Beginner Speedlight triggers - some that ALWAYS work please?

Name
Amanda
Edit My Images
Yes
I’ve been using Yongnuo triggers with Nikon brand and off-brand speedlights but I’ve had issues with intermittent failure - ie, will work then just not for now apparent reason. So, need to move to a more reliable brand. Needs to support Nikon and TTL, and not be extortionate!
Any recommendations?

Just because I’ve not posted a pic for a while, this was my first go at using more than one off camera flash:

Marcus by amanda benson, on Flickr

I’ve never had frequent misfires with Yongnuo, and have never seen them described as particularly unreliable.

So I’m guessing whatever is causing the failure will likely still happen with another brand.

Check:
Contacts, clean and straight
Is the transmitter straight and secure (over tightening can twist them)
Are all receiver connections clean and straight
What distance? Too close or too far away can be an issue
Batteries need to be optimum, some people can’t use rechargeable in triggers due to lower voltage (never been an issue for me)
Interference from other sources - never happened with my Yongnuo’s but had this with PW.

I've had probs with the contacts before so i aways check it's all correctly connected,
Use them about 2 meters typically.
Tried with different batteries, i don't currently use rechargeable.
It's happened in different location so I'd exclude atypical interference.
Im over it - want to move on.
it's a shame because they're good value and easy to use.

I’ve never had misfires with my PocketWizard or my.
Profoto triggers. I know, they may cost more… but I
don't mind paying the price for peace of mind when
I'm on the set.

Though I'm pretty at trouble shooting, I hate it on set.

this was my first go at using more than one off camera flas

Cool take, Amanda, but may I suggest to tone it down
a tad so the highkeys will be tamed giving deeper blues
at the same time. :cool:

Last edited:
PocketWizard or Profoto better for you?

Profoto makes more sense if you are using, or plan to, the system. I do.

PocketWizard works beautifully with my Nikons to Nikon or Profoto flashes.

Last edited:
I’ve never had frequent misfires with Yongnuo, and have never seen them described as particularly unreliable.

So I’m guessing whatever is causing the failure will likely still happen with another brand.

Check:
Contacts, clean and straight
Is the transmitter straight and secure (over tightening can twist them)
Are all receiver connections clean and straight
What distance? Too close or too far away can be an issue
Batteries need to be optimum, some people can’t use rechargeable in triggers due to lower voltage (never been an issue for me)
Interference from other sources - never happened with my Yongnuo’s but had this with PW.

My Yongnuo 560TX has never failed me yet

It must be your fault as Phil says :)

Dave

Thanks - I'm happy to pay more for something reliable.
PocketWizard or Profoto better for you?
The pocket wizards are definitely less reliable.

Profoto are specific for their flashes.

I’d recommend Godox, and a general switch across to their flashes following that.

Following my suggestion in post 6…

Marcus.jpg

The pocket wizards are definitely less reliable.
That is not my experience since the 5 years I used them
Profoto are specific for their flashes.
Absolutely, specific… that is why it makes sense if you
have or plan to reach for the Profoto system.

That is not my experience since the 5 years I used them

That's true of the Plus models but they don't support TTL and the newer PocketWizards which do are pretty much what ruined their reputation.

Absolutely, specific… that is why it makes sense if you

Yeah they won't transmit TTL unless it's their own kit, even if they did they're far too expensive for the ops needs.

Only thing I can think of is make sure you're not using the units too close together, that can throw off some models.

I believe you’re talking about traditional PW’s; the OP requires flex triggers for iTTL and they are definitely less reliable.

No, Phil, I use the Flex TT5 and the Plus 3.

The TT5 with my 3 Nikon flashes and the Plus 3 when I want to
trigger both the Nikon and the Profoto flashes at the same time.

Hmm, I'm now even more confused.
Whatever the reason, I've had problems with the Yonguno across different triggers, flashes and cameras to the extend that I can't isolate the problem.
is there some type of establishment that might be able to take them to to check them for me?
:-/

I've invested in Nikon speed lights

If your shooting gear and flashes are Nikon, you will have
the TTL features and, with the AC3, remote compensation
for up to 3 groups. Very flexible and trustworthy in my work.

