SORRY, SORRY SORRY

Name
Nicki.
Edit My Images
Yes
if this question has been asked before - o.k. so I went out this morning and shot some Nuthatches and shot them in RAW, where do I download them please? :bang: have been trying to view them but can't find them :LOL: can I do this in the Canon Dpp programme and if so do I need a new version of the software and if I do where can I download this from.

I know, you can all stop rolling on the floor with laughter :nono: but I need to learn as this is a whole new thing to me shooting in RAW have done it before but normally shoot in J peg also but forgot this morning :bang: :help:

Yes you can do it DPP, they will be CR2 files. Should be an option to import files or something on there, you may need to upgrade it from the Canon website if you havent before

any chance of the link please or what I am looking for :shrug:

if this question has been asked before - o.k. so I went out this morning and shot some Nuthatches and shot them in RAW, where do I download them please? :bang: have been trying to view them but can't find them :LOL: can I do this in the Canon Dpp programme and if so do I need a new version of the software and if I do where can I download this from.

I know, you can all stop rolling on the floor with laughter :nono: but I need to learn as this is a whole new thing to me shooting in RAW have done it before but normally shoot in J peg also but forgot this morning :bang: :help:
Something like Picasa or Faststone image viewer should be able to view RAW files. :)

Thank you ;)
Can't see the 7d listed though

Last edited:
If you upload the DPP version from the discs that came with your 7D, you'll have the right version. Alternatively I think once you have a copy of DPP on your PC, you can update via the Canon website.

Do you have a card reader or do you normally plug your camera directly to the computer to transfer images?

I recommend that you install ZoomBrowser EX and Digital Photo Professional from the CD that came with your camera. From the Canon website, you can then download updates for the latest versions (6.7.2 for ZB and 3.9.3 for DPP).

ZoomBrowser is a high quality viewer for RAW files (and can also do some basic edits) and DPP is the full-blown RAW converter/editor program. These videos will get you started with DPP:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1228

A card reader is the best way to transfer RAW files (files have a .CR2 extension) to your computer. Good luck!

Cheers

Nicki

Use EOS Utility to upload them to your PC you specify the destination folder

Once upload on to your computer use Bridge to view the files and pre-edit in CR before saving as tiff/jpg or moving to your CS4 (y) I always save them as tifs as jpg compresses them

Last edited:
I took some RAW shots a while ago and just loaded them as normal into picasa no problems, If I really want to fiddle I put them into elements 9.

Picasa is a free download, and you can do minor tweeks, I used it mainly before getting a Elements recently.

Nicki

Use EOS Utility to upload them to your PC you specify the destination folder

Once upload on to your computer use Bridge to view the files and pre-edit in CR before saving as tiff/jpg or moving to your CS4 (y) I always save them as tifs as jpg compresses them

Gone to EOS once I have plugged camera in and nothing happens won't let me download the:shrug:

Do you have a card reader or do you normally plug your camera directly to the computer to transfer images?

I recommend that you install ZoomBrowser EX and Digital Photo Professional from the CD that came with your camera. From the Canon website, you can then download updates for the latest versions (6.7.2 for ZB and 3.9.3 for DPP).

ZoomBrowser is a high quality viewer for RAW files (and can also do some basic edits) and DPP is the full-blown RAW converter/editor program. These videos will get you started with DPP:

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=1228

A card reader is the best way to transfer RAW files (files have a .CR2 extension) to your computer. Good luck!

Cheers

Put camera directly into computer, can get them into zoom browser now but when I open Dpp can't find them!

Last edited:
if you have a card reader, put the card in that and then copy the images from it to a folder on your desktop ?

Gone to EOS once I have plugged camera in and nothing happens won't let me download the:shrug:

stupid question but is the camera turned on ?

If it is, have a look in "My Computer" and see if you can see the camera or another drive

If it is, have a look in "My Computer" and see if you can see the camera or another drive

Yep, as I shoot in Jpeg also and they have downloaded beginning to think to just shoot in Jpeg alot easier:shrug:

very strange ! The way you open files in JPG should be no different to RAW so I advise not to give up on RAW.

