Speed awareness course by zoom (update)

Been that way since the beginning of covid. Personally I think its better than tramping to some place miles away to sit with a bunch of strangers for 2 hrs. Ive done 2 and did learn at little at both.

Did mine by Teams. Better than having to set aside extra hours of travel but perhaps that is part of the punishment.

Last edited:
This ends now!
So doing 70 on a three lane dual carriageway (2 lanes on my side and one on the other) is dangerous is it?

You've never gone over the speed limit?

Self righteous Prick!

what was the speed limit...................... prick?

60 and I wasn't going to kill anyone on my motorbike as there was no one else around but you clearly are special and never speed.

So answer the question: have you never gone over the speed limit?

60 and I wasn't going to kill anyone on my motorbike as there was no one else around but you clearly are special and never speed.

So you were over the speed limit.

Whether it is dangerous or not is not relevant.

actually i don't i am capt slow but your calling me a prick because i called you out just shows what a prick you are?

Back on thread: it was interesting to me to hear that they are doing this. I haven't had to do one for a fair few years now thankfully, despite occasionally pushing my luck. I'd have to say I actually found it interesting doing the course with other people in the room though, hearing the circumstances of them being caught - some of which were salutary lessons themselves.

My local Civil Service Club was hosting these which was a valuable contract but now without the regular live session, I suspect the club will go broke financially. I confess that I was caught speeding by a hidden camera. I felt aggrieved at the time because I had been following and old lady for some time who reached a maximum speed of 20mph and was wandering all over the place and did not appear to be in full control of the car. I waited until there was a wide stretch of road with wide verges and could see no pedestrians, cyclist , or cars in front or behind so overtook swiftly and pulled in and dropped back to 30mph (the limit). Yes technically I did exceed 30 for a few seconds when passing. If there had been a policeman present rather than a camera, I think the old lady would have been stopped not me. I don't expect any sympathy and my wife suggests that there were times in the past that I had sped when not caught so deserved a fine. For many years now, I have used my cruise control to keep me at within the speed limits.

Dave

I think it's quite funny that they are doing it by ZOOM !

Many years ago, when the speed awareness thing was not an option, I'd accumulated 9 points,
over a year or so, that certainly sharpened up my awareness :D

Years ago I admit I used to speed but in my defence not in built up areas and only on the twisties over the moors or on empty A roads and I did get points on my licence but never too many and I never got a ban. These days I've completely flipped and I now never speed and in fact I think I'm mentally incapable of it now.

Good luck with the course Neil, I hope it proves useful for you.

Used to get pulled occasionally but back then it was often dealt with by a friendly chat or a 7 day wonder/producer to check that the bike (and rider!) was taxed, insured etc.. Speed cameras are less friendly than traffic plod!
These days, I'm a bit slower and pick the time and place more carefully.

I did one but well over ten years ago, ie pre-zoom.

It was most of one day, part theoretical, part practical part. I found it very informative and made me think a lot more just about being more attentive and aware of potential hazards.

Dave

I think

Good luck with the course Neil, I hope it proves useful for you.
I've always said I don't drive over the limit. At my age I just love cruising along in a large comfortable car. I was caught on a smart motorway near Bradford doing 59 in what I thought was a 60 zone but it was a 50 zone. I am guilty as charged. My license is clean and the only reason I am doing the course is that I need my license to hire cars on my holiday in two weeks time. The hire companies will not accept photo copies, if I accepted the fine and points I would have to send my license off within 28 days and the return of the license could be up to six weeks at the moment.

I've always said I don't drive over the limit. At my age I just love cruising along in a large comfortable car. I was caught on a smart motorway near Bradford doing 59 in what I thought was a 60 zone but it was a 50 zone. I am guilty as charged. My license is clean and the only reason I am doing the course is that I need my license to hire cars on my holiday in two weeks time. The hire companies will not accept photo copies, if I accepted the fine and points I would have to send my license off within 28 days and the return of the license could be up to six weeks at the moment.

A similar thing happened to me once on a stretch of road with multiple speed limit changes but in my case I was stopped by a cop car. I'd just pulled out of a petrol station and had accelerated up to about 50mph as I thought I was in a 60mph limit and must have been speeding for all of about 400m and the national speed limit sign was visible when they played back my offence for me to see in the cop car. I was really tempted to say "WTF? Haven't you got better things to do?" but I had after all been speeding.

Used to get pulled occasionally but back then it was often dealt with by a friendly chat or a 7 day wonder/producer to check that the bike (and rider!) was taxed, insured etc.. Speed cameras are less friendly than traffic plod!
These days, I'm a bit slower and pick the time and place more carefully.

It's all about time, place, and appropriate speed. I stopped a few years ago on the M40 by a copper who actually said to me "I can see you're safe, and you weren't going silly speeds, but my Sergeant is in the car so I had to pull you over." He let me off and I was on my way. Like you say, speed cameras are just black or white, you get a ticket even if there's no other cars on the motorway.

