Sony RX100

Mine came today from wex. Paid 30 quid more than that other place but you get a Sony class 10 sdhc card and a proper spare battery as part of the price.
It came in less than 24 hours too so no complaints .

Mine came today from wex. Paid 30 quid more than that other place but you get a Sony class 10 sdhc card and a proper spare battery as part of the price.
It came in less than 24 hours too so no complaints .

I bought mine from the same place last week, not happy with buying from the likes of Panamoz etc, I'd rather put my cash in the Uk economy than someone elses...it's needs all the help it can get at the minute too...anyway, about the RX100, very impressed so far, great functionality and the iso performance even at 3200 is pretty good. I just downloaded the Gary Friedman "user guide" too which is brilliant!!

Simon

In Mumbai for work at the moment, managed to get out for a wander this afternoon with my trusty travel companion....

DSC02450 by cmashworth, on Flickr

DSC02397 by cmashworth, on Flickr

DSC02437 by cmashworth, on Flickr

DSC02449 by cmashworth, on Flickr

All shot in RAW and pulled the hell out of the shadows as it was some incredibly difficult lighting conditions, some amazing dynamic range this little thing can capture.

Hi guys

I have been lurking here for a while. RX100 seems to be excellent street photography camera. I already own NEX7 and since its arrival my Nikon D3S kit gathers dust.
Does anyone have experience with both NEX and RX100? How does image quality compare. I understand RX100 is quite a bit disadvantaged here due to smaller sensor size, even if it's the biggest amongst compact cameras.
Can RX100 be completely silent like Fuji X100? Does it have a leaf shutter?

Enjoy your shooting.

The Fuji X100 isn't completely silent, the RX100 is maybe a little louder, but certainly unless you are in a library no-one is going to hear it! It's a lot quieter than the NEX and M4/3 kit I've used.

The Fuji X100 isn't completely silent, the RX100 is maybe a little louder, but certainly unless you are in a library no-one is going to hear it! It's a lot quieter than the NEX and M4/3 kit I've used.
Thanks for the reply.
I know Fuji isn't completely silent, but on the street I doubt one could hear the shutter.

Thanks for the reply.
I know Fuji isn't completely silent, but on the street I doubt one could hear the shutter.

Can barely hear it in my kitchen!

The RX100 is slightly louder but both are extremely quiet - just like a compact with the electric sound turned off.

alterstill said:
Hi guys

I have been lurking here for a while. RX100 seems to be excellent street photography camera. I already own NEX7 and since its arrival my Nikon D3S kit gathers dust.
Does anyone have experience with both NEX and RX100? How does image quality compare. I understand RX100 is quite a bit disadvantaged here due to smaller sensor size, even if it's the biggest amongst compact cameras.
Can RX100 be completely silent like Fuji X100? Does it have a leaf shutter?

Enjoy your shooting.

I don't have NEX to compare it to but I can tell you that IQ from RX100 is very impressive for any camera, let alone a small compact like this.

Shutter is also very quiet. Since you are in ABZ I noticed today John Lewis on George St. have an RX100 on display if you wanted to have a play with it.

On page 10 in this thread I posted pics of a rubber grip I bought for the Rx100, I guess he means that? no idea what SC is though?

I can tell you that the grip is still firm in place ;)

I got a Richard Franiec grip for my rx100, it really does help with the ergonomics.

I agree with Stuart about the Franiec grip, I also got the Richard Franiec grip. Easy to fit and doesn't really increase the size much for putting camera in your pocket.

:thinking:Have the funds for this now..but also considering the lx7..mmm help!:LOL:

I agree with Stuart about the Franiec grip, I also got the Richard Franiec grip. Easy to fit and doesn't really increase the size much for putting camera in your pocket.

Same here...received the grip from Richard last week, pretty much an essential addition IMHO..really enjoying the RX100, even ISO3200 is good especially when using one of the very clever "multi-frame" modes

Simon

:thinking:Have the funds for this now..but also considering the lx7..mmm help!:LOL:

Tried both extensively, the RX100 is the better camera in my view (and the one I stumped up the cash for). You can't go too far wrong with either of them though :)

I had the option of lx7 or rx100 and went with the rx100. Couldnt be more happy with it. Really handy to have in my pocket when I am out with the 7d and 500mm. I used to own a 17-40 but never bothered putting it on the 7d. I dont miss it at all now I have the rx100.

:shake:Guess the compact will have to wait a while yet..blew the cash on a nikon 105mm vr:cautious:

Just thought I'd share this picture of a Red Deer stag I took recently in the Scottish Highlands with the RX100. Reduced significantly for posting but pretty impressive when viewed at full res.

H-10.jpg

Just thought I'd share this picture of a Red Deer stag I took recently in the Scottish Highlands with the RX100. Reduced significantly for posting but pretty impressive when viewed at full res.

Fantastic Lee, just shows what this little camera can do, obviously your skills were at play here too Lee :)

well, i was going to sell my hx9 and partyshot to help fund a new lens, now I have read this thread I just bought the RX100 from the Sony outlet, listed as £390, 10% off easter code takes it to £351 and 2% quidco..

wife's gonna kill me!

Also enjoying the RX100, surprising the detail in the images.

Stow_Combine_small.jpg

And a 1:1 crop.

1-1_crop.jpg

And all from the Jpeg too.

well, i was going to sell my hx9 and partyshot to help fund a new lens, now I have read this thread I just bought the RX100 from the Sony outlet, listed as £390, 10% off easter code takes it to £351 and 2% quidco..

wife's gonna kill me!

Excellent, good luck with your wife ;)

Also enjoying the RX100, surprising the detail in the images.

And all from the Jpeg too.

Nice capture, very sharp.

I took my RX100 on holiday last week, not able to use all my other gear, but great having the RX100 with me at all times.

Just noticed that the RX100 is now the top Sony camera on flickr in terms of activity. Not bad considering it's not even a year old and it's ahead of all the NEX's and SLT's

Excellent, good luck with your wife ;)

yeh, the refurb broke within the hour, so i bought a brand new one instead. amazed at the picture quality compared to the hx9, more like the SLT i own quality wise.

Just had the first chance to get out with the RX100 and take a few landscapes..taken in bright sun so not the best lighting, the amount of detail it captures continues to impress me

Llyn Gwynant, Snowdonia

Cnicht, Snowdonia

Chirk Castle, North Wales

I bought an infra red filter cheapo 720 off ebay and it works a treat with the RX100, am sure you don't want to see my garden test shots but foliage is very white so has a good effect!

I bought an infra red filter cheapo 720 off ebay and it works a treat with the RX100, am sure you don't want to see my garden test shots but foliage is very white so has a good effect!

Interested in that myself, got the link?

Back