Sony RX100

I was away working:( at the "Abu Dhabi GP" at the weekend and also working in the pit lane was a French photographer loaded up to the hilt with Sony gear. I haven't a clue just what cameras etc he was using as I'm not familiar with Sony kit.

Anyway I got chatting to him and asked what he thought of the Sony mirrorless system cameras and he was very enthusiastic about them. One that he did have in a pocket was a tiny little thing that he called his after event camera (something he used after all other gear was packed away) and it was a Sony RX100 vi and he let me try it out for a short while. I was absolutely blown away with the performance of this little unit, the speed of focus, continuous frames per second, decent zoom range, very sharp lens, good view finder, and pretty good quality images etc, etc. I was so impressed with this little camera that yes you've guessed it I've ordered one together with a couple of extra batteries and an external charger that should be delivered tomorrow.

So I kinda guess I might be occasionally sticking the odd snap taken with it in this thread.:D:D

George.

I was away working:( at the "Abu Dhabi GP" at the weekend and also working in the pit lane was a French photographer loaded up to the hilt with Sony gear. I haven't a clue just what cameras etc he was using as I'm not familiar with Sony kit.

Anyway I got chatting to him and asked what he thought of the Sony mirrorless system cameras and he was very enthusiastic about them. One that he did have in a pocket was a tiny little thing that he called his after event camera (something he used after all other gear was packed away) and it was a Sony RX100 vi and he let me try it out for a short while. I was absolutely blown away with the performance of this little unit, the speed of focus, continuous frames per second, decent zoom range, very sharp lens, good view finder, and pretty good quality images etc, etc. I was so impressed with this little camera that yes you've guessed it I've ordered one together with a couple of extra batteries and an external charger that should be delivered tomorrow.

So I kinda guess I might be occasionally sticking the odd snap taken with it in this thread.:D:D

George.
Just looked it up, and it does look good. Missus has asked me" what do you want for Christmas?". Looking at the price, I don't think I will mention the camera to her.

Just looked it up, and it does look good. Missus has asked me" what do you want for Christmas?". Looking at the price, I don't think I will mention the camera to her.

I guess compared with other compact units they are a tad expensive, but Hey!! what the heck. This little camera sure was good though.:)

George.

I guess compared with other compact units they are a tad expensive, but Hey!! what the heck. This little camera sure was good though.:)

George.
I did look at the Sony RX100 mk1 and mk11, but I ended up with the Canon G7X mk11. I like the look of the RX100 mk vi, with the good zoom range and view finder. I certainly could be tempted, but my pockets are not that deep. :(

Yikes £1,149.00 but it does have a 24-200mm lens. I will have to make do with my poxy little G7X. :(

Question for any one who knows the RX100M6.

I think I've worked most of the things out and really loving this little unit, but Is there anyway via the menus etc that I can get a live histogram up in the VF or on the Screen ? ie when I'm actually composing a snap.

Any help would be very much appreciated.(y)

George.

With my Mk5 the top of the ring cycles through screen options, one shows the histogram.
Not sure if I customised that button though.

With my Mk5 the top of the ring cycles through screen options, one shows the histogram.
Not sure if I customised that button though.

Many thanks for that, I’ll give it a go.(y)

George.

Guess I should pop my head in here and say "how do" given that I have picked up an original RX100.
Already loving the cababilities from the 1 inch sensor and the macro possibilities ath the short end are a bonus too!

One thing I did notice is that my camera is on firmware version 2 but Sony only go to 1.1 according to their website.
I believe the Mk3, 4 & 5 got version 2 so I'm curious what it brings to the original one.
Some mild reading online suggests autoISO in M mode.

Can anyone else confirm for sure what version 2 brings?

I have a problem with my RX100 now. It seems it won't read any of the memory cards I put in it. I can get it to read some of them if I physically hold the card a certainly but mostly it's just not happy. I imagine repairing the card reader (though it actually presents more like a software issue) would cost more than just buying a new camera.

Sorry posted in wrong thread. :banghead:

Last edited:
Three more very nice shots, #3 would be my fav' for its composition and restricted dof.

George.

Thank you, George. Hanging out a balcony helps the thought process when it comes to composition.
How are you finding your Mk6 ? Have you used it much ?

How are you finding your Mk6 ? Have you used it much ?

I like it “VERY MUCH” the quality of images it can produce is exceptional for just a little camera.

“I’ve not had a chance to use it too much at the moment as I’m still recovering from hospital surgery and can’t yet walk too far.

George.

Hope you get well soon, George. I look forward to seeing more pics from your MK6.

3 just arrived. As in Mk III, not 3 cameras! Was impressed with a mate's IQ and pocketability - looking forward to using it in anger on holiday in 10 days or so.

Got a Mkiv arriving today. Secondhand but wanted something smaller than my A7iii for evenings out on an upcoming trip to the US

I had an M3 last year but sold it during one of my rationalisation phases and regretted it. I've just bought Stuart's M1 and am so pleased with it - just getting to grips with it at the moment but here are a couple of quickies:-

My constant companion on my walkabouts
Jack Schnoodle by Andrew R, on Flickr

Just testing the Macro
Bramble by Andrew R, on Flickr

As my X100F is in the sea, just come back from Jessops as put in an order for the Sony RX100M3 so hope to pick up soon.

That's a positive "RESULT" in my book, I've never used an M3 but if the quality of lens etc is as good as my M6 you'll not be disappointed. They're fantastic little cameras and very nice to use once you get used to them. The files those little units can produce are not far short of the Fuji files that you're well used to. "ENJOY".

George.

That's a positive "RESULT" in my book, I've never used an M3 but if the quality of lens etc is as good as my M6 you'll not be disappointed. They're fantastic little cameras and very nice to use once you get used to them. The files those little units can produce are not far short of the Fuji files that you're well used to. "ENJOY".

George.

Thank you George, I had to get another small camera as want one for the up and coming London meet up.

Back