Review Speedliters Handbook by Syl Arena

Mike Jackson

Billy Brownnose
Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just received this book from Amazon so this is a first impression, I'll post more in depth once I've read it front to back.

It's mainly based around Canon kit but I would imagine most of the concepts hold true for other systems.

It looks a fairly easy read and doesn't need to be read front to back. The coverage of Canon flashes is very comprehensive. There's also sections on exposure, modifiers, positioning etc.

Initial impressions are very good and I'm looking forward to settling down and reading all 370 pages.

What do you think about the book Mike? I've got it and am in two minds. At least I now know what buttons I should be pressing to get my Canon flashes to do what I want but I was a little disappointed by the superficial discussion of some techniques in the book. Barely anything on bouncing the flash (although I've got other books that cover that very adequately). The example pictures are a bit hit and miss too - OK they illustrate the point he is trying to make but many are pretty unattractive pictures. I did like his precise discussion of certain light modifiers and it seems like he has saved me from buying some poor products.

I pre ordered the book ages ago, and it was well worth the wait for Amazon UK to shift their buts and deliver it.

The book is a great resource for off camera flash and the canon wireless system, it answered several questions on speedliting within the first half hour. For me, worth every penny.

I've ignored the advice given at the beginning of the book that you should dive in and out of the chapters that are relevant to you. Instead I've sat down and read it cover to cover.

As a complete newcomer to off camera flash I've found it really useful. Certain parts of the book I read through very quickly to get the gist of it and will dive back in when I need to put those parts into practice. I found the explanation of on and off camera E-TTL very informative.

Some of the information given may be a bit superficial but I think that's a good thing as it's good for any level of experience, particularly people like me that are self taught and have possibly got into bad habits. The sections on exposure at the beginning are a bit basic but it's not a bad thing to make sure that someone's got the basics right before moving onto flash photography.

The section on modifiers etc. was great but may end up hurting my pocket. So far I've only bought some flash gels but I've got a hankering for some softboxes now.

All in all one of the best books on photography that I've read. I've read understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson and that was okay but I gave it to a friend because I couldn't see myself re reading it. This book will be staying with me as an essential reference for quite a while yet.

Thanks Mike, been considering this one on advice from others on here, this has just confirmed it :)

Quick one though, are the pictures essential? I want to get it on my kindle but its only black and white screen.

Thanks again :)

Si

Nah, there's basic lighting diagrams for the flash positions.

I had this book on pre order after bumping into Syl's website ages ago, I read it from cover to cover and must say I loved it. Very informative without being over bogged down with tech stuff so you 'know' what to do rather than "enter these three settings". It does go into further details on the menus of the flash itself and lighting diagrams etc.

Highly recommended :)

I got this book a few weeks back. I wanted to learn more about flash photography. I have studio lights aswell and I believe alot holds true for both systems (in manual modes if course).

I felt the technical parts regarding the flash guns themselves can be dive in/dive out. Certainly many of the initial chapters are probably necessary to get going speedliting. Certainly I found it very useful as I found out my Metz and Canon flash guns are compatible. I am just getting into the chapters with the practical application and modifiers. I'm looking forward to maybe making some of my own modifiers but it would seem that there are reasonably costed options out there too.

In summary, this book was worth the money and has thought me alot

?can anyone advise please if it is a good book for non-automatic, cheap off camera flashes as it is for the (?)expensive, automatic Canon speedlites that it covers (I think).

Point is I want to start off with low cost flash to see if it is something I want to develop or just ignore (without spending a small fortune finding out)

My good lady bought me the book last Christmas.
As a speedlight user, I read it cover to cover.
Devoured it, it's my flash bible and is never far from the armchair when I get a few spare hours...

Back