Sparrowhawk in flight

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I popped out to my local barn owl spot, with the intent of seeing the barn owls....alas I ran out of time! However, just as I was putting the window up I noticed something unpigeon-like heading towards me, I grabbed the camera...and it turned out to be a sparrowhawk! It flew right over the car, at about 15ft :D However...I only had 6 inches of window opening to work with :bang: Managed to fire off these 2 shots though...at around 235mm Once again...proof it's not the length...it's the luck ;)

I am looking in particular for editing critique....I'm on my new Macbook so can't compare the screen to my PC at the moment, I just want to know how it looks on other screens!

1)
JU7F9172.jpg

2)
JU7F9173_2.jpg

Good grab shots Phil.........(y)

Imagine how much better they would have been at 400,or more,though.......;)

Nice shots, cant comment on the editing though, having issues with my calibration at the moment.

Good grab shots Phil.........(y)

Imagine how much better they would have been at 400,or more,though.......;)

The irony of it is..I had upto 400mm available! ;)

Looks a bit bright to me now I've decided to put the PC on!

The irony of it is..I had upto 400mm available! ;)
!

Well why didn`t you use it then mate?I mean its not like sparrers are fast,is it?.......:LOL:

Well why didn`t you use it then mate?I mean its not like sparrers are fast,is it?.......:LOL:

You'd be surprised when it is heading straight at you! It was all over in 3 seconds..just zoomed out and hoped for the best! :p

Yeah,that is how it goes at times Phil.

The birds seem very bright on my pc,could be a fault my end though mate.....:shrug:

They're bright on my parents PC too...going to sit here and adjust the Mac until it's right! :) Cheers Ade (y)

Very good grab shots PC... (y) ... would love to know what bird, or part of, it's carrying though... :cautious:

They both looks fine on the Air tonight... :D

:p

Very good grab shots PC... (y) ... would love to know what bird, or part of, it's carrying though... :cautious:

They both looks fine on the Air tonight... :D

:LOL: Clever...I see what you did there ;) Whatever it was, there wasn't anything recognizable left of it, I initially thought it was mud..for nesting perhaps? It looked very brown!

;)

Nah - they don't use mud as far as I know just piles of twigs and stuff... :D

Likely to be blood dried brown on a bit of a carcass or a small lbj... :shrug:

;)

Nah - they don't use mud as far as I know just piles of twigs and stuff... :D

Likely to be blood dried brown on a bit of a carcass or a small lbj... :shrug:

Yes I suspected so, that idea came from the fact there were no recognisable features :LOL: Probably a sparrow or dunnock! Perhaps even a mouse? They're flatly coloured?

Not sure a Sprawk would go for mammals as I believe they are exclusively hunters of fliers... ;) ... they don't even take dead birds... :cautious:

I thought it had a carcass in its talons, but didn`t want to say in case it upset the people who live in "Bambi" world...............:LOL:

Well taken fleeting opportuunity Phil. (y)

They look like they might stand a sharpen but the files are very small at 63 and 57 kb.If you could post them a bit larger and less compressed they'd take the sharpening better. It all depends how big they are in the frame initially of course.

I thought it had a carcass in its talons, but didn`t want to say in case it upset the people who live in "Bambi" world...............:LOL:

Oh noes! Perhaps I'd better take them down ;):LOL:

Well taken fleeting opportuunity Phil. (y)

They look like they might stand a sharpen but the files are very small at 63 and 57 kb.If you could post them a bit larger and less compressed they'd take the sharpening better. It all depends how big they are in the frame initially of course.

Just whipped them through Lightroom so I will have another edit tomorrow! Thanks very much :)

Great grab shots (y)
as you said something un-pigeon like, I would guess that its a female
Males are a lot smaller
and that is definitely a meal its carrying

Not sure a Sprawk would go for mammals as I believe they are exclusively hunters of fliers... ;) ... they don't even take dead birds... :cautious:

Ven, they do take birds in flight thats their "speciality" but if times are tough
lots of mouths to feed ( a bit early) or lack of food they will hunt small rodents
like a Kestrel, hovering and dropping on them.
It takes a hell of a lot of energy to do that though and its not often done

Never known them to take carrion in the wild, but they take dead stuff in captivity
so I guess that they might if really pushed but, having said that I have never seen it or know
anyone that has

Well captured in hard circumstances Phil (y)

They look ok to me, I'll leave the processing aspect to the experts though :)

I'll be interested to see what you do with them .

Back