Sports day

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to my granddaughters sports day yesterday, cracking day it was too, 2 1st places and 2 2nds :)

Didn't take my camera, mostly because I don't have one at the moment but was hoping to get a few pictures with the phone but as is often the case, photography was not allowed, yet the school were selling a dvd for a tenner. Seems odd to me that a dvd of the event is available but photos were prohibited.

or maybe photography is probited because the school wants to sell everyone a dvd instead ;)

It's usually upto the school on there photo policy. The two junior schools my two have been too have allowed photography of all school activities as long as they are not uploaded to social media, although they seem very relaxed about that too.

Perhaps they have some children whose whereabouts have to be kept secret, and by only filming it themselves they can ensure that those children aren't featured and so don't appear on social media?

I think part of the issue (as a parent who's experienced similar stuff) is that when parents take pics, they plaster said pics all over FB and Twitter. Other parents whose kids are in those same photos might have objections to this.

It's all a bit crazy really but equally none of us can say to another parent they're wrong in being protective of their kids... so we just have to live with it.

If you're just taking pictures for personal use (not FB etc.) and you're a relative then I think it's rubbish that they prevent you taking shots.

I think part of the issue (as a parent who's experienced similar stuff) is that when parents take pics, they plaster said pics all over FB and Twitter. Other parents whose kids are in those same photos might have objections to this.

One common reason for this is when parents of a child are separated and there may be custody issues or even restraining orders.

If you're just taking pictures for personal use (not FB etc.) and you're a relative then I think it's rubbish that they prevent you taking shots.

There is no way for a school to control what happens to the images afterwards so the only logical solution is to prohibit. On the plus side, at least there's a bit of work for the local professional. ;)

Which to be fair is one good thing about it (the pros getting some exclusivity).

However, I do think there should only be a reasonable number of "no photo" races where there are no photos allowed. If kids' parents (or guardians) don't want their kids in photos then they can restrict them to just those. That way they are restricting their own participation, rather than impacting everyone else's. Social media is ubiquitous these days and if you don't like it then I think that's fine, but you have to acknowledge there's a price to pay for that.

I have a pair of good friends who adopted a boy from a very disadvantaged and abusive background. They were basically "in hiding" for 3 years while the fostering took place and then the adoption happened. When he was at parties with our two I was always careful to exclude him from photos because it was so much of an issue. Of course, it's also not the sort of thing to publicise so schools and playgroups have to accommodate those who have very good reason to avoid pictures appearing. Which is why having part of these events as photo-friendly and part as "no photos allowed" seems like a reasonable compromise. I would expect parents would also be a lot more adherent to the no photos rule if they knew there would be a later (or early) part where it was allowed.

I've yet to see a "no photos" event which hasn't had parents getting their phones out throughout snapping away. And I'm sure the pictures appear on facebook etc., so better to take a more balanced approach which allows those who have really good reason to avoid it still to enjoy at least part of it. And for the rest of us to be able to take pictures of our kids at a fairly important time...

I understand how it is funny to see victories of own childs. Great...

I do a lot of school sports.. a couple a week.. I have two on monday and one during the week..

When I arrive I am told which children arn't allowed to be photographed. sometimes it's a whole school at multi school events. Most of mine everyone is allowed to take pics.. but indoor events the parents will struggle.. also positioning to get good pics of the children.. I can go anywhere but parents are restricted where they can go.. Thus ..surely my pics could be considered a service? www.kipax.com/schools

My daughter recently had a sports day at her nursery. I asked the nursery beforehand if I can take photos and they said no. Then a few days before the event they asked me to be the days photographer but on the agreement I had to delete all my images after giving them a copy!

On the day there were heaps of other parents with cameras who I assumed didn't even bother to check with the nursery.

Back