Spirit of Tasmania

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Most passengers on the "Spirit" are tourists or mainlanders visiting Tasmania but I was an islander
making my annual pilgrimage to the mainland to visit family in Wangaratta, North Eastern Victoria.
A-800.jpg

2. Seagulls swoop for easy pickings as the ship's thrusters churn the water. E-3
B-800.jpg

3. Arrival at Port Melbourne shortly after sunrise. E-3
C-800.jpg

4. Port Melbourne is a popular place for fishermen. E3
D-800.jpg

5. A semi Trailer emerges laden with candy from Cadbury's Tasmanian Chocolate factory. E-3
E-800.jpg

6. There are many A/C power outlets throughout the ship where a laptop can be plugged. E-3
F-800.jpg

7. A Deluxe Suite like this is the only way to go ... if you like to travel in style! D70s
G-800.jpg

8. The Bridge.D70s
H-800.jpg

9. A la Carte Dining Restaurant. D70s
I-800.jpg

10. There are several dining areas aboard the "Spirit". D70s
J-800.jpg

11. Passengers are free to roam about the ship and sit wherever they wish. D70s
K-800.jpg

12. Entering the Mersey River, Devonport, Tasmania. D70s
L-800.jpg

13. Passengers await to disembark on one of several vehicle decks. D70s
M-800.jpg

14. It's shortly after 6:00am as the Spirit approaches the Mersey mouth. E-3
N-800.jpg

What I like about your posts is the narrative way you put them together, almost a travelogue. Makes me feel more like I've been there. Oh, and the pictures are good as well.

Andy

Thanks Andy, that's really nice feedback! I enjoy using pictures to illustrate what I've been up to. I guess my next post will be about the 260km drive from Melbourne to Wangaratta in the 40'C (104'F) withering heat wave that's sweeping Southern Australia.

enjoyed the spirit photos and look forward to your next post.
we never get the weather reports from Aus the news is full of us freezing....will be interesting to see how you fare in the heatwave

Good stuff Mark.

However.........you're walking on thin ice here by referring to Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate as "candy"!!! :p

The maps a bit oversize ;)

Guess i might be doing something like this later this year. We are planning an Australian tour. Melbourne is on the itinerary but Tasmania isn't. Early days yet. looks like it will be around a 6 week trip. Hope our weak pound improves against your dollar before too long. Could be an expensive trip.

Anyway, as said above nice way to document a journey. Are there further installments?

enjoyed the spirit photos and look forward to your next post. We never get the weather reports from Aus the news is full of us freezing....will be interesting to see how you fare in the heatwave
Thanks Marnie - Our news has been covering both the UK and US whiteouts and the serious consequences of it - although it is reported that some kids on both sides of the Atlantic think it's great that their schools are closed! :nuts:
Good stuff Mark. However.........you're walking on thin ice here by referring to Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate as "candy"!!! :p
Wooops! :thinking: It was just a typo Michael - - I type 'confections' and this godamned Yankee keyboard auto converts it! :shrug:

The maps a bit oversize ;)

Guess i might be doing something like this later this year. We are planning an Australian tour. Melbourne is on the itinerary but Tasmania isn't. Early days yet. looks like it will be around a 6 week trip. Hope our weak pound improves against your dollar before too long. Could be an expensive trip.

Anyway, as said above nice way to document a journey. Are there further installments?
Sorry about the map - I must read again the :rules:

Glad to hear that you plan to visit us soon, although I have to say that you will miss the best part of Oz by not including Tasmania - just like visiting UK without a trip to Essex! ;) However, should you change your mind I am well able to advise on any aspect of touring around the island.

As for your weak pound, it's a blessing for my partner who is visiting UK in April for a month, only she regrets having bought a bunch of English £'s @ .54P = $1.00AU when now she could buy at .58P. Nevertheless, there's a "pay-back" here in that our Aussie dollar was worth only 42P when we visited UK back in 1990! :D

Regarding further instalments to this thread, I will be posting some pictures taken on my shorter than intended visit to Victoria - I couldn't handle Wangaratta's ear wax melting heat - 43' Celsius or 109.4' Fahrenheit, however you say it. Tassie is normally around 10'C cooler in summer.

