Sony RX100

I like them so much I have two, a III and V. ;) The latter replaced the former, and I don't need to get rid of the version III. Two can come in handy when I do timelapses, and have two different points of view.

As for being small and fiddly, it's a small camera, not much you can do. I had a Canon S95, which I was happy with, and Sony pretty much copied that design for the RX100 range, which says to me it is a good design.

Sony Menu's are not liked by many, but they don't seem to care, so you just get used to it like with any camera. :rolleyes: Once I set up the quick menu, I don't need to go into the main menu that often.

I have an RX100M6 and absolutely love it. Street photography is my main style of snapping and this little camera is just ideal for that. 24mm-200mm (FF equivalent) lens which is optically superb at any aperture & FL setting, extremely fast accurate focussing, plus many more features including excellent 4K video. And small enough for me to work virtually unnoticed.

Taken with my new-to-me RX100M2, bought here on the Market Place. I gave it an intense workout in London's Brick Lane on Sunday and came back with about 70 shots, at least a dozen of which are keepers. That's a very good hit rate for me, and it's mostly down to this little gem of a camera. The results are so good in jpeg that I didn't even need the raw files. In fact, the 'green box' mode gave me images that were at least as good as I could do in post-processing. And putting the B/W style on and shooting in A mode meant that I could just move the mode dial two notches in either direction to switch between my two main street-shooting styles. And the mono shots are wonderful straight out of the camera, with a nice, soft luma-noise 'grain'.

I'll share some of the better photos in here. I just wanted to start off with the first one from Brick Lane.

Hunky Dory by Garry Knight, on Flickr

I have the Rx100m7, what a great little camera. I have a small hand grip (JJC HG-RX100VII) that fits on it to help keep a good grip on it though. I like the fact that it can pack a punch but still fit in my pocket.

Taken with my new-to-me RX100M2, bought here on the Market Place. I gave it an intense workout in London's Brick Lane on Sunday and came back with about 70 shots, at least a dozen of which are keepers. That's a very good hit rate for me, and it's mostly down to this little gem of a camera. The results are so good in jpeg that I didn't even need the raw files. In fact, the 'green box' mode gave me images that were at least as good as I could do in post-processing. And putting the B/W style on and shooting in A mode meant that I could just move the mode dial two notches in either direction to switch between my two main street-shooting styles. And the mono shots are wonderful straight out of the camera, with a nice, soft luma-noise 'grain'.

I'll share some of the better photos in here. I just wanted to start off with the first one from Brick Lane.

Hunky Dory by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Very nice candid street style capture Garry, and good to see you posting on this thread with shots from your new to you RX. That lens sure does have some bite to it. I've never shot in JPG mode with my M6 or any other camera come to that but I really must give it a go some time.

"Brick Lane is on my list of places to visit this year for some street snapping"

Last edited:
I love my RX100Mk6, I've had the Mk1 and Mk4 but when the Mk6 was announced with the 24-200 zoom I bought one immediately.
The IQ is amazing as is the overall functionality of the camera.
It my carry about camera when I can't be bothered carrying my DSLR, fits in a jacket pocket so is so convenient to use.

A few taken today...

Door and windows.jpg

Downpipe and planter.jpg

Red doors.jpg

Very nice candid street style capture Garry, and good to see you posting on this thread with shots from your new to you RX. That lens sure does have some bite to it. I've never shot in JPG mode with my M6 or any other camera come to that but I really must give it a go some time.

"Brick Lane is on my list of places to visit this year for some street snapping"

Thanks, George. You might like to try your RX100 in one of the PASM modes with the B&W picture style, with DRO off. It yields pictures that are close to a high-contrast style that we've both used. There's a couple more monochrome styles in the Picture Effects, which I haven't got around to trying yet. The less processing I have to do, the more time I can spend shooting. And all I've had to do so far is a tiny bit of sharpening in some cases, and maybe a vignette to direct the viewer's eye.

Thanks, George. You might like to try your RX100 in one of the PASM modes with the B&W picture style, with DRO off. It yields pictures that are close to a high-contrast style that we've both used. There's a couple more monochrome styles in the Picture Effects, which I haven't got around to trying yet. The less processing I have to do, the more time I can spend shooting. And all I've had to do so far is a tiny bit of sharpening in some cases, and maybe a vignette to direct the viewer's eye.

