Sony Taking the camera phone to a whole new level!!

Don't really see the point in these, if you're going to carry lenses around why not just take a DSLR!

Eh? It's a single compact, do-all, lens that, when connected to your smartphone, can do a lot more than any DSLR. It fits in your pocket and costs from ~£180.

I can see loads of points. :)

So it's a compact camera with interchangeable lenses but has no viewfinder or controls on the unit, but instead requires a smartphone to act as the interface? Interesting concept.

So it's a compact camera with interchangeable lenses but has no viewfinder or controls on the unit, but instead requires a smartphone to act as the interface? Interesting concept.

No interchangeable lenses - one lens (from a choice of two) with the sensor built-in. Smartphone is the 'body' and software etc.

so the sensors is in the lens and not the camera?
confusing, just controlled by the smartphone?
well that makes more sense than trying to attach them to the camera's own small sensor.
I was very dubious but surely it would be better to have something that was more rugged, with a lens that is protected internally.
I don't know...like a compact camera? that wifi's to your phone.
or a more competent device on which you can change the lens.

personally I don't see this taking off.

What can it do that ANY DSLR cannot?

You left out the important bit, 'when connected to your smartphone' - its intended (only?) purpose.

Image editing (Photoshop Express, Snapseed, panorama stitching etc. etc.), instant upload to any web service, GPS tagging (I know some DSLRs do this now) and so on. The software is where it trumps most dedicated cameras, including DSLRs. It can also function wirelessly, placing the lens and sensor in one location, and the 'body' in another.

This product isn't aimed at 'us' (DSLR owners), but that doesn't make it pointless, and that was my point.

Interesting concept, but the only thing it's sold me on has been an eye-fi card for my compact instead. Same functionality (wireless upload to tablet), less cost.

Back