Sony RX100

ShrubMonkey said:
The Sony leather case was a ripoff for £50+, so I got a cheap version on eBay for about £12, not the best fitting case on close inspection, but still looks decent for the money.

I was lucky I got the Sony case for £30 used off the classifieds. I tried to use a Lowepro before that and found it to be to prohibitive. The Sony case lets you keep it in your pocket and I think that is really important. The only other option I reckon is use a screen protector and no case, a bit like most people do with an iPhone.

Richie15 said:
I was lucky I got the Sony case for £30 used off the classifieds. I tried to use a Lowepro before that and found it to be to prohibitive. The Sony case lets you keep it in your pocket and I think that is really important. The only other option I reckon is use a screen protector and no case, a bit like most people do with an iPhone.

Yep I had a Lowepro case but hated it, so tight fitting, I have the same style of case (posted above) that was much cheaper than the official Sony case. Really like that design, had the same style on my previous GF3 too.

We bought a lowepro case for ours [it's mine ... the missus still thinks I bought it for her though ....] $12 in B&H. It was initially a little tight, but it seems to have loosened up nicely. Pops in and out with ease.

no firmware updates so far for the RX100
Dave

I use an old hard shell panasonic lumix case for mine fits in perfectly snug with just enough room for a spare battery.

We bought a lowepro case for ours [it's mine ... the missus still thinks I bought it for her though ....] $12 in B&H. It was initially a little tight, but it seems to have loosened up nicely. Pops in and out with ease.

Thanks - any idea what model?

I had a quick search earlier and think v1.00 is the current firmware mine is same which arrived today :)
Just my GX1 and 45mm too go then all my M43 gear has gone :|

Cheers - don't want to miss out on anything

no firmware updates so far for the RX100
Dave

Thanks

I use an old hard shell panasonic lumix case for mine fits in perfectly snug with just enough room for a spare battery.

I will take a look on eBay - thanks

Looks like I will be selling off my M43 plus a couple of lens which hopefully will fund getting the Sony RX100.

I have Lightroom 3.6 and Elements 9, unfortunately neither will display raw files from the RX100 so I believe. Grudgingly I'm going to have to update one of them If I want to edit raw, will probably end up upgrading to Lightroom 4 and binning Elements.

What are most of you guys using to edit RX 100 raw files, No way I could afford CS6. I don't understand why Adobe can't include their LR 3.6 to be compatible with ACR 7.??, it's not as if it is ancient software.
Is this going to be the new standards set by Adobe, Once a new version of LR comes out the previous versions will be forced to upgrade for ACR compatibility.

Still going to get this RX100 though, I've been wanting a high quality P&S for a while now with pocketabilty and everyone seems over the moon with theirs. Will I miss my GF-1 +20mm lens and 100 300 lens which I'll need to sell.

Anyone had any regrets with their rx100?..is it as good as you thought it would be or are there things that have disappointed you about the camera at all..

I use Lightroom to do most of mine, but for HDR and multiple exposure stuff i use CS6. The RX100 has been the best buy i have ever made when it comes to photography, i no longer feel im sacrificing quality by not taking the dslr with me.

Last edited:
don't understand why Adobe can't include their LR 3.6 to be compatible with ACR 7.??, it's not as if it is ancient software.
Is this going to be the new standards set by Adobe, Once a new version of LR comes out the previous versions will be forced to upgrade for ACR compatibility.

Basically, yes.

I can understand your frustration but look at it from the other side. Developing s/w costs money and somebody has to pay for it. Providing upgrades to (say) v3 would impact sales of v4 and so make v4 more expensive.

If you want to blame somebody, then blame Sony. There was literally no need to create a new raw format - we have plenty of others that older versions of Adobe do support. There are even self expanding formats (like DNG) so you can add new features without changing the format. But every new camera seems to use a new file format.

If you don't want to pay them money, then you can get the free DNG converter from Adobe here. Version 7.2 supports the Sony RX100 and creates a (raw) DNG file that can be read by any version of Lightroom back to version 1.

I convert all mine to DNG on importing to Lightroom anyway.

Sounds like DNG could be the answer, Thank goodness M$oft don't do the same with their new versions of Windows making all programs we use in Win 7 for example incompatible with Win 8.
Sorry for going OT, I'm definitely sold on the RX 100, off now to see what I can get for my M43 stuff.

Sounds like DNG could be the answer, Thank goodness M$oft don't do the same with their new versions of Windows making all programs we use in Win 7 for example incompatible with Win 8.

It would be more like saying that if you save a document in the very latest version of Word that an older version of Word wouldn't be able to open it (which is kind of true). You could of course just use an .RTF file - like you could use .JPG ;)

But this ain't the business forum and nobody mentioned weddings so there's no need to split hairs :D Just go buy one - you'll love it.

Or just grab yourself a beer...

[YOUTUBE]5hyM7oai-tg[/YOUTUBE]

Holy Moly ! just ordered a Sony RX100 and LR4 from Amazon about ten minutes ago :puke::puke: now the big problem is, do I tell my lovely wife cos she will find out eventually. Looking for new excuses now for the morning, blaming TP members doesn't work any more. :help::LOL:

Roll on Wednesday when it is supposed to come.

Anyone had any regrets with their rx100?..is it as good as you thought it would be or are there things that have disappointed you about the camera at all..

Nope. My missus loves hers. Though she doesn't use it enough, she brings it everywhere. I've used it when we were out and about and I didn't have my gear on me. It's a cracker for it's size, no problem shooting high ISO shots in bars and clubs, for example - bit of noise above 1600 but as easily cleaned up as D800 files maybe a little higher on the ISO.

The results can be very, very good indeed, if you don't mind your processing. I tend to process every image I take, no matter the equipment used, so it's no issue for me.

Got this camera this afternoon and quite impressed with this little powerhouse.
Not had a proper chance to put it throught it's paces. Still need to familiarise myself with the settings.
1st pic from the kitchen while making tonights tea.
Veg.jpg

What settings where you at there?

Here's one of the first pics I tested with it, think it shows off what you can do with ISO 3200 on it, though I didn't actually need that level for the image so it's a bit over exposed. Straight off-cam though, nil by processing.

RX100 'SOOC' JPEG tester ISO 3200 by Cagey75, on Flickr

Hi all,

Considering purchasing the RX100 this week

Does anybody know if the official Sony leather case LCJ-RXA fits the RX100 with the Franiec grip (or similar) attached?

Cheers

Blue

Omnicentre cinema complex, Handheld in scene/twilight-handheld mode, quite happy with this for a handheld night time shot. Glad I got this camera now.

DSC00034-4.jpg

Thank you. I actually had my slr gear in the car but chose the rx100 for it's convenience, knowing that I wouldn't be disappointed with the IQ!

This thread has persuaded me to get a rx100. Does anyone know of any deals or decent prices anywhere?

Bought mine from here, good price, but out of stock at the moment, 5 year warranty offered for what its worth.
It came sealed, good comms and no shutter counts
My camera was made in Japan some I have read are made in China again, not sure if there is any difference, personal preference I suppose.
http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-camera.html

Dave

Last edited:
redhed17 said:
Looking at the Camerapricebuster link, it surprised me how few places seem to be selling the RX100. :thinking:

Camerapricebuster is very unreliable because its data is so patchy. When I was shopping around for my last camera, the site was missing several well known retailers, and giving a "lowest price" that was £2-300 higher than I paid.

Back