Space shuttle landing

Wow, thanks for the link, didn't even know you could watch it live online !

another one down safely then :clap:

The feed froze for me just before it landed, all I got was the sound of it landing. Sonic booms made me jump too.

Not very exciting really - Would have been more interesting if they had crashed :D

Sorry mate but that's totally insensitive and out of order :thumbsdown:

Post removed guys, sorry about that :)

It must be very boring for them once they've landed, seemed forever until they were allowed to get out!

I appreciate you were joking mate. Like Susane said, I can still remember watching Challenger expolde in '86 and I've just visited the Kennedy Space Centre and seen the memorial to those who died - very moving tbh :crying:

In 1983 at Stansted, I was fortunate to see a Boeing 747 land with the space shuttle Enterprise on it's back. We'd just parked the car in a field at the side of the airfield (before it became an international airport) as the plane touched down. That was an awesome sight. Sadly no camera or video camera in those days.

I watched it too - but had the sound off, so missed the sonic booms :(

boring for us, but not for them
they have a shed-load of "stuff" (technical term) to do before they can walk away
it's not as if they're all passengers waiting to get off with their duty-free
every one of them is crew with assigned tasks

anyway the duty-free shop on the space station is cr@p!

In 1983 at Stansted, I was fortunate to see a Boeing 747 land with the space shuttle Enterprise on it's back. We'd just parked the car in a field at the side of the airfield (before it became an international airport) as the plane touched down. That was an awesome sight. Sadly no camera or video camera in those days.

Here you go nilagen, one from my brothers archives. :D

Not the best quality though.

beachvisit15kb.jpg

Have to remember its still a touch warm outside when it lands ;) so they darent get them out while you could cook your dinner on the wings !

Good point ;)

Does anyone know if they have live coverage for all these missions? I don't have TV - so it might be fun to watch them on here.

You can watch stuff live from NASA on the link that nilagin posted, they have live broadcasts for all missions on there.

You can watch stuff live from NASA on the link that nilagin posted, they have live broadcasts for all missions on there.

Found it - thanks Susane :)

By the way, did anyone else notice a noise that sounded like shutter clicks from a DSLR when it was on it's way down?

Not wishing to drag this off topic or upset anyone but........

How come nowadays we get all misty eyed about 7 people who die in the effort to explore space but 200 years ago we weren't all that bothered if 400 people went missing on a boat to find out if the earth actually was flat etc. People who die like this should be hailed as heroes, not subjected to a 2 year investigation to find out who pressed the wrong button.

There is always some element of danger in exploration and it will always be that way.

I personaly think it's our fear of death nowadays that's holding back the exploration of our solar system etc.

If NASA wanted to, they could quite happily build a one-way certain-death type mission to mars, but I think it would be halted with an outcry of 'what? send people to almost certain death in the name of exploration? No way!'

This may seem like an immature point of view, and perhaps it is. I just feel people have lost some of the excitement and passion for advancement through expansion.

If NASA wanted to, they could quite happily build a one-way certain-death type mission to mars, but I think it would be halted with an outcry of 'what? send people to almost certain death in the name of exploration? No way!'

This may seem like an immature point of view, and perhaps it is. I just feel people have lost some of the excitement and passion for advancement through expansion.

Won't get past the risk assessment nowadays :shrug:
:D

Other thread details:

I saw the shuttle in the 80's when it came to the UK. That was cool!

The NASA joke after the Challenger crash made me laugh as well. Not sick, just how humans deal with unpleasant outcomes - humour!! :D

How come nowadays we get all misty eyed about 7 people who die in the effort to explore space but 200 years ago we weren't all that bothered if 400 people went missing on a boat to find out if the earth actually was flat etc.

Because this is the 21st Century and we are a bit more civilised and educated nowadays :p

People who die like this should be hailed as heroes

They are mate ;) go and visit the Kennedy Space Centre and see the memorial to them there :crying:

Of course there would be an outcry, and quite rightly so :wacky:

As far as I recall NASA have a landing strip in Spain for any aborted missions that the craft needs to make an emergency landing for - as it would be nigh impossible to land back in Florida. Does any one know it the one in Spain has ever been used or indeed is it still there?

On a side note, I remember watching details about the Challenger crash on Newsround - not sure if John Craven was on that day or not, and then I also saw the 2003 explosion as it happened on telly.. I watched yesterdays shuttle coming home via the BBCNews 24 'red button' screens and then for the actual landing watched it on FOX news. Amazing to see it flying over Australia on minute and then less than 35 minutes it's flying over hurricane Dean and then down into Florida, that's what 15,000mph or so does for you......

Gandhi wrote -

If I was a NASA space person - I'd go on a one way mission, just to see what's out there beyond the moon and the geostationary orbit that Arthur C Clarke predicted all those years back. Onward and upward to the Oort cloud I say................

I went to the space centre last year and tried to coincide my visit with a take off that was sheduled for the shuttle to put a satelight into space but it was struck twice by lightning and cancelled two days before the sheduled date..however I did see the memorial to the lost astronaughts and it was very moving.

As far as I recall NASA have a landing strip in Spain for any aborted missions that the craft needs to make an emergency landing for - as it would be nigh impossible to land back in Florida. Does any one know it the one in Spain has ever been used or indeed is it still there?

There isn't one in Spain. We've got RAF Fairford as the runway is 3km's long which can accomodate the shuttle. I spoke to the fire crew before RIAT this year and they have annual NASA training to deal with getting the crew out etc. They are also on full standby for every launch and landing.

The other worldwide sites are

Lajes (Portugal),
Beja (Portugal),
Keflavík (Iceland),
Shannon International Airport (Ireland),
Köln Bonn Airport (Germany),
Airport Manching near Munich (Germany),
Ankara (Turkey),
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia),
Diego Garcia (British Indian Ocean Territory),
Gander International Airport, Gander, Newfoundland (Canada),
Montreal/Mirabel International Airport, Mirabel (near Montreal), Quebec (Canada),
Royal Australian Air Force Base Amberley, near Brisbane, Australia
White Sands Missile Range, White Sands, New Mexico (United States)
Orlando International Airport, Orlando, Florida (United States)

Cheers,

Adam.

Back