Sony vs Fuji

Not sure I'd be comfortable shooting weddings with the likes of 56mm f1.2 or even 23mm F1.4.
Not sure what Nikon you use but something like 35mm/1.8 or 85mm/1.8 (on D750) are incredibly dependable in terms of nailing AF. Couldn't say the same for the Fuji lenses despite X-T3 being a rather good body.

Very few cameras win a beauty contest but Fujis certainly do.

The F2 range are about as fast as you'd ever need, 23, 35, 50, 90. The 16-55 2.8 zoom is also very nippy, if I ever miss a shot using that I know it's my fault

Had an a6300, currently have an a6500.

They ideal need a constant set of 2.8 zooms.

Can't argue with that. Thought you were keeping the d750's until they died?

Its my feminine side showing through :D

New handbag is out with more features, therefore my old bestest ever handbag is now s*** :D

Dave

The F2 range are about as fast as you'd ever need, 23, 35, 50, 90. The 16-55 2.8 zoom is also very nippy, if I ever miss a shot using that I know it's my fault

Sure but those aren't the lenses of interest as per the post I originally quoted.

Not sure I'd be comfortable shooting weddings with the likes of 56mm f1.2 or even 23mm F1.4.

Since you're not a Wedding tog I'm not sure that matters lol

I do know well a couple of Fellows (as in Fellowships not just blokes!) in Weddings who do use those all the time - so I'm good with it :)

Dave

Sure but those aren't the lenses of interest as per the post I originally quoted.

The're some of the faster AF lenses for the Fuji system, thought you were saying Fuji was unreliable for AF in general

I do know well a couple of Fellows (as in Fellowships not just blokes!) in Weddings who do use those all the time - so I'm good with it :)

Dave

How do you know I am not ;)

Fair enough if you are able to deliver I guess it doesn't matter.

The're some of the faster AF lenses for the Fuji system, thought you were saying Fuji was unreliable for AF in general

Not at all. Just a few older lenses are slow. They are reliable tbh just a bit on the slower side.
An update to the lens AF gear would help to keep up with advancements in their latest bodies.

I find the 16/1,4 and 56/1,2 pretty fast and reliable. The 18mm is slow in low light but the 35/2 is very fast

Last edited by a moderator:
How did we ever cope with our MF speeds? Even the most sluggish lens I use is faster (and more accurate!) to focus than I was.

Dave

Interestingly, at the photography show this year I watch a talk from a wedding tog that shoots with various Fuji cameras. He loved all of them and produced some properly stunning stuff.

I am a canon 7Dii dslr and snoy NEX5R owner.
Currently I am borrowing a sony A6500 and I must say if i just had the A6500 and canon glass i would be very happy.

I have chatted to some amateur togs who have purchased a fuji 'starter' bundle / kit to use along side their dslr be it canon or nikon.
It seems to be marmite, some like Fuji some do not.
I want to use a fuji as I really like the retro styling, though my wife hates it !

IMO I think sony is very good ego system now and will yield great results. Fuji are a great alternative and again one would not be disappointed. So personal choice of how it looks, feels, menu system, lens selection and price need to be evaluated.
For me I am not keen on using another platform to process RAW files from the fuji cameras.
That for me is the sticking point.

I am a canon 7Dii dslr and snoy NEX5R owner.
Currently I am borrowing a sony A6500 and I must say if i just had the A6500 and canon glass i would be very happy.

I have chatted to some amateur togs who have purchased a fuji 'starter' bundle / kit to use along side their dslr be it canon or nikon.
It seems to be marmite, some like Fuji some do not.
I want to use a fuji as I really like the retro styling, though my wife hates it !

IMO I think sony is very good ego system now and will yield great results. Fuji are a great alternative and again one would not be disappointed. So personal choice of how it looks, feels, menu system, lens selection and price need to be evaluated.
For me I am not keen on using another platform to process RAW files from the fuji cameras.
That for me is the sticking point.

Not all Fuji bodies are designed 'retro' - look at the X-H1, it's more dslr-like. It's possibly the toughest APSC ML body out there atm, [in fact it's tougher than most FF ML too] really solid and well built. Also, on the processing, why would you need to use another platform? I'm still using LR to process my Fuji files without any issues. You just need to set it up right from the off. I have only mentioned this the other day, Adobe seem to think Fuji RAF files require a sharpening value of 40 by default - the fact is Fuji files require much less sharpening than most, and 40 is way over the top. What happens is when this is the start point, amd people are adding their own touches on top it can cause weird effects. I just changed the default to 20 and bye bye weird artifacts, I also mostly do masking along with any added sharpening so it's only affecting my main subject not the background [Alt +sharpen slider until you only highlight what you need sharpened, and even then use sparingly]. You can look through any images I've posted recently and you won't find any odd artifacts or 'worms' as some like to call it. And it really was as simple as changing a few settings and not going OTT on sharpening.

Last edited:
Back