Southwold Dawn

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Nipped over to Southwold this morning to check out the sunrise. Different view from the norm although I did venture to the otherside after I took this and a couple of others.
Had a few shots which I think are OK.
Here's the first I processed.

Nikon D800E
Zeiss Distagon 21mm @ F8, ISO 100
30 second exposure with Lee Little Stopper, Lee 0.9 HE grad plus FH CPL, all stacked.

The Beginning by Neil Almond, on Flickr

The Flow by Neil Almond, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely colours Neil. Is the space to the right a bit dead? Maybe you positioning yourself slightly to the left would have helped balance things up?

Lovely colours Neil. Is the space to the right a bit dead? Maybe you positioning yourself slightly to the left would have helped balance things up?

Hi Stephen,

you may be right about the dead space, may crop a little and in hindsight I should have actually gotten a little lower too but hey ho, we live and learn! Positioning further to the left would straighten up the groyne too much IMHO.

Cheers for the input.

I think the composition is well balanced the way it is presented…
My thoughts were more wondering about the shy sunrise and all
the sharpness in the take.

I'm not sure I'm following you re the sunrise and sharpening???
The sunrise was muted and a normal amount of sharpening applied.

I'm not sure I'm following…

My first reflex was to use the word contemplating as in:
"My thoughts were more contemplating the shy sunrise and all

I was just appreciating the deep DoF as the very first rock to the
last detail of the wires appear sharp and crisp.

One day, I will get better a translating my thoughts… ;-)

My first reflex was to use the word contemplating as in:
"My thoughts were more contemplating the shy sunrise and all

I was just appreciating the deep DoF as the very first rock to the
last detail of the wires appear sharp and crisp.

One day, I will get better a translating my thoughts… ;-)

Ah ok! Yes, i've prefocused my Zeiss given the nigh impossible task of trying to focus in low light light with the Nikon. Seems it has paid off!

Neil that's beautiful, lovely colours and contrast/content. The Zeiss 21mm is a cracking piece of glass for landscapes. I've been looking closely at the Nikkor 20mm f1.8G for my D810, but now tempted with the Zeiss.

Neil that's beautiful, lovely colours and contrast/content. The Zeiss 21mm is a cracking piece of glass for landscapes. I've been looking closely at the Nikkor 20mm f1.8G for my D810, but now tempted with the Zeiss.

I agree Peter.
I've often struggled to get the right focus on the Zeiss as I tend to head out when it's still quite dark and the NIkon is notoriously bad at low light manual focus using the live view. So I spent yesterday experimenting with focus distances in order to gain the best depth of field, since hyper focal distance calculations simply don't work with this camera and lens combo. I think I finally ended up focusing at 6 metres measured and carefully taped up the focus ring so it's now locked down. Quite good actually since I don't have to focus anymore, just find the composition, select the aperture, fit the filters and away you go. At f8 this lens is stupidly sharp and cannot really notice much of a change up to f13, so plenty of front to back DOF sharpness goodness! I even tried f22 for low down shooting and close range objects and it's still sharp enough.
Appreciate the comment on the shot too. I have a few more which I'll add, the clarity and micro contrast is just unreal. I'm starting to finally enjoy shootig with this lens.

Reactions: ST4
Lovely takes Neil! I need to venture in this part of the region. Oh and yes the sharpness and detail is bang on! :D

I agree Peter.
I've often struggled to get the right focus on the Zeiss as I tend to head out when it's still quite dark and the NIkon is notoriously bad at low light manual focus using the live view. So I spent yesterday experimenting with focus distances in order to gain the best depth of field, since hyper focal distance calculations simply don't work with this camera and lens combo. I think I finally ended up focusing at 6 metres measured and carefully taped up the focus ring so it's now locked down. Quite good actually since I don't have to focus anymore, just find the composition, select the aperture, fit the filters and away you go. At f8 this lens is stupidly sharp and cannot really notice much of a change up to f13, so plenty of front to back DOF sharpness goodness! I even tried f22 for low down shooting and close range objects and it's still sharp enough.
Appreciate the comment on the shot too. I have a few more which I'll add, the clarity and micro contrast is just unreal. I'm starting to finally enjoy shootig with this lens.

