Southampton FC ban press photographers

Sounds like Southampton are manipulating a small agency to try and force the hands of others. You have to love the morals of big business, eh?

I wonder which club will be the first to try to syndicate their own pictures? If it is one of the big teams in the Premiership it would be hard for the majors to avoid using them.

Problem with that is that a lot of the clubs already use one of the big agencies.

Chelsea, Man Utd, Newcastle - All use Getty Images
Spurs - Action Images

Others I'm not so sure about...but I would imagine there's a fair few that already have syndication deals with a major agency. Doesn't stop them from accrediting others though.

I'm a saints fan, and am pretty disgusted by the clubs stance on not accrediting sports togs. I sincerely hope they wise up before the month is out!!

Indeed...i think it'll collapse in hours. Nice try Saints...but it just won't work.

Voyager, Man U already attempt to restrict photographers in where they sit, whether they get accredited etc. However, they still allow it in general.

Probably because they'd get a massive rap on the knuckles if they didnt.

Interestingly enough...I'm in The Sun too. Not sure if it's in the paper though, need to go and buy it *shudder*.

So the idea upsets Murdoch then?

Can't be all bad. :D

How much of a muppet can you be about this....whether it's right or wrong, upsets murdoch or not, is morally abhorrent.

Whatever.

The point is, it is going to deprive people of their income. If the togs in Southampton now have to travel to Reading, then they wont be earning as much.

More competition at other games = less money all round. Not exactly great for photography is it?!

southampton football club don't have any moral obligation to provide photographers with income though.

How much of a muppet can you be about this....whether it's right or wrong, upsets murdoch or not, is morally abhorrent.

Whatever.

The point is, it is going to deprive people of their income. If the togs in Southampton now have to travel to Reading, then they wont be earning as much.

More competition at other games = less money all round. Not exactly great for photography is it?!

southampton football club don't have any moral obligation to provide photographers with income though.

Where in this have I suggested that they do?!

I'm simply stating that the reaction of some people on TP to news that means there will be a reduction in Photography jobs is a little unusual.

It'd be like going on to a Nursing forum and finding people celebrating and rejoicing at the proposed Public Sector spending cuts.

Its not unusal - some people just think that they have the right to do it since its private property. Wither its a good thing for the club is a different matter.

If I want to take a picture of a car for a magazine in a car park I don't have a god given right to do it because its for publication.

I'm simply stating that the reaction of some people on TP to news that means there will be a reduction in Photography jobs is a little unusual.

It'd be like going on to a Nursing forum and finding people celebrating and rejoicing at the proposed Public Sector spending cuts.

:bang::bang::bang:

Thanks all...i'm off to go and buy the papers. Not going to bother with this thread anymore.

It is not 'morally abhorrent'. It might be at best annoying to some photographers and news desk picture editors but clubs clearly think the press does not have a 'right' to photograph and are hoping to control the process.
The point is, it is going to deprive people of their income.
So says Ned Ludd (1779)
If the togs in Southampton now have to travel to Reading, then they wont be earning as much.

As I keep saying - if the clubs see restricting photographic rights has some sort of (presumably financial) benefit to them I fully expect that they will continue trying until they succeed.

Someone will still be takeing pictures (well, they will until getting the quality of stills from an HD video stream is acceptable for print)

Here. "...whether it's right or wrong, upsets murdoch or not, is morally abhorrent."
Who is 'celebrating and rejoicing'?

Couldn't the paper just buy the image rights for the photos from the agency that Southampton are using???? Probably cheaper than sending a tog or artist.

They aren't using an Agency. They tried to get The Digital South to take the contract but they (thankfully) refused.

AFAIK the only images available were taken by the Club Photographers

They aren't using an Agency. They tried to get The Digital South to take the contract but they (thankfully) refused.

AFAIK the only images available were taken by the Club Photographers

Most of the rugby matches I do only have the club photographers there as well as a local press tog. We never really get any interest from national media..

They've employed a new PR man though:

iraqiinformationminister.jpg
He he.... hes now a reporter on a middle east TV channel.... no I'm not joking.

While I'm not in to the footy issue I did see some thing about man uniteds fergy and been forced to talk to the beeb ( tbh I think thats unfair considering all he wants is an appoligy ) so my question is this part of some thing going on in the biggy picture as thats more FA realted rules that have just come in rather than club related like Southhampton ?

T

Last edited:
What's the latest on this?

Southampton are still a laughing stock and a very badly run attempt at a professional organisation, they can't even announce the sacking of a manager correctly :LOL:

As far as i know, nothing has changed and the Nationals appear to be sticking to their position, i certainly haven't seen any coverage from their home games (or a away for that matter)

Back