So you can't even see the RAW files at all ? Not open them or even see the files themselves ?

I don't think Canons show up as a mass storage USB drive. No personal experience with the 7D but the 5D II certainly doesn't.

Cheers

Put camera directly into computer, can get them into zoom browser now but when I open Dpp can't find them!

Did you download the images using ZoomBrowser? This PDF guide should help:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0300004061/01/zb66-w-en.pdf

Pages 7 to 10 explain how to transfer images to a folder on your computer. Once transferred, you can edit them by navigating to that folder using DPP. But seriously, get a card reader which will make all this much easier!

Cheers

amazing...u've posted here on a photography forum almost 3,000 times, had a 450D(a serious D-SLR by amateur photographer's standards), and now a 7D, a very serious piece of kit...and u've never handled RAW files before, or know how to handle them...

:thinking:

how come till now you were never intrigued to use RAW before?

Hmm. I don't subscribe to the raw-law myself, either. I shoot raw and jpg simultaneous. The raw are there if I need them. I'm usually happy with my camera's jpg out put. Doesn't mean I don't know how to use raw, just means that I often can't see the point.

I don't think Canons show up as a mass storage USB drive. No personal experience with the 7D but the 5D II certainly doesn't.

Cheers

Mine do

Nikki try finding your cam from my computer, when open right click 1 of the images,open with then choose default and point to EOS Utility, they should then all be found by it, sometimes when I connect Julies camera to my lappy I have to go through that to get my cam seen again

amazing...u've posted here on a photography forum almost 3,000 times, had a 450D(a serious D-SLR by amateur photographer's standards), and now a 7D, a very serious piece of kit...and u've never handled RAW files before, or know how to handle them...

because I have always been happy with the jpeg output of the camera and just been advised to try and start shooting in RAW so wanted to try it :shrug:

ALSO the 450 was not fast enough for what I wanted the camera for.

I am sure not everyone shoots in RAW?

Last edited:
Mine do

Nikki try finding your cam from my computer, when open right click 1 of the images,open with then choose default and point to EOS Utility, they should then all be found by it, sometimes when I connect Julies camera to my lappy I have to go through that to get my cam seen again

Took sample shots in pure RAW and tried to download these and all it is telling me is the EOS - camera not recognised :shrug:

Only downloads the JPEGS if I shoot in RAW and JPEG

Last edited:
Nikki - if you have loaded the Canon software that came with the 7D you must be able to upload the RAW files.

Canon DPP/EOS Utility will be able to see them and has always straight away when I have used a Windows based PC.

My Apple is a bit more of a faff but I don't connect the camera now and use a reader so it 'sees' the card with it's serial reference.(y)

Last edited:
I know this doesn't help now - but I find a card reader much easier for managing images than downloading off the camera.

Nikki - if you have loaded the Canon software that came with the 7D you must be able to upload the RAW files.

Canon DPP will be able to see them and has always straight away when I have used a Windows based PC.

My Apple is a bit more of a faff but I don't connect the camera now and use a reader so it 'sees' the card with it's serial reference.(y)

Downloaded all the software and still will not read RAW files I have asked for a spare inststallation disc as mislaid mine :shrug: but when I shoot in RAW and JPEG only the JPEG gets downloaded:shrug:

Downloaded all the software and still will not read RAW files I have asked for a spare inststallation disc as mislaid mine :shrug: but when I shoot in RAW and JPEG only the JPEG gets downloaded:shrug:

Very strange indeed:shake:

I remember when shooting in Jpeg and RAW before the two were stacked although can't remember which was on top.........

In any event you should be able to download the latest versions of - if you're using the 7D it's probably camera window, which should open as soon as you connect the camera and switch it on. The Canon site link already mentioned should take you to it.

It is possible, if you are using the software that came with your 450D and did not load the newer version, that it will not see the 7D's RAW images - in which case you need to update. Although they are both Canon software unless you have the version of at least the CD that came with the 7D it may not see/recognise the later model.

If CS4 is your default viewer it will not see the 7D RAW files unless you have the latest 'Camera Raw' update installed

Last edited:
Are you sure you actually shot in RAW?

because I have always been happy with the jpeg output of the camera and just been advised to try and start shooting in RAW so wanted to try it :shrug:

ALSO the 450 was not fast enough for what I wanted the camera for.

