely fine. It did spend a lot of time in *very* wet, dirty humid conditions, and was rained on a few times, so I'll forgive it a little quirkiness, plus I think there's a firmware update I need to apply.

The twilight handheld mode still blows me away....handed the camera to a guy who happened to be a pro wedding tog to take a picture of us at night, just moonlight and a 60w bulb 5+ metres away, properly dark. He was adamant the flash needed to be on, couldn't believe it when the image came out clear as day, said he was going to buy one haha :)

Last edited:
mid_gen said:
Well the RX100 did a cracking job on my 3 week jaunt around Indochina...absolutely love it. My only complaints would be :

1) The metering can be off a little sometimes....I find myself dialling in 1/3 stop comp fairly often....but I've not really had a proper play with the metering options.

2) Very occasionally I have taken the camera out of my pocket and it's been powered on, quite warm and has an error message saying to turn it off and on again, after which it is completely fine. It did spend a lot of time in *very* wet, dirty humid conditions, and was rained on a few times, so I'll forgive it a little quirkiness, plus I think there's a firmware update I need to apply.

The twilight handheld mode still blows me away....handed the camera to a guy who happened to be a pro wedding tog to take a picture of us at night, just moonlight and a 60w bulb 5+ metres away, properly dark. He was adamant the flash needed to be on, couldn't believe it when the image came out clear as day, said he was going to buy one haha :)

Sounds good, I'm not sure there is a firmware update, is there?

I should change my handlle to.... Dave, 'ficlkle photographer' in Wales.

I've had two RX100's and returned both in favour of a Canon S100.

Reasons...

1. Cheaper, much.
2. IQ, I can't tell the difference for what I use it for, I never shoot video.
3. Lens, 24mm to 140mm (RX100 28mm to 100mm)
4. Built like a brick, RX100 always seemed a little flimsy to me,frightened to handle it.
5. Smaller, thinner.
6. Comes with a battery charger.
Although it has to be said that battery 'life' aint up to much, I carry a spare.

I'm sure there are more that I can't call to mind.

And, a big AND
My first one was made in Japan, the second was made in China.
The one from Japan was, IMVHO, of higher build/general finish quality than the one from China.
Dials, knobs were not quite as silky smooth, the LCD screen was not flush, the whole thing just 'felt' inferior.

Must go, off to decide whether to keep the D600 that came on Friday or does that go back as well.

S100 to D600, what a LUMP :eek:

What are you like Dave :s

I've only had my RX100 a day but love what I've seen so far. Seems as robust as my old Canon S95 too

Reasons...

1. Cheaper, much.
4. Built like a brick, RX100 always seemed a little flimsy to me,frightened to handle it.
5. Smaller, thinner.
Although it has to be said that battery 'life' aint up to much, I carry a spare.

Similar reasons as to why I sold mine. AF speed was slower on the Canon but more accurate and metering on the Canon was more accurate IMO.

I thought the build quality was good on the Sony but the Canon is so small and solid in comparison, i'd imagine the Canon would take more abuse.

It's just the battery life that lets the Canon down.

Reasons...

1. Cheaper, much.
5. Smaller, thinner.

I'm sure there are more that I can't call to mind.

And, a big AND
My first one was made in Japan, the second was made in China.
The one from Japan was, IMVHO, of higher build/general finish quality than the one from China.
Dials, knobs were not quite as silky smooth, the LCD screen was not flush, the whole thing just 'felt' inferior.

Must go, off to decide whether to keep the D600 that came on Friday or does that go back as well.

S100 to D600, what a LUMP :eek:

D600 is going back as well, my S100 is giving higher IQ under identical conditions.....IMVHO of course

Some nice ones there Jinxy.

One thing I've found lacking is the detailed manual, using HTML pages is shocking, I know folks have made PDF extracts but come on Sony this bit is easy!

Far from the best photo's, I was quite far back in the crowd and most are at full zoom, but here are some resized pics from the Muse concert I was at Wed night (just home from! ;) )

All in P mode, no flash / af illuminator off. Auto iso was at iso 2500 for all of the concert pics. For the size of the camera, my limited ability and the conditions I think it's done OK ?

DSC00313-resized-XL.jpg

DSC00273-resized-XL.jpg

DSC00254-cropped-XL.jpg

Have to say I'm surprised at the relative lack of chat about this camera on TP!

I've owned a 30D, 5Dii, E-P1, G1, X100 and now a D5100 + RX100....and the RX100 is simply the best all rounder by far.

It doesn't have the retro appeal of the X100 for sure, but at least it focuses on the foreground in less than half an hour! MF is nicer on the RX100 too. High ISO performance also beats the X100....I haven't shot RAW with the RX yet so haven't been able to compare dynamic range yet though...but the range of in-camera shooting modes like HDR/twilight handheld/panoramic etc again are leagues ahead of any other camera I've owned. My friend at the Singapore F1 with me got better shots on his RX than I did with the D5100 :(

I'm a massive gadget freak, and the RX100 still surprises me every time I use it, how they can possible have crammed so much technology and performance into such a little package. Everyone should have one!

I haven't done any scientific tests to be honest....but the fact that the RX100 will actually focus in low light conditions also bears heavily in it's favour on that front :)

Id agree with that after trying the X100! I found the X100 very slow even in slightly dim/artificial light.

"Have to say I'm surprised at the relative lack of chat about this camera on TP!"

Have been watching this thread and thought the same.

