Southport Airshow

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
Am looking at Stockport Airshow as an easier one to get to for me. Has anyone experience of this show - range of aircraft, access and ease of finding parking on the day. Any opinions would be appreciated. merv:thinking::thinking:

Sorry folks, I said Stokport Airshow in my initial post - needless to say I meant the SOUTHPORT AIRSHOW. merv:razz::bang:

Lots of people, lots of traffic, bad access, poor visability...but then it was always held on my birthday which was annoying...

Haven't been in a few years so it may be better...but was never impressed with Southport.

I was gonna say I lived in Stockport for 25 years never noticed an Air Show..lol

N.

Went a few years ago and though it was good. Not really my cup of tea, just went to see what it was going to be like. Got tons of photos I am more than happy with - http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=southport+airshow&w=45279752@N00&s=int

Traffic - fairly busy, but no where near gridlock or anything
Parking - Plenty and seemingly lots of overflow
Aircraft - Seemed to be a lot of different stuff, went to Sunderland too and that seemed to be a hell of a lot of helicopters, Southport had a good show we loads of aircraft involved and stuff.
Vantage Point - We started right at the back to one side as it was nice and quiet, but then went right down to the front on the beach and to be honest I wouldn't want to be much closer! 200mm was more than enough.

I would recommend it for a good day out if the weather is nice.

Hmmm, the last few years the number of attending aircraft has dwindled a bit, last year IMHO was very disappointing and even though I'm local I probably won't bother again unless there is a major attraction (Vulcan etc). They really, REALLY spun it out this year and you were waiting maybe an hour or more between flights which considering the weather wasn't much fun, static displays were few and far between and the range of stands / stalls was pretty poor as well. I'd hang on and wait for a bit more info on who's flying before committing to travel any kind of distance.

Carl

They really, REALLY spun it out this year and you were waiting maybe an hour or more between flights which considering the weather wasn't much fun
An Hour between flights ?? ... :thinking:

We're booked on the CC site in Southport for that weekend, just fall out the
van and wander across the road. Couldnt get on for the last one but did it
the year before and it was much better than fighting through the traffic.

Traffic - fairly busy, but no where near gridlock or anything
Parking - Plenty and seemingly lots of overflow

Last time I went a normally 30 minute journey from Preston took 3 hours, we only managed a park as I had a small car that I could wedge into a slot no-one else thought was a spot! So we never went again! (We also emigrated the following year but anyhow!) :thinking:

I was gonna say I lived in Stockport for 25 years never noticed an Air Show..lol

What.....what about woodford.......I used to be able to see the planes practicing from my school the friday before the airshow..........and watching a draken practice when doing my paper round many many moons ago.

As for southport I went in 2007 and unless they get a star there won't be going again.......I like to see the planes take off and land and a lot of the displays take place to far out to sea, The Hunter of 2007 flying what must have been over a mile out to sea displaying to the fishes. Coincidently I hear they are trying to get woodford up for one final airshow before they close the aerodrome, well they have a petition for it at least.

I've only been once about four years or so ago. I wasn't too impressed and I've never been back. I'm sure there are much better air shows especially, as you're having to travel from Northern Ireland. If you're going to come over it may as well be for a good one. Duxford might be well worth a visit?

Back