I am sure not everyone shoots in RAW?

Actually, and this may sound funny, contrary to popular belief, I think its safer for the newbie, myself included, to shoot in RAW.

I feel much more confident when shooting in RAW these days, as I can usually compensate, sort of, for my mistakes in exposure, lighting etc later on in PP. If I shoot in Jpg, the shots will be much less forgiving to further manipulation in PP.

I think as you go up the skill ladder, one starts to be more confident and experienced with what they do, hence more jpg reliance with RAW reserved for the shots you KNOW will need PP latter.

Very strange indeed:shake:

I remember when shooting in Jpeg and RAW before the two were stacked although can't remember which was on top.........

In any event you should be able to download the latest versions of - if you're using the 7D it's probably camera window, which should open as soon as you connect the camera and switch it on. The Canon site link already mentioned should take you to it.

It is possible, if you are using the software that came with your 450D and did not load the newer version, that it will not see the 7D's RAW images - in which case you need to update. Although they are both Canon software unless you have the version of at least the CD that came with the 7D it may not see/recognise the later model.

If CS4 is your default viewer it will not see the 7D RAW files unless you have the latest 'Camera Raw' update installed

Downloaded it nothing happening also Fernface is here to back me up on this.

Are you sure you actually shot in RAW?
oth JPEG and RAW it only downloads the JPEG files.

Says RAW on ther front of the camera and when I shoot in both JPEG and RAW it just downloads the JPEGS

I dont know what else to suggest apart from this.

Download the Lightroom trail and see if you can import the RAW files into that.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom

If they dont show up on the computer, dont show up in DPP, dont show up in camera window and dont show up in LR, then they probably dont exist for some reason.

There was a post here a while back where someones 450D would only shoot JPG even when RAW was selected. Could be your problem. I'll try find it and see what the solution was.

Downloaded it nothing happening also Fernface is here to back me up on this.

oth JPEG and RAW it only downloads the JPEG files.

Says RAW on ther front of the camera and when I shoot in both JPEG and RAW it just downloads the JPEGS

i have no idea if this helps 40d manual :shrug:

if you select an image captured as raw+jpg it will be counted as one image. During the direct image transfer both raw and jpg will be transfered to your personal computer.

so even if you cannot see the rawfiles via your computer at the down load part when your camera is connected it could be that they have been downloaded, perhaps in a sub folder of where you have chosen to save them
:shrug::shrug:

have to agree with others though a card reader is a breeze

Tried downloading some shots to my desktop and it downloads them no problem, the desktop operating system on the desktop is Vista on the laptop it is XP so it has got to be something to do with the operating system on the Laptop :shrug:

Tried downloading some shots to my desktop and it downloads them no problem, the desktop operating system on the desktop is Vista on the laptop it is XP so it has got to be something to do with the operating system on the Laptop :shrug:

i put this into google, not sure if anything there will help

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=lottery#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&pq=vista%20and%20cr2&xhr=t&q=xp+and+canon+raw+files&cp=22&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=xp+and+canon+raw+files&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=158f5021afbf0802

At least the camera is working ok(y)

Right have decided to uninstall everything of this lap top and then re install what I need hoping that it may jolt the dam thing into working.

Did you have another Canon SLR prior to your 7D? If so did you upgrade DPP when you got your new camera? If you had a different camera and didn't upgrade DPP you might have an old version installed which can't cope with the newer 7D image format.

Also try this - if you can see the RAW files in ZoomBrowser right click on the image and select "Process RAW images by Digital Photo Professional". It should start DPP and import the image.

Did you have another Canon SLR prior to your 7D? If so did you upgrade DPP when you got your new camera? If you had a different camera and didn't upgrade DPP you might have an old version installed which can't cope with the newer 7D image format.

Also try this - if you can see the RAW files in ZoomBrowser right click on the image and select "Process RAW images by Digital Photo Professional". It should start DPP and import the image.

Yep 450 have uploaded all the new stuff to go with the 7d tried that also:shrug:

Back