Will be selling my K5 soon I think, just not taking it out due to size/bag required and going for a compact. Which compact though? RX100,X10, canon G1X..
RX100 looks nice, couple of things which I feel go against the RX100 imho are

No view finder, though the screen is very good and the X10 view finder is not brilliant with no focus point etc.
Case finish is smooth/slippery?
Some of the pics iI have seen from RX100 have not got much "pop" though simply change in camera or PP should be easy.

Have had an X10 and I found using view finder annoying due to no focus point etc, X100 fixes that but fixed focal and would prefer a zoom.
Canon lot bigger and focus slower.

What to get?, just need Fuji to put the X100 view finder in the X10 and sorted or might try the RX.

"Have to say I'm surprised at the relative lack of chat about this camera on TP!"

Have been watching this thread and thought the same.

Will be selling my K5 soon I think, just not taking it out due to size/bag required and going for a compact. Which compact though? RX100,X10, canon G1X..
RX100 looks nice, couple of things which I feel go against the RX100 imho are

No view finder, though the screen is very good and the X10 view finder is not brilliant with no focus point etc.
Case finish is smooth/slippery?
Some of the pics iI have seen from RX100 have not got much "pop" though simply change in camera or PP should be easy.

Have had an X10 and I found using view finder annoying due to no focus point etc, X100 fixes that but fixed focal and would prefer a zoom.
Canon lot bigger and focus slower.

What to get?, just need Fuji to put the X100 view finder in the X10 and sorted or might try the RX.
I think the success of both the x10 and the rx100 will similar models with evf's. Well thats what i'm hoping anyway. The thing that puts me off the x10 is its still a bit chunky.

With Christmas coming are there any more camera/tech shows where cameras are likely to be announced.

Interesting as DPR samples seem to show a 1 stop difference in favour of the X100.

I have both cameras and in my experience the X100 outperforms the RX100 at high ISO, noticeably.

I use both to record my children indoors. (The D7000 scares them, especially the clunking of the shutter!)

So, simply in IQ terms, the X100 comes out on top. Focussing in dim light is where the RX100 wins. In my view the high ISO RX100 images look very digital and artificial. X100 focussing in dim light remains awful even after the software updates.

This is a "real world" view and subjective, clearly!:)

Im also surprised at the lack of activity on this thread..still looking to get one at some point though.

Forgot about this thread heres a few from me

8131228154_0122ce0a4f_b.jpg
[/url] scarborough castle bw by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

8131206621_24d890ee61_b.jpg
[/url] ray of light by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

8105478747_c0e8b3ffb0_b.jpg
[/url] fallen apples by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

8105476893_9a3306b26f_b.jpg
[/url] lights by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

8054551357_39ccc891b5_b.jpg
[/url] Leaves by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

I think the camera is great it goes everywhere with me as its so small and pocketable, photos are sharp for a compact and the twighlight handheld mode for low light is really good.

Would like to see some more from the twilight mode if anyone has any...

I have both cameras and in my experience the X100 outperforms the RX100 at high ISO, noticeably.

I use both to record my children indoors. (The D7000 scares them, especially the clunking of the shutter!)

So, simply in IQ terms, the X100 comes out on top. Focussing in dim light is where the RX100 wins. In my view the high ISO RX100 images look very digital and artificial. X100 focussing in dim light remains awful even after the software updates.

This is a "real world" view and subjective, clearly!:)

I agree completely with the above, I have both cameras and love them both but they are different creatures.

The RX100 is the best compact I've ever owned, it's got great picture quality, fast focusing and a heap of features that are mostly useful including some great modes for adding life to the type of snaps you take when out with the family. It is a stunningly good camera for something so small and offers ease of use for my wife with enough toys/controls to keep me happy.

The X100 is much slower to focus, has a poor menu layout, not much by the way of picture modes or features but takes some of the sharpest most colourful photos (whilst still remaining natural) I've ever managed and that's from someone who at one point had over 20k of high end Nikon gear. It also has a great viewfinder, feels awesome to shoot with and superficially it does look the mutt's nuts.

For me it's simple, the RX100 is a camera we take everywhere, the whole family can use it and I never doubt it'll get a good photo. The X100 is my baby, it can produce awesome shots but needs to be looked after and persuaded to give the best results!

I've only used my rx100 a few times since getting it last week. Currently on holiday and whilst visit a theme park I took a few shots in a kind of tomb of the Pharos, very dark with the odd bright light. I was amazed at its ability to focus in these conditions. Can't wait wait to get home and process the raws now.

Also don't understand the lack of discussion, but seems to have picked up a bit now ;)

Couple more.....

8150097194_c18479c3d2_c_d.jpg

8150137527_f2bc4f52cf_c_d.jpg

I've never seen images scrub up so well in noise reduction ( I use noiseware)

Last edited:
That's a very good set of pictures. Shows the capabilities of the rx100 off very nicely.

ShrubMonkey said:
Sorry, couldn't resit. Final one of this set, as it's my fav, given the range of colour :D

Very nice images, can I ask what iso they were taken at and if they are raw or jpeg?

Cheers, Lee.

ShrubMonkey said:
Thanks, taken in RAW, ISO range from 1250, 2000 & 3200

Pretty impressive, I'm using Lightroom to convert my raw files but yours look cleaner than mine.

Lee O'D said:
Pretty impressive, I'm using Lightroom to convert my raw files but yours look cleaner than mine.

This will be down to my use of Noiseware plugin in PS

Back