No, Phil, I use the Flex TT5 and the Plus 3.

The TT5 with my 3 Nikon flashes and the Plus 3 when I want to
trigger both the Nikon and the Profoto flashes at the same time.
I sold all my PW flex gear after several failures due to rf interference at a local wedding venue. If they hadn’t had such a high 2nd hand value at the time, I’d have thoroughly enjoyed jumping up and down on the bloody things.

i'd heard that pocket wizards were good??
I've invested in Nikon speed lights so if Godox doesn't work with them, i wound't be keen to change them too...
The Godox triggers are as compatible as the PW and Yongnuo (ie you’ll need a transmitter and receivers) the difference is that you can later buy Godox flashes with receivers built in. And there’s an entire family of flashes with built in receivers, from miniature speedlights to sophisticated studio heads.

after several failures due to rf interference at a local wedding venue.

Sorry to read that you had a bad experience… but I have
a ball with them. Many of my colleagues made the jump
as well and, at this point, the only report is a Canon 1…
something with Flex ftt5 and AC3 that feel from a second
floor balcony on a driveway. All lost gear. :(

Sorry to read that you had a bad experience… but I have
a ball with them. Many of my colleagues made the jump
as well and, at this point, the only report is a Canon 1…
something with Flex ftt5 and AC3 that feel from a second
floor balcony on a driveway. All lost gear. :(
Most people I know who bought them later moved to Yongnuo.

When I sold mine, I bought an extra Yongnuo trigger and a couple of Yongnuo speedlights with the proceeds. The best thing about them was the residual value.

My Yongnuo triggers have often flatly refused to work in damp conditions and sometimes but rarely in "normal" use. I have never found a reason for it and they just seem to magically start working again a day later. I only use non-rechargeable batteries in the triggers but use rechargeables in the flashes. Not that any of this helps you but at least you know you are not alone.

I only fire via optical at the moment, and misfires tend to be waiting for the units to recharge...i.e. me being impatient, especially as the battery’s run down.

^^^This

Amanda, you sure it's not just that the flash isn't fully recharged? Unless you actually watch the ready-light every time, that could be it - given that YN has a pretty good reputation, you've checked everything else and regular disposable alkaline batteries are slow, and get progressively slower after just a few full power flashes.

If that is the problem, then get rechargeable NiMH batteries eg Eneloop (they're faster, and stay fast to the end) but speedlights are not the quickest at the best of times. If you're wanting to get more serious with studio lighting, then get some proper studio heads. They're way better, easy to use and not expensive - starting at around £100 for something pretty decent :)

Edit: you've got fresh batteries in transmitter and receiver, as well as the flash unit?

Last edited:
The Godox triggers are as compatible as the PW and Yongnuo (ie you’ll need a transmitter and receivers) the difference is that you can later buy Godox flashes with receivers built in. And there’s an entire family of flashes with built in receivers, from miniature speedlights to sophisticated studio heads.
Hi Phil. I’m not sure which Godox trigger/receivers to get?

^^^This

Amanda, you sure it's not just that the flash isn't fully recharged? Unless you actually watch the ready-light every time, that could be it - given that YN has a pretty good reputation, you've checked everything else and regular disposable alkaline batteries are slow, and get progressively slower after just a few full power flashes.

If that is the problem, then get rechargeable NiMH batteries eg Eneloop (they're faster, and stay fast to the end) but speedlights are not the quickest at the best of times. If you're wanting to get more serious with studio lighting, then get some proper studio heads. They're way better, easy to use and not expensive - starting at around £100 for something pretty decent :)

Edit: you've got fresh batteries in transmitter and receiver, as well as the flash unit?
Checked all that stuff of course. Couldn’t attribute the fails to batteries. Happened across different cameras, different triggers (I’ve got 4 of them) and different flashes. I can’t work out what the issue is. Thanks!

Rats.
Works OK with my Nikon speed lights but not properly with my Neewer one.
When I attach the receiver, the LCD screen doesn't work and for some reason won't flash at the highest powers; just the lower ones.
What the flip is that about???

probably means the Neewer does not conform to all Nikon standards, is there a firmware update available for it?

Mike

Back