Many thanks for that Garry, I might just do that I must admit I wasn't even aware of those settings, as being someone that likes to get the finest quality possible from any camera or cell phone I've always snapped in RAW. But I'm always willing to try new things so I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll certainly start posting on this thread again now that it's livened up a bit, just have to get some of my RX100 captures through PP which there are many but I should be able to get something posted sometime next week.

Last edited:
I have the Rx100m7, what a great little camera. I have a small hand grip (JJC HG-RX100VII) that fits on it to help keep a good grip on it though. I like the fact that it can pack a punch but still fit in my pocket.

Duncan, hope you don't mind but I have a question about the M7 that you can probably answer for me. I've got an RX100M6 which I absolutely love and I have thought on more than one occasion to upgrade to the M7 which you use but kept thinking via rumours that a M8 was coming out so I've held off but to no avail. What I'd like to know is have they cured the pop up view finder with regards to the diopter going out of adjustment after several uses? Its a known fault with the M6 so I've done a little modification to mine by adding a bit of Blu-Tack each side of the adjuster. When using it if I remember I also cushion the pop up action with one of my fingers and pretty much all of the time that works well but I just wondered if that known fault with the M6 has been fixed on the M7.

I love my RX100Mk6, I've had the Mk1 and Mk4 but when the Mk6 was announced with the 24-200 zoom I bought one immediately.
The IQ is amazing as is the overall functionality of the camera.
It my carry about camera when I can't be bothered carrying my DSLR, fits in a jacket pocket so is so convenient to use.

A few taken today...

View attachment 346263

View attachment 346264

View attachment 346265

Very nice colourful captures Paul, liking all of these very much.

"I too have a M6 which I love and that lens particularly around F4-F5.6 is absolutely superb but still extremely good at other apertures, and I don't know about you but mine seems just as good at any focal length"

Duncan, hope you don't mind but I have a question about the M7 that you can probably answer for me. I've got an RX100M6 which I absolutely love and I have thought on more than one occasion to upgrade to the M7 which you use but kept thinking via rumours that a M8 was coming out so I've held off but to no avail. What I'd like to know is have they cured the pop up view finder with regards to the diopter going out of adjustment after several uses? Its a known fault with the M6 so I've done a little modification to mine by adding a bit of Blu-Tack each side of the adjuster. When using it if I remember I also cushion the pop up action with one of my fingers and pretty much all of the time that works well but I just wondered if that known fault with the M6 has been fixed on the M7.
I don't know, I've never had that problem with my m7, I just let it pop up. I wear glasses and need quite a bit of adjustment on the dioptre and I think I would have noticed if it was a problem. It's a fiddly thing to change as well so I can understand your frustration.

I don't know, I've never had that problem with my m7, I just let it pop up. I wear glasses and need quite a bit of adjustment on the dioptre and I think I would have noticed if it was a problem. It's a fiddly thing to change as well so I can understand your frustration.

Many thanks for that Duncan, much appreciated.

I'm a bit bored at the moment as I'm currently in hospital in London recovering from some surgery but hopefully I'll be released tomorrow and will no doubt have to take it a bit easy for few days.

But being here has given me some time to think which way I'm going to go with my street snapping (which is what I like the most). Although I always take my "RX100M6" out with me regardless of what other kit I have with me I'm pretty sure I could easily get by with just taking out the M6 and believe it or not my "iPhone 12 Pro Max". That would give me the FF equivalent focal length lenses ranging from 13mm to 200mm with image quality that is easily good enough for what I shoot, and both units able to go into the leg pockets of a pair of cargos.

I normally drift about with a Fuji-X-H1 and an 18-55mm lens attached as standard together with a 55-200mm lens in my bag, and sometimes a 10-24mm as well, and although that set up is very nice with excellent quality files it is a bit cumbersome to cart around when its not really needed. In most cases one can have difficulty distinguishing the difference in file quality between the Sony RX and the Fuji. The lens on the RX is every bit as sharp as any of the Fuji zoom lenses and although I don't do much low light snapping I have used the RX at 3200-ISO on many occasions and the files have been more than usable.

I'll probably hang on to the M6 for the time being just to see if Sony are going to release an "RX100M8" but if not I think I've more or less decided to go for the "RX100M7" mainly because of the better focusing and tracking capabilities both with stills & video. So at the moment that's my line of thought for the future of my street snapping.

I've created a thread solely for any "SONY RX CAMERA". There is this thread of coarse for the RX100 series and a bridge camera thread that includes the RX10 series. But all of the RX cameras innards are similar ie sensors, processing power, focus etc, etc but apart from different lenses and a few other features they are pretty much the same and of equal image output quality.

