Speed limiters to be fitted on all new cars by 2022

Do you think we could ever get to the stage where all cars have GPS and automatically report speeders? Most new cars have SatNav so you'd think it would be doable...

Do you think we could ever get to the stage where all cars have GPS and automatically report speeders? Most new cars have SatNav so you'd think it would be doable...

I think that would be entirely possible, what the system above does is simply keep reminding the driver they are speeding and if they do not reduce speed the car reduces power to the engine until the driver reaches the speed limit, it also allows emergency power by putting your foot hard on the accelerator, it does note also the system can be turned off but it turns itself back on when you restart the car. Some car makers are also saying the system will turn itself back on after a period of time say 10 minutes.

The fact that it can be switched off makes it as much point as a chocolate teapot. Better enforcement rather than reliance on technology is what's needed.

Being a former artic driver I am quite used to speed limiters.

My guess is that it's because the system isn't reliable enough to stand up in court. But I remember seeing a documentary on exactly this a while back :)

Not a good idea IMO used to work for a company that had limiters fitted to company vehicles (yes I understand rules 124/5) it made it a nightmare to overtake.

My main concern about this plan is the accuracy (or otherwise) of the data used by the vehicle systems. I have come across many instances where GPS based navigation systems or more recently in-car speed limit sign recognition have got the limits wrong. Near where I live there's a slip road onto a motorway which gets reported as a 30mph limit and an urban street that approaches a roundabout which reports 30mph then 20mph past a school correctly, but then fails to detect the end of the 20mph limit and suddenly decides the roundabout is 60mph.

The fact that it can be switched off makes it as much point as a chocolate teapot. Better enforcement rather than reliance on technology is what's needed.

not really it simply puts the driver in the position that they make a positive decision to disable the control each time they use the car, also it will of course be logged by the cars computer.

My main concern about this plan is the accuracy (or otherwise) of the data used by the vehicle systems. I have come across many instances where GPS based navigation systems or more recently in-car speed limit sign recognition have got the limits wrong. Near where I live there's a slip road onto a motorway which gets reported as a 30mph limit and an urban street that approaches a roundabout which reports 30mph then 20mph past a school correctly, but then fails to detect the end of the 20mph limit and suddenly decides the roundabout is 60mph.

I agree but if you read the article is has fuzzy logic in it, it will not for instance ever activate the brakes, simply only reduce engine power slowing the car gently.

I agree but if you read the article is has fuzzy logic in it, it will not for instance ever activate the brakes, simply only reduce engine power slowing the car gently.
I have read the article thank you. In the example I gave, killing the power while I am attempting to accelerate up to match the speed of other traffic while joining a motorway isn't helpful. I know I can use 'kickdown' in that situation but that's not the point; the data used by the system must be accurate and up to date. In the example I gave it took the car several miles of motorway driving afterwards to realise the limit is 70mph, not 30 mph.

I have read the article thank you. In the example I gave, killing the power while I am attempting to accelerate up to match the speed of other traffic while joining a motorway isn't helpful. I know I can use 'kickdown' in that situation but that's not the point; the data used by the system must be accurate and up to date. In the example I gave it took the car several miles of motorway driving afterwards to realise the limit is 70mph, not 30 mph.

true but look at the other side of the coin, if that area of the map had a speed fault, lets call it that then all cars will be affected so all the cars would slow down which is the safest default setting?

yes thats right new and your point?
i know the speed anarchists will hate this new legislation because overnight speed will plummet as you will only need one NEW car toeing the line for the entire road to toe the line, its a great idea and will save a lot of lives.

true but look at the other side of the coin, if that area of the map had a speed fault, lets call it that then all cars will be affected so all the cars would slow down which is the safest default setting?
That doesn't follow; Satnav in cars uses map data provided by different suppliers & not every car owner keeps their map data current. In my case, it was a brand new £50k BMW X3 which had the latest map data and speed sign recognition software provided by BMW. An Audi, Peugeot, Skoda or Nissan might not have seen the same issue if it was map data related; if it was a badly placed road sign (or lack of) then maybe all cars would see the same effect.

There is a slight left hand bend in the main road, near where I live and most sat navs direct you to turn left. Unfortunately, the left turn is down a small side road with limited turning space. Fun to watch the "grockles" struggling in the summertime but a PITA for everyone.

Be rubbish mine already has an automatic limiter though it's only a warning if you go above. But it's wrong a lot of the time.

