Critique Spooky Lane - Photoshop - All CC Welcome

i'd make the 'ghost' less obvious so that it's even creepier when you finally spot it

good creepy vibe though :)

I'm only viewing via mobile but looks good here, I love messing around with this kind of edit. (y)(y)

This is very cool imagery in my book!
…got any more?

Looks good fun. I've never tried anything like that myself. There is something slightly bothering me about the fog/mist though. Maybe its just the foreground branch shouldn't be white in my mind. And I also think the ghost should be a bit more translucent.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Will make the ghost more ghostly :p

The branch I think I will leave, but only because it will take me hours to sort that sucker out haha

ALSO, This image has made 'Explore' on fllickr (i think, how can you tell?) It is quite far down mind you but my phone has kept me up all night with sodding notifications.:D

Much Love

Jon

Last edited:
Must admit when I saw the photo first I thought the ghost was more like an Angel with wings exposed?
So agree it could be better as you said above to make the ghost more ghostly;). This could imho also be successfully used as a Winter scene Christmas Card...........?

I just would not have the patience or the Photoshop knowledge to do such a transformation, so applaud your efforts - really cool image. (y)

Would be interested to know the technique used to apply the mist / fog effect?

OK. Here it is with the ghost more transparent.

Spooky Lane Comp more ghostly by Jon Short, on Flickr

I wanted to make it even more transparent however when I do the ghost looses alot of her form and just seems to disappear in the fog. Which is great but would be really easy to miss.

Would be interested to know the technique used to apply the mist / fog effect?

Here are the layers I used for the fog. This probably doesn't help much but you can see how much went into just the fog alone, which I admit was the hardest thing to get right, Im still not sure it is right lol.

Fog layers by Jon Short, on Flickr

A very good source for alot of Photoshop stuff is PHLEARN. And he does some good tutorials on mist/fog HERE and HERE.

The main thing I used for the texture/body of the fog was: Filter > Render > Difference clouds and then used the screen blend mode (i think) and then used Free Transform to move and reshape.
I also used "White -> Transparent" Gradients and also painting white and altered Opacity.

Like I say the fog was the hardest thing to do and if I didn't stop when I did I would still be P***ing about with it now :p

Hope this helps :D

Much Love

Jon.

Last edited:
I liked it with the 'ghost' as a solid human better, since it made me ask why there was a woman dressed like that in the woods on a freezing day, rather than the more obvious ghost.

It's a great idea, the one hiccup being that the 'mist' looks like brush strokes instead of floating in layers. Really good concept though.

OK. Here it is with the ghost more transparent.

Spooky Lane Comp more ghostly by Jon Short, on Flickr

I wanted to make it even more transparent however when I do the ghost looses alot of her form and just seems to disappear in the fog. Which is great but would be really easy to miss.

Here are the layers I used for the fog. This probably doesn't help much but you can see how much went into just the fog alone, which I admit was the hardest thing to get right, Im still not sure it is right lol.

Fog layers by Jon Short, on Flickr

A very good source for alot of Photoshop stuff is PHLEARN. And he does some good tutorials on mist/fog HERE and HERE.

The main thing I used for the texture/body of the fog was: Filter > Render > Difference clouds and then used the screen blend mode (i think) and then used Free Transform to move and reshape.
I also used "White -> Transparent" Gradients and also painting white and altered Opacity.

Like I say the fog was the hardest thing to do and if I didn't stop when I did I would still be P***ing about with it now :p

Hope this helps :D

Much Love

Jon.

Wow - that was a lot of hard work.............. did not realise that so many steps could be involved. Thanks for the links; I will try the tutorials out.

I really like it, but I'd like to see a little less fog around the building.

I know in reality the further objects will be more difficult to see in fog, but that's where the image leads the eye and I'd like to see a little more of it.

Well I couldn't help it, I did a little edit on your pic.. blurred darken overlay on the ghost, house, tree and a little foreground.

ghost-all.jpg

What did you do for the darken overlay? Did you just use curves/level adjustment?

Also over 8000 views on flickr! My most views before was 200 odd on a picture of my cat and only because I used the tag 'pussy''cat'.

I was puzzled by the lighting. I thought at first "misty night & car headlights" but found I couldn't locate the car. So then I wondered if it was a long exposure with torch light painting.

OK....so I'd say job done.
The figure of the girl in the trees in shot one gave me a raving fit of the heeby-jeebies.

Great image Jon, very atmospheric and spooky. Have to agree about the ghost though, looks too much like an angel

Back