Neither of this or the other thread mentioned are super active but combined I feel it could work very well, so let's give it a go and see what transpires.

Last edited:
Chasing the sunrise this morning with my m7. It was nowhere to be seen today, but I did get this which I was quite pleased with.View attachment 347123

Very nice landscape style capture Duncan, nicely composed & love the pastel colours.

"Can I interest you posting this and any other RX material on the "Sony RX United Series Thread" that I have recently created.? Would sure like to see your work on there"

I shouldn't actually be out & about just yet having only come out of hospital on Thursday after surgery, but yesterday I decided to be careful and try and do a bit of street snapping for a couple of hours. For the first time ever I only took my "RX100M6" and my "iPhone 12 Pro Max" with me and to my surprise after culling the snaps that were all taken on my RX I have no less than eleven keepers. For me that's a pretty good day's/couple of hours snapping, let me tell you now this little "RX100M6" is one hell of a good and capable camera.

Yesterday I was singing the praises of my "RX100M6" and I still am. Before I ventured out with it to do some street snapping I set up different settings and put them into the MR settings, these mainly being different minimum shutter speeds for various types of shot which worked very well indeed.

One of the other things I love about this little camera is the ability to use the control ring around the lens to select different FF equivalent focal length settings on the lens, these being 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm, 90mm, 100mm, 135mm, 200mm all built in presets within the unit. Being able to instantly go to one of these FF equivalent focal lengths is just like having a whole bunch of prime lenses with you without the hassle of having to carry them or change a lens. Also my go to focal length is 50mm equivalent and if this or any other setting is the last focal length setting you used when shutting the camera down in MR mode when you crank up the camera again it goes straight to that focal length, so for me I set it at 50mm when shutting down and hey as soon as I crank the unit up again it sets the lens at the 50mm setting. "VOILA"

Last edited:
how beginner friendly do you think these are? My stepdaughter wants to get into photography now so I said I would get her a good compact from a few years back and if she likes the whole thing then we would spend some money on something a bit more modern. Anyway, I was looking at the M4 version which can be had quite cheaply online now, the only thing that puts me off a little is the control dial setup. Being used to the nikons and fuji camera's that have wheels and knobs everywhere this looks a little bare. I want her to have a fully controllable camera which she can then learn from to move on to the bigger things if need be.

how beginner friendly do you think these are? My stepdaughter wants to get into photography now so I said I would get her a good compact from a few years back and if she likes the whole thing then we would spend some money on something a bit more modern. Anyway, I was looking at the M4 version which can be had quite cheaply online now, the only thing that puts me off a little is the control dial setup. Being used to the nikons and fuji camera's that have wheels and knobs everywhere this looks a little bare. I want her to have a fully controllable camera which she can then learn from to move on to the bigger things if need be.

Ashley, you've got all the controls you could ever need on an RX100 series. Not on dials (there's just not the room for them) as with Nikon & Fuji but everything is within the menus and you can put your settings into your own memory for quick access. The menus can take a bit of getting used to, this is a known grip with any Sony camera but once you get used to them there's no problem.

Last edited:

I use both Fuji and Sony compacts and both have their pros and cons. I actually prefer using the Fujis (X-10. 20 & 30) to the Sony but the smaller size of the Sony (and its usability and IQ) mean that it's that that goes away on holiday with me - it slips into a shirt pocket when I CBA to carry the Fuji system around (that's an interchangeable lens system, not the baby X s!) I have the Sony 3 so the zoom range is shorter than later models.

Yes, if you (she) want to get to grips with settings, the RX100 is a bit fiddlesome. It can be done, fully manually too, but it's harder to do quickly.

Hi everyone,

I have a Sony RX100 III for traveling. I loved it and it's flexibility. Sadly it has died and the expense of repairing it is the same as buying a new camera.

I would still love a camera that is small with a better optical zoom lens range. The RX100 VII seems good and I have found a grey market one for £729. The only thing putting me off is low light quality. Does anyone have experience with it in low light and is it really that bad? I have tried to find the VI but it's coming out as the same or more expensive than the VII.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have a Sony RX100 III for traveling. I loved it and it's flexibility. Sadly it has died and the expense of repairing it is the same as buying a new camera.

I would still love a camera that is small with a better optical zoom lens range. The RX100 VII seems good and I have found a grey market one for £729. The only thing putting me off is low light quality. Does anyone have experience with it in low light and is it really that bad? I have tried to find the VI but it's coming out as the same or more expensive than the VII.