The fact you can turn it off is just pointless, most will just press the button, a lot will program it off completely.
People still remove DPF filters, they'll still speed with this system.

Reactions: Nod
Be rubbish mine already has an automatic limiter though it's only a warning if you go above. But it's wrong a lot of the time.

The fact you can turn it off is just pointless, most will just press the button, a lot will program it off completely.
People still remove DPF filters, they'll still speed with this system.

maybe a lot will but my point is quite a few will follow it (me for one) now and as just said you only need a few people to bring all roads down to the correct speeds so it will essentially win.

maybe a lot will but my point is quite a few will follow it (me for one) now and as just said you only need a few people to bring all roads down to the correct speeds so it will essentially win.
Do you stick to limits now? Why will a simple limiter make a difference?

I’ll believe the bit about insurance companies reducing premiums when it happens.
I agree but maybe they will insist on seeing the data after an accident to see if someone was speeding and, if they were, limiting their cover to third party!

I’ll believe the bit about insurance companies reducing premiums when it happens.

Yes, that mob are more likely to put all premiums up then charge a bit less for cars with limiters so that it "appears" to be a discount.

Do you stick to limits now? Why will a simple limiter make a difference?

because it is the right thing to do, we have a big problem in society with anti social speeding.

Most of the speeders I see around me at the moment are the delivery vans from all the online shopping, most of the streets around us are 20 zones and they can’t do that even in our short cul de sac.

That doesn't follow; Satnav in cars uses map data provided by different suppliers & not every car owner keeps their map data current. In my case, it was a brand new £50k BMW X3 which had the latest map data and speed sign recognition software provided by BMW. An Audi, Peugeot, Skoda or Nissan might not have seen the same issue if it was map data related; if it was a badly placed road sign (or lack of) then maybe all cars would see the same effect.

One of the proposed systems will rely on reading road signs. That's fine IF all speed limit signs are visible and any that don't apply don't get read. There are a fair few down here where the main road is a 40 limit but side roads that peel off straight ahead while the main road bends one way or the other and the side road is a national speed limit. Lob in people who think the local limit should be lower and "adjust" the signs (as well as those who add a 1 before the 30/40/50) too.

FTR, I use the cruise control in my car in reverse - as a limiter and its ultimate top speed is also limited (not turnable off.)

One of the proposed systems will rely on reading road signs. That's fine IF all speed limit signs are visible and any that don't apply don't get read. There are a fair few down here where the main road is a 40 limit but side roads that peel off straight ahead while the main road bends one way or the other and the side road is a national speed limit. Lob in people who think the local limit should be lower and "adjust" the signs (as well as those who add a 1 before the 30/40/50) too.

FTR, I use the cruise control in my car in reverse - as a limiter and its ultimate top speed is also limited (not turnable off.)
Mine uses cameras and GPS map data. I think they have to agree or it shows the lower speed limit so faking signs wouldn't work as it would just use the GPS data. But if you go through road works and the camera speed is lower it will use that.

The safest roads in the country are strangely enough the fastest - motorways.
Accidents happen irrespective of speed.
Who are you trying to save by limiting speed?
If its the car occupants then enforce harness's & helmets to be worn. - after all they also save lives...

absolute rubbish.
I can see someone going to overtake and the car slows down on them and they hit another car. All it takes is for someone not to know how to override by flooring the pedal.

The safest roads in the country are strangely enough the fastest - motorways.
Accidents happen irrespective of speed.
Who are you trying to save by limiting speed?
If its the car occupants then enforce harness's & helmets to be worn. - after all they also save lives...

motorways are not safer because they are faster, they are safer as they have a constant speed, better sight lines, no oncoming traffic, they have better road markings

That will be the time I hang up my keys..... Even in the IAM they tell you to go over the speed limit to make an overtake if it is safe to do so, then pull in and reduce your speed.

All you need is somebody doing 30 in a 50 where you have few opportunities to overtake and you'll get a huge line of traffic. An example is the A350, Shaftesbury to Blandford. It's hilly, and twisty, most of it is either 40 or 50 limits, except through the villages, and I have often been sat behind that Honda Jazz doing no more than 35mph anywhere. Where it is safe to overtake, I can accelerate to 70, get past, and come back down to the limit. In fact I've done this before and 2 or 3 cars have followed, so it's not just me that finds these people frustrating...

I did think its interesting the Volvo are going to limit theirs to 112mph..... - Was fairly sure that's still above the uk speed limit...

Reactions: Nod
Back