Sony RX100

These were my first day shots using the RX100 last week. An aquarium is always a tricky location with any photography gear to get decent shots. Shot at f/1.8 the RX100 was surprisingly good in these conditions, plus for my first day using it. Bit of post processing applied.

8153338165_89e459766c_c_d.jpg

8153353037_94f355ffa8_c_d.jpg

StuartH said:
Have you got any without the noiseware used mate...

There are a few other products to remove noise. You could try Nik Software dfine. I have found that the in camera processing to jpeg is superb and it does take a lot of tweaking to make the RAW files look as good though

Richie15 said:
There are a few other products to remove noise. You could try Nik Software dfine. I have found that the in camera processing to jpeg is superb and it does take a lot of tweaking to make the RAW files look as good though

Yep there are a fair few, I've only ever used Noiseware, fantastic plugin

I've been reading through the thread with interest as I'm also considering buying the RX100 as the "go anywhere" camera when I can't take the DSLR but still want decent IQ shots..it's looking like it ticks all the boxes for me!!

Simon

ShrubMonkey said:
Yep there are a fair few, I've only ever used Noiseware, fantastic plugin

Great shots by the way. Have you compared the jpeg output to your raw files? I have found that the colour is better from the RAW files but I can't get close on noise and sharpening through Lightroom.

simonkit said:
I've been reading through the thread with interest as I'm also considering buying the RX100 as the "go anywhere" camera when I can't take the DSLR but still want decent IQ shots..it's looking like it ticks all the boxes for me!!

Simon

It does tick all the boxes so long as you can live without a viewfinder. The flash bounce is the killer feature - superb

Think im going to order one tonight to replace my old Panny TZ3.

Wondering if its good enough to be able to get rid of my 40D completely, which tends to get used less and less due to weight and size.

I love the flash bounce 'feature on these, takes some great indoor portraits with very even lighting.

Liking the colour great shots

Have you tried the tilt shift?

What tilt shift? I must have missed that.

It seems its the Minature setting in the Effects menu. Will try it tonight.

Illustrator (OOC JPEG)

Tilt Shift, note you can set this top, bottom, left or right. (OOC JPEG)

Last edited:
They do look very good. Keeps amazing me what it can pull off for such a small camera.

Richie15 said:
I bet the jpegs are ok and camera corrects

I never shoot jpg, but I'll have to give it a try. All images have gone through LR, so I guess it doesn't correct

ShrubMonkey said:
I never shoot jpg, but I'll have to give it a try. All images have gone through LR, so I guess it doesn't correct

Is it cropped? If it is it might be the angle of the camera. Still great colour though

WOW. I look forward to looking at these on a bigger screen later. i agree on the travel comment that is why I sold my GF3 and pancake lenses

I like see some in low light untouch please as want to see how much noise there are to process.

Raw and jpeg please

I may regret saying this later but first glance shows that Sony are up to their usual tricks. Make a lens that has a high level of distortion and then massively correct for it in s/w.

The jpegs are amazing. The raws out of DxO are even better - but that's with a lot of clever processing. Not tried RX100 files through LR yet - it will depend on whether Sony have talked to Adobe or not.

I may regret saying this later but first glance shows that Sony are up to their usual tricks. Make a lens that has a high level of distortion and then massively correct for it in s/w.

The jpegs are amazing. The raws out of DxO are even better - but that's with a lot of clever processing. Not tried RX100 files through LR yet - it will depend on whether Sony have talked to Adobe or not.

That why I like to see untouch pictures in low light from raw and jpeg at 3200 if possible or hight even

That why I like to see untouch pictures in low light from raw and jpeg at 3200 if possible or hight even

Why?

If there's some processing that always takes place, then why would you want to see it without?

Just checked and LR doesn't appear to have lens correction fro the RX100 yet :(

Distortion seems worse nearer the long end (which is unusual) but it's not terrible.

@rookies - unfortunately none of my high ISO shots can be released. I'll ty to take some more for you but it's a beautiful day here and it will be down around 200 ISO ;)

As I want to see how the camera perform that all as we all know some camera throw up more noise at lower iso than others...

Jpegs are very clean and the raw files are not. When processing with LR it's a balance between NR and sharpening.

I can't comment on DXO I haven't got it

I shoot raw and jpegs but only use the raw files in emergency.

The noise sharpening issue is similar on OM-D raw files with M43 only not as apparent.

But I know it wont be as good as the OMD but it still good though?

At iso3200 jpeg the Sony is better than the Oly

At iso1600 I can make an Oly RAW file look better than a Sony jpeg

Richie15 said:
WOW. I look forward to looking at these on a bigger screen later. i agree on the travel comment that is why I sold my GF3 and pancake lenses

Same as the approach I took, dumped half my old/least used m43 bodies (g1,gf3,g3). In terms of comprise for travelling light, the RX100 is top of the pile for me

Back