Thanks

I have the Sony RX100 VII, bought it just as the first lockdown started, initially to carry on walks. Now I carry it everywhere, unless I have my D750's with me. I restrict its highest ISO to 400, but prefer to shoot at ISO 100. I've used it for personal photography, and for stock and reportage contributed to Alamy. Then I'll often downsize to 3000 pixels on the longest side, and up to 4000 pixels. For stock my images have to be perfect when viewed at 100%. They have sold. I use it as a fine weather camera, and in contrasty light sometimes discard images that have had the shadows opened up and then show noise. I had no trouble shooting my cat as he woke and yawned, in poor light and I think at ISO 3200 and almost wide open. I downsized to around 1400 pixels on the long side to keep the noise acceptable. The RX100 is good for its size, but no substitute for my old DX Nikons, or my current FF Nikons.

Hi everyone,

Thanks

I have an "RX100M6" and an "RX10M4" (same sensor) and use them these days for pretty much everything I snap. If its of any help my main style of snapping is street styled stuff and I regularly use them up to 3200 ISO with no adverse effects and the lens on the M6 & M7 is absolutely "Excellent" and easily compares with any zoom lens that I have used on my Fuji-X units.

For more help with this take a look at the bird photography of @dibbly dobbler (on the RX United Series thread & the High End Bridge Camera thread) who uses an "RX10M4" (same sensor) for just what can be achieved with cameras using the same 1 Inch sensor.

I shall be upgrading in the not too distant future to "RX100M7" for the faster focus & tracking and also for the mic input to use for some of my video work.

Last edited:
As I still have to be taking things a bit easy at the moment I decided to get my "RX100M6" and my "RX10M4" into my studio for the first time ever during the last few days, just to experiment and see what their capabilities are like under controlled lighting etc.

I had to juggle a bit with the M6 to fire the studio flash units but managed it by putting a shield in front of the inbuilt flash to stop it from affecting the lighting on the subject matter but still give enough reflected light to fire the slaves on the studio flash units. The M4 was obviously easier as its got a hot shoe that will trigger an attached radio unit and fire the studio flash units. No trouble with flash sync speeds as both units sync flash at any speed, however I did keep the M4 down to 1/125th as there is a slight latency when using a radio trigger with my particular set up and the units that are furthest from the trigger fire a fraction of a second later than the others.

Most of the snaps are in the close up region but some are macro using a macro attachment that I had made for my RX10M4 and have since made an adapter to enable me to use it with my RX100M6. It does enable me to get as close as about twice life size with either camera.

Some of the results will eventually find their way on to this thread but let me tell you now I'm very very pleased at the resulting snaps and far exceed my expectations.

I have an "RX100M6" and an "RX10M4" (same sensor) and use them these days for pretty much everything I snap. If its of any help my main style of snapping is street styled stuff and I regularly use them up to 3200 ISO with no adverse effects and the lens on the M6 & M7 is absolutely "Excellent" and easily compares with any zoom lens that I have used on my Fuji-X units.

For more help with this take a look at the bird photography of @dibbly dobbler (on the RX United Series thread & the High End Bridge Camera thread) who uses an "RX10M4" (same sensor) for just what can be achieved with cameras using the same 1 Inch sensor.

I shall be upgrading in the not too distant future to "RX100M7" for the faster focus & tracking and also for the mic input to use for some of my video work.

Thank you for your feedback. I was wondering if the differences between the M6 and M7 are really that different? I've seen some posts about the M6 being slightly better in low light but on paper they have the same sensor sizes etc. Therefore it seems quite strange that it would perform better.

Also, it seems that the M7 just has slightly better video capabilities. What do people think about the two?

Thank you for your feedback. I was wondering if the differences between the M6 and M7 are really that different? I've seen some posts about the M6 being slightly better in low light but on paper they have the same sensor sizes etc. Therefore it seems quite strange that it would perform better.

Also, it seems that the M7 just has slightly better video capabilities. What do people think about the two?

Same size sensor but an improved version of it.

Something you might find interesting for anyone that is considering the purchase of the "RX100M7" which I will be getting in the near future. The video is a tad long but covers the features of the AF thoroughly and then goes into pretty much all of the menu settings. I found it very interesting and have saved it for future reference for when I get my M7.

View: https://youtu.be/fXKhJgnb9mg

Back