speed light advice

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
ok recently i have had 3 friends (1 wedding photographer, 1 high end nature enthusiast photographer, 1 portrait photographer )
all comment to me on FB after seeing family pics etc. i have done all have said i need a speed light ( i am assuming they are right as 3 said it of their own accord at separate times)
between the 3 they have recommended nikon 910 1 said genuine other 2 said the following links
please can someone give some advice are these any good ? i can't afford the genuine
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Meike-...287668?hash=item33cb4f0d34:g:9iIAAOSwA3dYCXMK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neewer-MW...492784?hash=item58cfdd0df0:g:jsEAAOSwAYtWJ3rR

Could you stretch to a used SB900? I bought 3 of my SB900's this way:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Spe...469193?hash=item282fca26c9:g:ByQAAOSw2gxY3AYq

£185

I've not used any of those ones you linked to (and the Meike one seems to have had a lot of effort put into making it look like a Nikon SB900 which is just not required for a 3rd party flash - it makes me wonder about the goals of the project that produced it - ie were they trying to make a good light, or just one that looked like the Nikon product).

I've got some Yongnuo flashes (460-II's and a YN565) and they work well. They're not as well built as the Nikon ones, but they have survived 5 years or so of occasional use. These days though, take a look at the Godox family of lights. If I was choosing 3rd party lights now I think go for these.- it's a well thought out system of lights from small to large.

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/

£185 would be almost double my budget :(
my budget is about £100 but also trying to take into account i will need some decent batteries

Most of this might go over your head just now, but I promise it'll be worth it in the long run.

Presuming you've got use for a speedlight, not only is the Nikon not great value for money, it's not even the best option.

If there's a future path into off camera flash, the best option is a flash with an integral radio receiver, there's a few options from Yongnuo etc. But if there's a chance that you might then want to get into other more serious studio work, then Godox is definitely the system to buy into.

Something with a built in 2.4 ghz receiver, maybe the TT685, at around £100 it's an utter bargain, does everything the sb910 does plus much more.

Most of this might go over your head just now, but I promise it'll be worth it in the long run.

Presuming you've got use for a speedlight, not only is the Nikon not great value for money, it's not even the best option.

If there's a future path into off camera flash, the best option is a flash with an integral radio receiver, there's a few options from Yongnuo etc. But if there's a chance that you might then want to get into other more serious studio work, then Godox is definitely the system to buy into.

Something with a built in 2.4 ghz receiver, maybe the TT685, at around £100 it's an utter bargain, does everything the sb910 does plus much more.

i don't think i will get into any serious studio work
mainly my photography is either birds and nature or family pictures ie days out with the grand kids etc. at the zoo or amusement park
i do plan to/have been asked to do some family portraits individual and group
i am not adverse to extending my kit in future but will only ever be home/hobby

i don't think i will get into any serious studio work
mainly my photography is either birds and nature or family pictures ie days out with the grand kids etc. at the zoo or amusement park
i do plan to/have been asked to do some family portraits individual and group
i am not adverse to extending my kit in future but will only ever be home/hobby
All I will say is that on camera flash is tricky to get right, off camera flash gives better results without a lot of fuss (with a little extra investment) when you decide the time is right.

But IMHO it's better to buy a flash today, that makes that step easier and cheaper. Buy the wrong flash now, and getting it off camera can be impossible, difficult or just expensive. Buy the right one, and it's easy and cheap.

I use a couple of neewer vk750-ii flashes, cheap as chips at around £40 each on eBay and I can't fault them. Also use a yonguno yn622n wireless controller to control both off camera with full ttl support. You can also use the flash on your camera to tigger them in manual mode. Good starter flash and if you don't use it then you haven't spent much

All I will say is that on camera flash is tricky to get right, off camera flash gives better results without a lot of fuss (with a little extra investment) when you decide the time is right.

But IMHO it's better to buy a flash today, that makes that step easier and cheaper. Buy the wrong flash now, and getting it off camera can be impossible, difficult or just expensive. Buy the right one, and it's easy and cheap.

ok so if i could stretch my budget further would i be better getting something like this ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Godox-...033447?hash=item3acbe740e7:g:GiAAAOSwOdpXz4jq

ok so if i could stretch my budget further would i be better getting something like this ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Godox-...033447?hash=item3acbe740e7:g:GiAAAOSwOdpXz4jq

That's a great kit, if you've got a use for it.

In your shoes, I'd start with a first speedlight, and wait till you're ready to go off camera, then you'll need the x1n trigger, a stand and a bracket/brolly or softbox.

You might end up with a couple of other speedlights at some point, but you should buy on requirement rather than going for a 'bargain' you might never have a use for.

The TT685 and X1 trigger are great for starting up. It gives you both on and of camera options and is way easier to control than two or three lights. Eventually you might even find you need units with more power and/or faster recycle time etc.
I don't think there's any idea in using the flash on camera unless you really have to......... and pointing it on subject from camera, ouch. Well it can be done and you can get good results but mostly you won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yongnuo 560 iii or iv. Great manual flash for £50. Being manual you get to learn how to use it too.
Build quality is good too. (I use mine all the time)

They do a 560 TX transmitter too which lets you control multiple 560's including power etc (or other flashes connected to triggers) for £30.

Its a great system for someone who wants to learn flash photography, not spend a fortune, and even if you got a more advanced flash in the future they can still be used along side.

Last edited:
I have to agree with both Soeren and Phil. I've only just started with flash and their suggestion is definitely the way to go. I went the Godox way but I know Yongnuo is equally as good and both are a fraction of the price of the main brands. I got my kit from Amazon.

I have also only heard positive comments on yongnou though I find godox is preferable due to the extensive lineup. You can get anything from the humble spelight over the speedlight on steroids to high-powered studio strobes. You may not want more than a single speedlight right now but who knows the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, I'm a beginner at flash too. After listening to these guys I bought the Godox TT685 and am having great fun (and some frustration) learning something about it. Haven't got the radio transmitter yet though it will come as I discover the limits of optical OFC from the Canon pop-up. The 52s Smoke photos were a great learning experience. I also bought the Speedliter's Handbook by Syl Arena which makes sense of the whole flash thing. It is complicated but taken in stages it can be learned. Not sure if I'll ever need studio stuff but the Godox rnge is all there to explore and it's all compatible with this single first buy. Listen to them; they know what they're talking about!:) and a big :ty: to Phil V for his generous time and advice

Back