Sourcing parts for older broken lenses

ako

Name
Andy Ong
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. Just wanted to pick your brains on whether anyone knows good places to find parts for older lenses, or even to buy older broken lenses with the purpose to using it for parts. I find some bits on ebay, but not for the lens i'm looking for.
The lens i'm interested in is a Canon EF 85mm F1.2 USM ii as i've got some scratches on he front element that sometimes shows up in bokeh discs.
I contacted canon and they said their supplier has recently gone into administration and hey are looking for a new partner so couldn't get it from them.

It is not that old... A simpler option is sell your copy with appropriate description on eBay and buy yourself a clean copy (or sigma art 85 should you prefer an upgrade) and just be more careful with it. That's what I would do unless it was pretty rare or very special like a one off

The local service wrote to me that they use scrap lenses for spare parts. In my opinion, it is not worth it if the problem is only in the anti-reflective coating, because it is not known what condition the spare lens is in.

Reactions: ako
IF it's possible to find a part number for that element, it MIGHT be possible to find out if any other lens shares it.

Thanks for all the feedback. The part number i believe is cn2-1321 but i don't find any matches on other lenses for it nor anywhere to source a replacement.

Reactions: Nod
Back