It's all about time, place, and appropriate speed. I stopped a few years ago on the M40 by a copper who actually said to me "I can see you're safe, and you weren't going silly speeds, but my Sergeant is in the car so I had to pull you over." He let me off and I was on my way. Like you say, speed cameras are just black or white, you get a ticket even if there's no other cars on the motorway.
Low tax, austerity spend and full accountability for law enforcement officers seems to be what the country wants, which means far fewer police available to dawdle about keeping an eye on driving law-breakers.

Low tax, austerity spend and full accountability for law enforcement officers seems to be what the country wants, which means far fewer police available to dawdle about keeping an eye on driving law-breakers.

Totally agree, but with less interaction with the police, people seem to fear them more, when most of them are decent people doing a job.

Is there scope to do a speed awareness course even if you haven't been caught? I admit I do see the speed limit as a target rather than a limit..

I suggest folk check out the Ashley Neal videos on t'tube, very educational and thought provoking. Doesn't specifically tackle speed but a whole lot of other safety related issues, and road user behaviour.

Doesn't specifically tackle speed but a whole lot of other safety related issues, and road user behaviour.
After a short while of riding motorcycles you very soon get to understand "what's happening next" especially in traffic. Seeing a head make a definite move to a mirror, or the stationary wheels start to point in a different direction tell you that somebody is contemplating a "move". On the elevated section of the M4 I used to take a lot of notice of how people were driving before filtering between them. I refused to use the A40, it was just so bloody dangerous first thing in the morning.

Speed awareness courses are not available in Scotland for a minor speeding offence, so its £100 & 3 points. Theres also the fact that plod Scotland will not admit that there is a threshold allowance whereas most of the remainder of the uk is +10%. Most cars don't come with NAMAS calibrated and certified odometers so you are in a bit of a no-mans land when going by the cars odometer.

I noticed that my car showed 6mph faster than the GPS speed; my last motorbike was 4mph faster and my new bike is dead on.

Chevin, damn shame they don't have them in Scotland yet. They are a good way to raise money for the police force as they get half the income and the other half goes to the company that manages the course provision. The Govt gets the money from a fine.

Is there scope to do a speed awareness course even if you haven't been caught? I admit I do see the speed limit as a target rather than a limit..

I suggest folk check out the Ashley Neal videos on t'tube, very educational and thought provoking. Doesn't specifically tackle speed but a whole lot of other safety related issues, and road user behaviour.

I don't know if there is scope, but there should be; some valuable information and food for thought in the one I attended, which could be useful to all.

Dave

Not sure if there's a similar scheme for car drivers but for motorcyclists, there are BikeSafe courses across the country. Well worth doing.

After a short while of riding motorcycles you very soon get to understand "what's happening next" especially in traffic. Seeing a head make a definite move to a mirror, or the stationary wheels start to point in a different direction tell you that somebody is contemplating a "move". On the elevated section of the M4 I used to take a lot of notice of how people were driving before filtering between them. I refused to use the A40, it was just so bloody dangerous first thing in the morning.
I think that is true for any vulnerable road user - walking ,motorcycling, cycling, horse riding - I heard someone say once that they assumed that motor vehicle drivers were trying to kill them, and so were suitably wary of them. It's quite good, if sobering advice.

The signs you mention are good, also being aware of general behaviour - it is often easy to tell if a driver is paying attention properly.

I think that is true for any vulnerable road user - walking ,motorcycling, cycling, horse riding - I heard someone say once that they assumed that motor vehicle drivers were trying to kill them, and so were suitably wary of them. It's quite good, if sobering advice.

The signs you mention are good, also being aware of general behaviour - it is often easy to tell if a driver is paying attention properly.
Yup, that's how to ride for sure (can't say I've ridden a horse but I expect it's no different).

I find it makes me more aware in the car too as I tend to apply the same attitude so anticipate situations a little further in advance than I might otherwise.

Why would you have a problem though?

I guess @Brendan Mulachy was suggesting they can be difficult to deal with, but we have been pulled over whilst in a group of cars, it was just a "document check" which they are entitled to do.

Now, the Police in France can be real b*******, but others have a chat about your bike/car while you're having a coffee. Just don't speed through villages, that really winds them up. It's all about where & when.

My brother-in-law and his wife came over to visit from Canada and we took them around the Cotwolds. Most of the roads are subject to a 60mph limit,sometimes 50. We drove on mile after mile and no indication re what the speed limit was unless it changed from 60mph. I know it's 60mph unlesss otherwise stated but he asked, how do drivers know what the speed limit is ? I agreed with him. How do foreign drivers know what our system is ? Hopefully, they'd check before hiring a car or if having driven over from mainland Europe. I agree with my bil that the speed limit should be painted on the road every few miles,maybe..or road signs or a mix of both. It's not a problem for us now as our car shows the speed limit when in SatNav mode.

Back