Spending too much?

Koolpc

Suspended / Banned
Name
Fickle
Edit My Images
No
Do you ever worry that you have spent or are spending too much on a camera or a lens etc etc?

Sometimes I feel guilty spending money on myself even though I don't owe money to anyone, I'm single and I can do whatever I want, but I still feel guilty. Dunno why as I think that a hobby is a good thing to have if it doesn't take over your life so I suppose there's really no harm spending money if you have it.

At the moment there's nothing that I really want but I might just have a look at the Canon 60D which may be out soon.

No. I very carefully research my purchases as I have a very limited budget and I make sure I am sure of what I am getting before I buy it. I don't have a lot of kit but what I do have suits my needs ATM.
I have to balance my spending between my hobbies and I have spent a lot more on musical instruments than I have on photo gear. The bias is more towards togging stuff just now as I don't need any more guitars, mics etc. I may want more however.

I think overall its all about getting enjoyment from what you buy and if you think you have overspent then you have.

Having spent £500+ on my first DSLR i keep worrying that i shouldn't have spent so much! Wife is ok with it though. Just me worrying about how much i have spent!

Last edited:
I would hate to add up what I've spent since Dec 08..3k+....but I use everything. If I find something isn't getting used I don't need it so sell it and buy something else :D

If you are worried you can't afford something, you probably shouldn't have bought it...

I would hate to add up what I've spent since Dec 08..

Yeah from one hobbyist to any other hobbyist. DO NOT tot up how much you've spent on your camera gear - I almost filled my pants.

To be honest I'm not overly concerned about the money I've spent. On the lenses it's not so bad especially if you buy second hand since they hold their value well. For bodies, then yeah you should worry :)

Having spend £500+ on my first DSLR i keep worrying that i shouldn't have spent so much! Wife is ok with it though. Just me worrying about how much i have spent!

Is it not your 6th DSLR?

To be honest I'm not overly concerned about the money I've spent. On the lenses it's not so bad especially if you buy second hand since they hold their value well. For bodies, then yeah you should worry :)

I would say most of my gear has been bought used through here so value wise not much to loose if any. Biggest new purchase was the D300 when Currys were clearing the last of their stock.

I would say most of my gear has been bought used through here so value wise not much to loose if any. Biggest new purchase was the D300 when Currys were clearing the last of their stock.

exactly :) you can always sell the gear for usually not much less than you bought them for if you need to free up some cash. Although it can be an awful lot of money to tie up in camera gear.

exactly :) you can always sell the gear for usually not much less than you bought them for if you need to free up some cash. Although it can be an awful lot of money to tie up in camera gear.

It is when I think about the 300/400 2.8 I want :love:

I used to think the prices where all telephone numbers but you get used to the cost of this hobby to the point where you can look at a £1000 lens and be more worried about spec's and results than the cost.
Except of course until it comes to funding it!

In all honesty coming back to this from astronomy and astro imaging the prices of gear isn't so scary, as in that game it really does get scary price wise.

My only criticism is the same as always, the cost of relatively slow lenses.
I still can't get my head round someone spending £400 + on an F4-5.6 lens or even worse nearly a grand on an F4, for that sort of money I still want F2.8 at least..bearing in mind of course that whatever a lenses largest aperture I bank on having to stop down a stop or two to get it nice and sharp.

When I added it all up when I sorted out the insurance and it came to £14K I thought blimey if I had that much money here now would I do it again then I thought... Well yes so I'm quite happy then I spent even more :bonk:

You can't take it with you when you die. :shrug: :)
Exactly. As long as you have enough to make ends meet then if you have some money spare and it makes you happy to buy/have nice gear then why not. (y)

How much would a 20-a-day smoking habit cost? I know which I'd rather spend my money on....
Maybe the NHS should just tell smokers to take up photography and go and buy some L gass. There sure wouldn't have much spare cash to spend on smokes then! :LOL:

What do you have now? 500D or 7D you have 2 hours ago?

lol. From the threads I've seen, I make it out to be 1000d then got a Pentax K-x as a gift, then read he has the 500d and now 7D. Must be all within a month too.

lol. From the threads I've seen, I make it out to be 1000d then got a Pentax K-x as a gift, then read he has the 500d and now 7D. Must be all within a month too.

I know Canon have a reputation for being a bit iffy, but even I'd have thought they'd last longer than that :LOL:

Collecting glass is one thing but four bodies in a month :LOL:

I dont normally worry, as i earn the money im comfortable with how i live etc, however i do think ive spent too much in the past month,

Sb600
sigma 50-500
D90 Battery Grip
few cheap macro lenses
D90 Companion book

Saying that, since i bought the d90 last november iv only bought a 50mm lens, and a camera bag thats about it, oh and a giotto tripod, erm and a mono pod...wait a minute im spending a fortune, i hate this thread lol...

In the days of film ,cameras did not change that much.Now days its changing every few months so people will upgrade for the sake of it.
Use your gear,bet most people will not see any diffrence in there photography unless they photograph brick walls and charts but if you need somthing for a purpuse eg long lens then if you can afford it buy it if not dont

If you are worried you can't afford something, you probably shouldn't have bought it...

Very true! If you can't afford it but you buy it anyway, you're spending too much.

How much would a 20-a-day smoking habit cost? I know which I'd rather spend my money on....

Based on a pack price of £5 and a normal (non leap) year, £1825. Not quite D3 money but it would easily fund a D700 and a few cards. Cut out the pub drinking as well and there's that D3, a couple of lenses and a clear head in the morning to catch the golden hour!

I keep thinking about upgrading the body but the bigger cameras are not comfortable in my little hands so I prefer to spend on lenses etc.

I don't really think about the cost of my kit once it's spent I just enjoy it.

All hobbies are expensive, even ones you think shouldn't be and if you can afford it and its not money that should be spent on paying bills etc, why not

Gave up drinking a couple of years ago, alcohol and cluster headaches don't mix that well

Working on the assumption of 3 quid a pint reckon I should be able to afford some pretty tasty photo kit, but don't actually seem to be any better off.

Back