Speedlite Flash gun

Name
Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
This may be a stupid question to most on this forum, I purchased a speedlite flash gun about a year ago which had no instructions with it. Can anyone help\advise on how my flash should work? I get the part it either sits on top of your camera or on a external stand, i have been taking photos with it however i always have to under expose from my camera. Although the images look great, i want to have a better understanding on how to use it correctly?

I will soon need to get another flash gun for a photo shoot i need to do for my mum's business, attached is the flash gun i purchased.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Grant!

This is a manual flash rather than ETTL, meaning you have to set the power level yourself.
The numbers in the photo represent the power level: 1/128 = 1/128th of the maximum flash power available. This is the lowest power output available and would not make much difference to most shots, but as it's not ETTL the camera may not be taking into account the extra light from the flash, so would explain why you have to under expose

Last edited:
Thankyou all, much appreciated that would explain a thew things. I will look to get a TTL Flash gun compatible with my camera as im just starting to use flash ( normally i dont use flash )

Mega bucks can be spent on speed lights, I know that when I started what I'll call my 'speed light collection' I always opted for TTL capable lights which are great and worry free but in my opinion I find manual control is much more rewarding, full manual control can give you results that you simply won't get if you just stick the speedlight in TTL mode so when you do look at buying a TTL light I would seriously consider still keeping hold of the manual one you've already got too.

Back