Sony RX100

I don't post too many RX100III pics, but here's the view from my room in Venice. :) The previous night I was trying to get pics with nobody in on this busy junction, this time I was trying to get the people blurry as they passed and there was hardly anyone about. :LOL: I must say that the Sony got the exposure better than my D500.:-/

20074-1529959560-0f38f5a3fac8126b97789a030928b3e9.jpg

I just received my RX100 iii and need some assistance with the focus mode.

In aperture mode I would like to have a single focus point that I can move around the screen to chose the item I want to focus on.

I can do this by going to Menu > Focus Area > Flexible Spot and then moving the focus point then take a photo, however, I have to repeat this process each and every time. I just want to be able to move the focus point where I want to after every shot.

Am I missing something or is this just not possible.

Thanks in advance.

Having spent forever trying to find myself the perfect compact camera I recently picked myself up a mint used RX100 M5. Before this I had a Panasonic GM1, a couple of prime lenses and a 12-32 but I missed the EVF and, whilst the primes were excellent, I didn't want to keep changing lenses the 12-32 lacked a little in terms o sharpness.

It took some swallowing to spend that amount on a compact but I have no regrets - it's a tremendous camera with a great sensor and lens and a joy to use. I suspect this will be used by me 90% of the time and my DSLR outfit will be used just for 'special occasions' when I want the best possible image quality.

The picture below is a JPEG transfered via Wifi from the camera to my phone and then processed in Lightroom CC on the phone. Bearing that in mind I was quite impressed!

Untitled by Dave Proctor, on Flickr

Got a IV from Amazon (Prime Sale) today for £499. With £100 cashback due. Which is nice.

Zoomed I was expecting better iq for that sort of money. But if your happy with it mate that's all that matters

It's pretty good for ISO6400
Something to watch is that if playing with Picture Profiles, usually you'll want to make sure they are off for stills.
The best way is to use the memory recall settings so you have one set for video and one for stills

RX100 Mk6, ooc jpg, love this camera, upgraded from a MK4.

Hi Paul, is the MkVI as good optically as the MkIV between the 24-70 equivalent focal lengths? I'm a little concerned that to accommodate the 24-200 equivalent zoom range Sony had to compromise on optical quality somehow. I have looked at some of your shots and they look really good though so hopefully Sony have managed to crack it.

Hi Paul, is the MkVI as good optically as the MkIV between the 24-70 equivalent focal lengths? I'm a little concerned that to accommodate the 24-200 equivalent zoom range Sony had to compromise on optical quality somehow. I have looked at some of your shots and they look really good though so hopefully Sony have managed to crack it.

I've no complaints about the IQ of the Mk6 so far so if there is any difference I've not noticed, I recall in the Sony blurb promoting the Mk6 that IQ was on top of the list.

I am in the process of selling all my canon gear & waiting for the MkV (A) to go on sale in august some time.:)
I have lugged DSLR stuff around for years,retired now i have had enough of all that.:banana:

Seems the Mk5 A version has the same processor and firmware as the Mk6, but retains the 24-70 lens, so essentially there are now now 2 options for the latest RX100 cameras, a version with a slighty faster 24-70 lens and the Mk6 with the slightly slower 24-200 lens, so pick what suits.

I'd assumed the VA just replaces the V outright once available (as it's easier for Sony to maintain with the VI), the Summer cashback only mentions the RX100M5 so if you're planning to buy I'd be a little worried it might not be eligible.

I would still rather have the V A one.
they have just got them in,but there are cheaper places.

Dear Customer,

We're getting in touch as per your email notification request.

The product Sony DSC RX100 VA Camera, DSCRX100M5A is now back in stock.

Please click on the product link above to visit our store to place an order!

Thank you!

UK Digital

Last edited:
I can understand the attraction of the 200mm,it just depends on what we all need.:)
The 24-70mm will suit me fine though.:banana:

Let's hope they have sorted out the screen delamination problem with these cameras.

I am really torn at the moment as i am now looking at the Canon G1X Mark III:):runaway:

The Canon may be a nice camera but it has a 24-70 f2.8 - 5.6 lens and it's much bigger and heavier than the RX100.
Doesn't look poketable either.
Personally I prefer the RX 100's but depends what you want.

I was just thinking that i could easily drop the little sony whereas the canon is easier to hold onto & would go in my coat pocket.:)
Still pondering:runaway:

I know,maybe i have been with canon for so long i just feel more at home with it.:)

my 15 year old took my mk2 to the Forest of Dean last week for his silver DofE.

It was pretty horrible to start with

wet doesn't describe it
by damianmkv, on Flickr

swollen
by damianmkv, on Flickr

murky
by damianmkv, on Flickr

next day was better

whispy light
by damianmkv, on Flickr

golden
by damianmkv, on Flickr

mist
by damianmkv, on Flickr

no more than 6 people at a time on here..and no bouncing

a bridge too far ?
by damianmkv, on Flickr

perfect travel camera for him. Even his mates were impressed !

I have decided to take the plunge and order the Sony RX100 as a replacement for my FUJI X10. I have managed to get one from Amazon spain delivered to the uk for the price of £372 pounds including delivery. A massive saving on the standard uk price. The price includes two day delivery as well.

It should be here monday or tuesday,i will update with some pictures after i receive it.
dont suppose by any chance you still have it Adrian,i fancy one again :LOL::LOL:

Back