Great set on good images. I love all the people sitting using their laptops!! he he. How on earth did you get to go on the bridge?

Good work!

Mark

I love looking through your images, I was born in Sydney but have lived in the UK since I was 3.

We are in the early stages of planning a visit to the east coast, I have relatives dotted all over NSW.

My wife likes the idea of emigrating, but I don't think she will like the bugs or heat, so a holiday first is a must.

Richard

.... How on earth did you get to go on the bridge? Good work!
Well I didn't masquerade as an admiral or anything like that! It helps to know the right people. ;)
Mark - I love looking through your images, I was born in Sydney but have lived in the UK since I was 3.
We are in the early stages of planning a visit to the east coast, I have relatives dotted all over NSW.
My wife likes the idea of emigrating, but I don't think she will like the bugs or heat, so a holiday first is a must. Richard
g'day Richard - being born in Oz makes you an Aussie so you should have no problem emigrating should you wish to. Tasmania's history, culture and climate is more like England's than mainland Oz and your wife would probably have no problem adapting here. Furthermore, Bass Strait is a great buffer for keeping the rellies at bay! :wave:

g'day Richard - being born in Oz makes you an Aussie so you should have no problem emigrating should you wish to. Tasmania's history, culture and climate is more like England's than mainland Oz and your wife would probably have no problem adapting here. Furthermore, Bass Strait is a great buffer for keeping the rellies at bay! :wave:

I have recently found out that I resume citizenship for about £160, which includes a new passport, bit of a no brainer really.

Trust me, it will be the best value you could ever get for your £160. There are "boat people" paying people smugglers hundreds of thousands of US dollars and risking their lives to enter Australia illegally. They all end up on Australia's Christmas Island detention centre in the Indian Ocean.

If i'd got the chance leaky i'd go for it...lived there for a while and loved it

Great pics, good storyline feeling to it.

Great to see some pics without snow too!

Great pics, good storyline feeling to it.
Great to see some pics without snow too!
Many of us Aussies are looking forward to winter although normally we don't get much snow if any. But who knows what we'll get next winter - nothing about the weather is "normal" anymore! :shrug:

Good stuff Mark.
However.........you're walking on thin ice here by referring to Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate as "candy"!!! :p
Well MisterE, as you've no doubt heard, Kraft Foods have just gobbled up Cadbury's so my reference above to their Dairy Milk Chocolate as "Candy" was somewhat prophetic, huh? :D I swear never to buy another Cadbury product again! :thumbsdown:

Well MisterE, as you've no doubt heard, Kraft Foods have just gobbled up Cadbury's so my reference above to their Dairy Milk Chocolate as "Candy" was somewhat prophetic, huh? :D I swear never to buy another Cadbury product again! :thumbsdown:

Candy will never make it to our land! We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender [Winston Churchill 1940]. The Battle of Britain II has begun!

But honestly.............I prefer Galaxy chocolate myself!

Candy will never make it to our land! We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender [Winston Churchill 1940]. The Battle of Britain II has begun!

But honestly.............I prefer Galaxy chocolate myself!

Ah yes indeed, I remember the immortal words from my early school days before the war had ended. Nevertheless the Battle of the Chocolate hath been lost without a shot, and none dare call it treason. Remember that Cadbury's first overseas factory stands right here in Hobart, once part of an Empire upon which the sun never set!

And also being something of a chocoholic myself, my choice is Belgian Dark, 85% pure cocoa, of which I scoff at least one 400gm (14oz) block each week!

Just don't mention Lollies!

I am coming over the Tazzy in March with a bunch of MINI's...love the pics of the Ferry, am very excited now! Doing mostly the northern end though!

Roo

Just don't mention Lollies!
I am coming over the Tazzy in March with a bunch of MINI's...love the pics of the Ferry, am very excited now! Doing mostly the northern end though!
Roo
I'll look out for your Tassie Pics sometime after Easter then! (y)!

Back