First I think No1 for me Neil I love that extra little bit of light from the sunrise and it's really crisp and sharp! The detail in the groyne is fantastic. Great pair of shots especially with the weather we have had lately....
Very interested in your comments about focus and hyper focal distance calculations too. I have struggled with focus sometimes and planned to do some tests although I haven't got the Zeiss ....YET! I guess half my problem is my eyesight isn't as fantastic as it was, and can you really see the display on the back of the camera in live view even when magnified up when your in low light? :eek:. I'm just at the point of doing some focus experiments now and I'm going to connect a tablet just so I can actually see a bigger screen to see what's going on. I have always used hyper focal distance for focusing and then checked it in live view So would be really interested in any info you have Neil.

Nice shots Neil I prefer the #2 and congrats on the explore.

Number 1 is very nice, the groyne mirroring the pier is excellent.

I know there is almost nothing you'll be able to do about this, but the cloud just above the horizon on the right does give the shot a feeling that it isn't level as the cloud slopes down slightly. But that's just a little nit-pick.

Cracking picture, like the subdued tones throughout.
Enjoyed your flickr stream too, only good photographs there.

Very nice Neil, I think the composition and your positioning are spot on. I think it balanced nicely as it is.
Peter you have owned this piece of glass already in the PAST have you not?
Lovely takes Neil! I need to venture in this part of the region. Oh and yes the sharpness and detail is bang on! :D
Nice shots Neil I prefer the #2 and congrats on the explore.
Number 1 is very nice, the groyne mirroring the pier is excellent.

I know there is almost nothing you'll be able to do about this, but the cloud just above the horizon on the right does give the shot a feeling that it isn't level as the cloud slopes down slightly. But that's just a little nit-pick.
Very nice work, particularly like the sense of movement on the sea..

I have fond memories of Southwold, cracking little town!!

I always think the east coast is more down to earth than the north!!!!!

Matt

Cheers all.

First I think No1 for me Neil I love that extra little bit of light from the sunrise and it's really crisp and sharp! The detail in the groyne is fantastic. Great pair of shots especially with the weather we have had lately....
Very interested in your comments about focus and hyper focal distance calculations too. I have struggled with focus sometimes and planned to do some tests although I haven't got the Zeiss ....YET! I guess half my problem is my eyesight isn't as fantastic as it was, and can you really see the display on the back of the camera in live view even when magnified up when your in low light? :eek:. I'm just at the point of doing some focus experiments now and I'm going to connect a tablet just so I can actually see a bigger screen to see what's going on. I have always used hyper focal distance for focusing and then checked it in live view So would be really interested in any info you have Neil.

Steve, i'll PM you.

Great piece of glass

Mine wasn't. Fragile and crazily soft in the corners even stopped down.

Ziess fixed it, it was good for a while then went back to being soft 1/8th into the sides of the frame.

Hence I own a 16-35

Neil, great images as usual with strong lead in lines

Two very nice images Neil, I could happily live with either of them, but if I had to choose then #1 would just edge it for me.(y)

George.

Mine wasn't. Fragile and crazily soft in the corners even stopped down.

Ziess fixed it, it was good for a while then went back to being soft 1/8th into the sides of the frame.

Hence I own a 16-35

Neil, great images as usual with strong lead in lines

Cheers Steve - I was actually looking to go back to a 16-35 a couple of weeks back - great lens! Appreciate the comment!

Two very nice images Neil, I could happily live with either of them, but if I had to choose then #1 would just edge it for me.(y)

George.

Thanks George, appreciate the comment!

That's the problem finding a used Zeiss 21mm f2.8, your not gonna be sure if its a sharp copy or not! They seem to sell for around £750 dealer wise, cheaper private sale etc...

I'm presently searching for one.

Back