Splitting and mirroring

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have Lightroom, I want to know how to do something.

I want to take a picture, split it in half, get rid of one half, then mirror the other half and match it up to the remaining half to make a full-sized picture again. Anyone know how to do this, or at least give me an incline as to what the process might be called so I can look it up. BTW, it's not called mirroring as that just flips the whole image.

A bit confused, do you want to mirror the half your keeping, with the half you have disposed of, and presumably you have see this done before.

I'm not sure you can without photoshop, at least not without a lot of additional steps or some kind of third party preset.
It would be relatively easy in PS
Crop to the area you want, copy it and paste into a new blank image twice as wide.
Then flip original image and copy/paste again.
In PS you could then move that second file about to align it which I don't think Lightroom can do at all.
There is probably some free software will do what you want and little else as a kind of party trick.

Theres an even quicker way in photoshop, select the half you want to keep, ctrl C then ctrl V, go to transform and flp and drag it across to the half your covering.
Cant think of any way to do it in LR though, certainly no easy way.

The only way I can think that might work in LR is to crop the half you want, duplicate, flip and then use the Print module to print them to file side by side with no border or padding between them. Not sure if that is possible though

The only way I can think that might work in LR is to crop the half you want, duplicate, flip and then use the Print module to print them to file side by side with no border or padding between them. Not sure if that is possible though
test.jpg

The hardest part is getting a specific aspect ratio, but the copying and flipping is pretty simple.

A bit confused, do you want to mirror the half your keeping, with the half you have disposed of, and presumably you have see this done before.

Yes, just keep the one half but combine it with a mirror image of the same half. I have seen it done to a face which showed that anyone's face looks very weird when halves are identical showing that no one's face is absolutely even.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I do have an Adobe CC subscription so I can access Photoshop; I'll have a look at that. Just seen Dave's (Ed Sutton) post above and I can see how it can be done. I'll look into all these methods.

View attachment 381811

The hardest part is getting a specific aspect ratio, but the copying and flipping is pretty simple.

I've done it with a sample image but I find there is the thinnest line down the middle that I can't get rid of. This is not the photo I'm going to be using for my efforts as I haven't taken that one yet, this is just a try-out for the process:

Flipping.jpg

I've done it with a sample image but I find there is the thinnest line down the middle that I can't get rid of. This is not the photo I'm going to be using for my efforts as I haven't taken that one yet, this is just a try-out for the process:

View attachment 381865
I can't replicate that. :thinking: All I can suggest is checking all the sliders in the print layout panel. Especially the horizontal Cell Spacing slider.

I can't replicate that. :thinking: All I can suggest is checking all the sliders in the print layout panel. Especially the horizontal Cell Spacing slider.

I'll look again with the actual photo, when I've taken it. It does look promising though, so thanks for your help.

I just tried albeit in PS
Are you meaning something like this?
Crocus warped mirror test.jpg

Rectangular marquee tool, to select the bit you want to mirror, ctrl C, ctrl V to paste onto a new layer. Then ctrl T to select all. Inside that box, right click and flip either horizontal, or vertical. Job done :)

This was a super quick test btw so there are miss alignments.

All done. I know how to do it in Lightroom now. Same picture as above but without the line down the middle.

Dave, I took your suggestion and noticed that one of the sliders was oh-so-slightly off the bottom. Turned it right down and hey presto, there it is. Now I have to get the real picture.

Paul, fortunately it can be done in Lightroom. I have access to Photoshop but I'm too old to be learning a massive software package like that; maybe one day, maybe not. but thanks anyway.

Mirror.jpg

I did this with Adobe Elements 2 about 20 years ago. Sadly I can't remember the process but it couldn't have been too difficult.
I did graduate to Elements 5 and it's still useful on the rare occasion!
Good Luck ;)

Schipol-Twice.jpg

Back