Beginner Speedlites or fixed studio flashes

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
May seem a stupid question but for portability could I use say 3 speedlites opposed to say a lencarta twin head system. Want to take the equipment with me. Question was can I get soft boxes etc to fit around speedlites ?

Any pointers appreciated

Chris

That's great huffy I'll think about these, looking at the add I can get other fittings as well

Thanks very much, do you see any issues with using 3 speedlites ?

I have not done much with speedlites or studio strobes but reading the advice on this site its to start with one light and get the hang of what its doing and when you happy build up to 2 or 3 lights. In a lot of cases you would get the effect you need with just the one light.

I have not done much with speedlites or studio strobes but reading the advice on this site its to start with one light and get the hang of what its doing and when you happy build up to 2 or 3 lights. In a lot of cases you would get the effect you need with just the one light.
Good advice, I bought a couple of speedlites from the forum on a bit of a whim, I'll have a search about and
Have a read up. Thanks again for your help

Chris

You can also just bounce speedlights off reflectors to diffuse light. It usually means another person to hold it, but (shrug).

With multiple speedlights though, how are you syncing them? Once you fit softboxes to speedlights, you're almost certainly gonna run into sync issues if you are thinking of using the camera's in-built flash as a commander as the softboxes themselves often block the speedlight's receiver aperture from seeing the camera.

That's great huffy I'll think about these, looking at the add I can get other fittings as well

Thanks very much, do you see any issues with using 3 speedlites ?
What do you want to use them for?
Speedlights are great, they weigh little and are small and the softbox above is a great bit of kit (with some limitations).

But what do you want to do with 3 of them? Are you thinking of ganging them for power? or are you looking at complicated lighting setups?

If it's the former, buy a Godox Wistro / Lencarta Atom. They're about the same price as 3 cheap speedlights but much better. If you're after overpowering the sun, you'll probably want to get a Safari kit (one light will do a lot).

If it's for the latter, get one good light and learn to use it. If you're not going outside, buy a Smartflash kit (ask for more details).

The Speedlighters Handbook is a great starting point, as is the Strobist blog.

You can also just bounce speedlights off reflectors to diffuse light. It usually means another person to hold it, but (shrug).

With multiple speedlights though, how are you syncing them? Once you fit softboxes to speedlights, you're almost certainly gonna run into sync issues if you are thinking of using the camera's in-built flash as a commander as the softboxes themselves often block the speedlight's receiver aperture from seeing the camera.
I bought the canon 600 ex rt speedlights, I was told they would 'talk' to each other through radio signals not sight ? Hope that's right as I quite like the idea of the soft box and your suggestion. Got a long way to go to be honest. I have a 7d at the mo with a couple of the 600's. I'll search around the forum a bit for a few pointers. Thanks very much for your comment

Chris

What do you want to use them for?
Speedlights are great, they weigh little and are small and the softbox above is a great bit of kit (with some limitations).

But what do you want to do with 3 of them? Are you thinking of ganging them for power? or are you looking at complicated lighting setups?

If it's the former, buy a Godox Wistro / Lencarta Atom. They're about the same price as 3 cheap speedlights but much better. If you're after overpowering the sun, you'll probably want to get a Safari kit (one light will do a lot).

If it's for the latter, get one good light and learn to use it. If you're not going outside, buy a Smartflash kit (ask for more details).

The Speedlighters Handbook is a great starting point, as is the Strobist blog.
To be honest I bought them on a whim and didn't really think about their use etc. Suppose it will be for general lighting for both the odd occasion inside, and not sure about outside yet. Like the idea of the water droplet photography I just got a photo trigger set so plan to try that. I'll take a look at the suggestions you mention thanks for that. I'll look out for the book

Thanks for your advice really appreciated

Chris

I bought the canon 600 ex rt speedlights, I was told they would 'talk' to each other through radio signals not sight ? Hope that's right as I quite like the idea of the soft box and your suggestion. Got a long way to go to be honest. I have a 7d at the mo with a couple of the 600's. I'll search around the forum a bit for a few pointers. Thanks very much for your comment

Chris
Well good luck
Yes they're a great system, you might want to add a transmitter so you can get them both off camera, The Yongnuo YN-E3RT or the Canon ST-E3RT

Thanks Phil and huffy, I must admit I was nervous about pisting questions on the forum as I didn't know what sort of response I would get but both of yours has been more than I expected so thank you very much for that. I'll carry on making postings of my questions now the confidence is there.

Thanks both

Chris

The 600RTs are great for my needs, I have a couple of softbox and a grid, controlling the power of three speed lights is made easy with the addition of the ST-E3RT. Plus it all packs down in my bag no problem, Thing is with photography what works on one subject may not work on another, guess that's where studio photographers have an edge in that they can perfectly control their environments lighting.

I use the Godox V850 flashes and they aren't too expensive
Manual flash is the way to go
Find a willing subject and note all settings it does help!
Good luck

I bought the canon 600 ex rt speedlights, I was told they would 'talk' to each other through radio signals not sight ?

Thats true, but wasn't sure what system you were using.

I think you still need the ST-E3-RT transmitter though don't you?

Thats true, but wasn't sure what system you were using.

I think you still need the ST-E3-RT transmitter though don't you?
An on camera 600 ex rt will command an off camera one. But a transmitter is more useful (especially if it's a relatively inexpensive YN one)

An on camera 600 ex rt will command an off camera one. But a transmitter is more useful (especially if it's a relatively inexpensive YN one)

Ah yes.. forgot the OP had three of them. My bad.

I'm hanging out for the new 430ex iii rt, love the St-e3 but have no idea why Canon did not give focus assist beams? Still they say the 430iii will TX so all good, and then the St to command all three if required :)

I'm hanging out for the new 430ex iii rt, love the St-e3 but have no idea why Canon did not give focus assist beams? Still they say the 430iii will TX so all good, and then the St to command all three if required :)
Why not the Yongnuo?

Agree, I've always had speedlights that's all, I may take a look at one :) The new 430RT is out mid sept I think. I only use the 430 as a walk about flash (the 600s are big for all day use), but I like the fact I could master it and have focus assist with the flash disabled, not that I struggle with the ST in low light.

Well after about an hour of YouTube videos and the manual read I managed to control 2 flashes with one on the 7d so won't need the St e3 I think, unless I want to use 3 independent light sources. Reading the posts above am I right in thinking that the 600's are a tad too powerful ? Should I look at selling and go for 430's or similar ? Noticed lencarta setups for £2 - £300 price of 1 600

Thanks all for the posts, has made this really interesting for me. Worried I've wanted the purchase though

Hi, One of these
eBay item number:

with this for indoors

eBay item number:

or this for outside
eBay item number:

Cheap to start with IMO.
Russ

Hi i use a yongnuo tx560 and 3 yn 560iii flashes also have a yn560iv incase of problematic with the tx560 but none of them have ever missed a beat. Cant beat the portability of speedlights

Back