Special Toyota Supra videoshoot!

Name
Lauren
Edit My Images
No
Quite like doing videos so gave a shot doing our first videoshoot using my Swift Sport.. it came out okay, for a first attempt!

Anyway, enjoyed doing it so got in touch with a friend who owns a very, very, verrry nice Toyota Supra and he was kind enough to let us shoot his car.

Both me and my boyfriend shot the footage, and I put the video together using Windows Movie Maker - so nothing special! It took hours to do but we were really happy with the final result! Especially for only my second attempt at using video editing software.

Here's a link to the video, check it out and let me know what you think!

https://vimeo.com/45035118

Fast Car managed to see it via Facebook and actually posted it up on their Facebook as well as putting it up on their website! We were very happy about that!

I have now recently purchased a MacBook Pro and it came with iMovie so I hope to try that out soon and see how it goes - I presume iMovie is better to use than Windows Movie Maker?!

Would be nice to be able to add more effects to the videos etc etc

All comments welcome! Many thanks, Lauren

Hi Lauren.

I have a list of critque if you want to hear it?

As it is, not bad, but could be massively improved either with PP or probably a re-shoot to get additional shots...

What's it being used for, just pleasure?

Critique is more than welcome, I hope to get better and better so all advice / comments are more than welcome!

It is only my second attempt - so hope in time, with advice from you guys, I'll get better!

We are in talks about doing a second vid of that Supra, but with some action shots as well as just showing the car (maybe a little bit of drifting etc you know) ..so that should be good.

We currently use a pretty rubbish tripod as well which is really made for just still pics, but was just may do-ing with what we had you see! Would love to buy a tripod of some sort which glides a bit more to have smoother moving (if that makes sense!) so any you can recommend that aren't crazily priced?

Also how can you go about editing the actual video itself (PP as you say)

Thanks in advance! Lauren

Oops, forgot to answer a bit! : Yeah it was just made for fun really, it's just something I enjoy doing. Maybe one day I can take it further though!

I like it, but for me it's too static.

I don't know anything about filming cars but from a target audience perspective i need more natural sounds and some action. You know, engine sounds, rubber skidding, engine starting, the exhaust fuming, rev counter jumping around, the gear changes... The things we love when we step into our cars.

I like it, but for me it's too static.

I don't know anything about filming cars but from a target audience perspective i need more natural sounds and some action. You know, engine sounds, rubber skidding, engine starting, the exhaust fuming, rev counter jumping around, the gear changes... The things we love when we step into our cars.
Totally agree to be honest so definitely see where your coming from! The guys who car it is was having some trouble with his second turbo which is why we based it on a static kind of thing to be honest.

As above though hoping to shoot this car again (it's all fixed now too) so will take all these comments on board :)

Hi Lauren.

Firstly well done since you were quite upfront on your experience with video production.

There are some stuff that would make it really shine and I have listed them below :)

Firstly- your opening shot.

Is that the best "wow" shots you can come up with? I'd be thinking more gliding headlights, pull focus badge, headlights turning on, exhaust firing up etc. You want to show your viewer your best shots first, that will draw the attention into the video and build the suspense...I'm not sure that's achieved with some turbo gages ;)

There are a lot of stills.

Try to avoid using stills as much as possible and if you do, fake a video element to make it more dynamic. You can zoom, glide, pull focus etc all in PP. Best thing is to just use stills in worst case scenario (if you can't shoot more video) and then try to fake it as motion as much as possible. Too many stills will i only harm the production value.

You have an amazing far there, but the location severely let's it down.

I'm sure it would have had a lot more impact filmed in darkness and if you had some continuous lighting, even better, otherwise just using available light from streetlamps etc.

As mentioned above, for a car like this, capture the sound it makes :)

Try to make the car seem like how it is in real life (it wouldn't reverse and then go forward to the beat so best avoided in your video), instead rough cut from shot to shot.

Have a think about the details and the fact that video has all the same elements of photography, its just using motion instead. There is a shot of "supra" on the wheel but you have you turn your head 90 degrees...get that wheel turned :)

That's all pretty general, I could go through shot after shot but to be honest I would be repeating myself a lot.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice Phil! Really, really appreciated!

I will keep this all in mind and now can't wait to get out there and try another shoot!

I am using a Canon 500D to shoot the footage - is this a good / reasonable camera to use for videos? I know it is ideally for photography/still pictures but it's all I have.

Likewise - can you recommend a cheap rig / tripod I could purchase for good smooth film footage? The tripod I use is very difficult to use for video and it's very hard to keep it smooth without jolter if you know what I mean.

Also, how do you go about PP'ing video footage? And what exactly do you mean by this?

Then one more question! How do you go about putting your videos together and adding finishing touches? What programme do you use? Is iMovie good enough?

Thanks in advance! Lauren

Lauren,

I am very new to the video side of things, so am not best placed to offer any sort of critique. What I would say though, is that I really like this video! Well done!!

Looking forward to seeing more.

I am using a Canon 500D to shoot the footage - is this a good / reasonable camera to use for videos? I know it is ideally for photography/still pictures but it's all I have.

It can capture video right? That's good enough :) There's no reason you can't get a high quality looking image from your current camera. Does it have manual controls? If so even better.

Likewise - can you recommend a cheap rig / tripod I could purchase for good smooth film footage? The tripod I use is very difficult to use for video and it's very hard to keep it smooth without jolter if you know what I mean.

If I'm honest, there are better people for advice on this - I'm very "minimalist" with my gear.

Also, how do you go about PP'ing video footage? And what exactly do you mean by this? Well you start by logging all your shots, that makes it easier when choosing your footage to edit. If it's a video to music, select your main bits to go in at the main parts of the music and work around that. When it is all cut, go over and over and over and over putting things like transitions if needed & effects until you are "happy" - you will never feel like it's done though, editing video can just go round and round and round :) Lastly, you need to colour grade your shots. This is done by selecting a look and applying that to all the shots. I prefer to keep as few colour grades as possible so it's not too confusing just like images, you can just play about with it and see what works.

Then one more question! How do you go about putting your videos together and adding finishing touches? What programme do you use? Is iMovie good enough?
I use Adobe premier pro CS6. I am not familiar with imovie but I would imagine it to be a lot more limiting.

Hope that all helps :)

Back