Sony X10 smartphone?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all :wave:

I am about to upgrade to this and would appreciate any opinions ... good or bad :)

I've just got one....I think its awesome. Great app store, very stylish, It has a fantastic screen and is very responsive. however..

I am getting my 6th one today becasue,

on all the models I have had, for no warning, it will randomly go on mute when playing media, either oniline on on the phone. It will still have ringtones, but any media will be on silent. I have to then switch off, and on and it will be ok.

My 2nd gripe is the battery life. With hardly any use, I struggle to get a day out of it, and thats with everything (wifi, bluetooth) turned off.

However, another member on here has the X10, and doesn't have any problems at all. Maybe vodafone have a bad batch or something?

I'd get it, but see if you have those problems.

Thanks Lawrence, I'll certainly check it over properly. :cool:

got offered one of these but took the free iphone upgrade with my contract

If the HTC Desire is available, check it out.
Current reviews show it to be the best new Android phone.

I saw one in the shop today, they look HUGE!!!

If the HTC Desire is available, check it out.
Current reviews show it to be the best new Android phone.

Yep, if you haven't looked at the Desire yet do that too, at the moment the Desire and the X10 are arguably the best smartphones on the market at the moment, both similar but slightly different.

Does the X10 use the Android market place?

Yup

I saw one in the shop today, they look HUGE!!!

They are about the same size as most of the other smartphones on the market, and an almost identical size to the Touch HD, HD2, Desire and Nexus 1:)

Hi all, just a quick update! ... I looked at both the Desire and the X10 and went for the X10 as that gave me the best deal of the two :) I'm still amazed at what it can do :cool: .. Just installed Google sky maps for free! Must admit I'm seriously impressed.

Thanks all for your help (y)

Steve

Android market is picking up fast :) I'm waiting for my Desire to turn up this week & can't wait. iPhone is just becoming too restrictive now. I think a lot of people are going to change android.

Got a desire a few days ago, awesome compared to my old sony ericsson k800i :D and not too bad a deal from Orange. I needed a new phone cause I could hardy read txt on smaller screen, no problem now. I checked reviews for both phones and it seems the desire always came out on top.
As I'm a lttle hard of hearing the quiet speaker on the X10 didn't appeal to me so I think this is what steered me to the Desire, plus I think the esire looks just a touch classier than the X10 plasticy case.

Camera wise I think it's ok (so far) but Sony have always had the better camera. It's not too important to me since I have a perfectly good dslr and lens in my bag.

I'd be wary of being an early adopter of SE's first foray into the smartphone/Android market.

Plus I love Lawrence's post in reply to the OP where he says he absolutely loves it, has been seriously impressed etc, yet is on his 6th one because all the previous ones have had things go wrong.

I briefly looked at this, and was deadset on the HTC HD2 for a while, but I'm now HTC Desire all the way. Just need to wait for my upgrade. I've not seen bad word written about the Desire, yet quite a few about the SE X10 and the HTC HD2 (the latter being mainly due to it running WinMo)

I've heard tha quite a few times with SE phones. Most people have absolutely no trouble with them and they never break (I fit into this catagory) yet there are a few out there that somehow have such bad luck that they end up having to have half a dozen because they "break". I came to the conclusion that it isn't necessarily the phone that is the problem.

Having said that his seems to be the same software gripe, which I'm guessing means all are afflicted.

I've had the X10 now for two weeks and without a single problem, battery life seems okay too! ... I'm really pleased with it (y)

I've just got one....I think its awesome. Great app store, very stylish, It has a fantastic screen and is very responsive. however..

I am getting my 6th one today becasue,

on all the models I have had, for no warning, it will randomly go on mute when playing media, either oniline on on the phone. It will still have ringtones, but any media will be on silent. I have to then switch off, and on and it will be ok.

My 2nd gripe is the battery life. With hardly any use, I struggle to get a day out of it, and thats with everything (wifi, bluetooth) turned off.

However, another member on here has the X10, and doesn't have any problems at all. Maybe vodafone have a bad batch or something?

I'd get it, but see if you have those problems.

Sounds like Sony Ericsson still can't make hardware that works. Shame, because they are generally very good when they do work, they just break all the time.

HTC Desire is a stunning phone, well worth a look

another X10 owner here...

I personally haven't had any problems at all with the hardware, there are a few things that I would like fixing in the software, such as the led flash has to be turned on and off via settings menu, and there's no flickr on the mediascape, but other than that it really is an excellent phone.

Size wise its literally a couple mm bigger than an iPhone and feels really nice to hold, makes iphones look pretty dated when you see them side by side.

I would recommend it, as it's probably the second best phone on the market at the moment, but the Desire just beats it in my book as Sony Erricsson are apparently hopeless at updating the software, and with new features being added to Android all the time it's going to get left behind.

Quick tip for any Android users, get yourself Juice Defender - it automatically toggles the wi-fi and 3g when on standby and massively improves battery life, mines currently running at 2.2x it's original life thanks to this app. (y)

Had mine a while now, and fortunately no problems with it! It seems it must have been a bad batch or something, as I exchanged this instore. A software related niggle I have found, is that no matter what video is played, be it an officially bought video or a torrent, the audio is about a second or 2 out of sync with the video. They're all like that though, as I tried same video on others. A lot of people won't notice it if they just watch music videos, as 99% of the time, they have poor dubbing as well. The explanation the guy in vodafone said is that the processor is not up to the job, but c'mon its twice the speed of the iPhone! Its definitely an eye catcher though - at a tutorial yesterday, my X10 was getting MUCH more attention than the girl's next to me with iPhone 3Gs. :D

Now that's odd! Are they specially converted for the phone or standard .avi's (not sure if the X10 can play .avi's)?

No, I've not converted them they are just all m4vs I think. Off itunes and downloaded thru the phone of you tube. All got the same problem unfortunately, no matter where I get the videos from.

Had mine a while now, and fortunately no problems with it! It seems it must have been a bad batch or something, as I exchanged this instore. A software related niggle I have found, is that no matter what video is played, be it an officially bought video or a torrent, the audio is about a second or 2 out of sync with the video. They're all like that though, as I tried same video on others. A lot of people won't notice it if they just watch music videos, as 99% of the time, they have poor dubbing as well. The explanation the guy in vodafone said is that the processor is not up to the job, but c'mon its twice the speed of the iPhone! Its definitely an eye catcher though - at a tutorial yesterday, my X10 was getting MUCH more attention than the girl's next to me with iPhone 3Gs. :D

I've just tried mine with You Tube and it is slightly out of synch, but very slightly ... probably about a 10th of a second or so, certainly not anything like 1 or 2 secs :thinking:

Karl, do you use the full paidfor juice defenderor the trial?

Back