Beginner Sports at night, high iso help

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Done a midweek football match last week, very poor lighting with only 4 flood lights (one each corner)

I was bouncing around the 20,000-25,600 range to get 1/640 shutter and I have a load of noise as I thought I would.

Any software or good info to help me remove or make these more respectable ? Or is this just far to much to ask from the D500?

I prefer Imogenic noisewhere. A few years back I did a proper comparrison of all the ones I could find. Noisewhere came out best for me (I've no connection with the company) That was a few years back and stuff may have changed but it's the one I use. I cant do a comparrison but I was playing with a Nikon D3400 last week and was really supprised by it's high iso images, really impressive at 6400 iso. Might be worth you taking a look how it compares with what you have, I don't know the Nikon range these days, last one I had was a D3/700/d2x

This was at ISO32000 on my d500. For a snap its OK ( a bit smeary TBH )

ISO32000
by damianmkv, on Flickr

the problem with using too strong noise removal..as above. is a plastic doll look...You can also lose some facial features which isnt good if the person in the pic sees it and thinks you ahve removed a mole or summat .... I just use dust/scratches in photoshop.. reducing the size also helps..

Try to fill the frame when shooting.. then you can reduce the size and that does a better job than any software IMHO :)

Also remeber.. from a night football match some noise is acceptable if not expected from a non league ground ..

the problem with using too strong noise removal..as above. is a plastic doll look...You can also lose some facial features which isnt good if the person in the pic sees it and thinks you have removed a mole or summat .... I just use dust/scratches in photoshop.. reducing the size also helps..

Try to fill the frame when shooting.. then you can reduce the size and that does a better job than any software IMHO :)

Also remeber.. from a night football match some noise is acceptable if not expected from a non league ground ..

Appreciate that, thank you, i know your the man for this sort of thing, few below basic noise stuff, but only Lightroom, acceptable? maybe?

Wincanton v Longwell Green by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

I think content is probably more important than technical excellence, photographing a night match for me is more about getting something the fans might want to look at, and getting the ‘night match atmosphere’. When I look at my old stuff I never think about sharpness or even focus, just composition and relevance, and how it makes me ‘feel’...

Clearly just my thoughts, absolutely feel free to ignore,

Mike

I think content is probably more important than technical excellence, photographing a night match for me is more about getting something the fans might want to look at, and getting the ‘night match atmosphere’. When I look at my old stuff I never think about sharpness or even focus, just composition and relevance, and how it makes me ‘feel’...

Clearly just my thoughts, absolutely feel free to ignore,

Mike
Thank you, i never ignore anything, if you've taken the time to post, the least i can do is listen and tbf i agree now I've done a few more, even the 3pm KO is floodlit before the end, so it's getting to be a daily thing.

as you can see from this one at 16600, im much more confident with whats 'acceptable' now, not technically the best but acceptable im my eyes.

Wincanton Town FC 2-2 Chippenham Park FC by Wayne Scott, on Flickr

Thanks for that, not easy covering football is it? It’s even harder if you don’t know the players and their likely moves. Corners and free kicks are good opportunities, I used to be on the goal line shooting up as they go for the usual header, shooting at an upwards angle helps with the background too along with a wide aperture to get rid of anything distracting...

Mike

Back