Spot metering in depth

Name
Haralabos
Edit My Images
Yes
My first post here and please accept in advance my apologies for my poor English .
Of course i am not searching the way to select the spot metering function on a camera but the overall philosophy behind . To be more specific , the criteria on where to put the spot on a scene and immediately after that what to do with the exposure compensation .
The missing parts on my way of approaching the overall scenario are more than evident .
Have read a lot on the above , zone system etc.
Any suggestions , instructions , guidance will be more than appreciated . Thank you all in advance for your time .

Derek Forss, a YouTube contributor who uses Olympus cameras, has some useful videos about using spot metering. Perhaps these would be helpful.

Derek Forss, a YouTube contributor who uses Olympus cameras, has some useful videos about using spot metering. Perhaps these would be helpful.
Thank you very much for your response . Will take a look .

1. For exposure, aim the spot at a midtone area...like an 18% gray card placed at the subject position.

2. For dynamic range of a scene to be captured, aim the spot at the area where the darkest detail lies that you wish to preserve, then aim the spot at the area where the lightest detail lies that you wish to preserve, and the difference of those extremes is the dynamic range you are trying to capture. The ideal exposure is in the middle, between those two extremes, Depending upon the scene, it might NOT be possible to cature the full dynamic range of the scene on the film you are shooting.

#1 might not match #2..if not, then YOU have to determine whether
  1. your capturing the photo to preserve the INHERENT BRIGHTNESS of all objects in the scene is most important,, or
  2. It is most important to capture detail at the two extremes of the dynamic range of the scene

Last edited:
I don't know what to add beyond you're massively overthinking this. Unless you're genuinely hoping to be shooting a very expensive film format.

If you spot meter - and want to follow the meter, then you need to point the meter at something 18% reflective.

If you don't know what 18% reflective looks like, then the only metering method you can rely on is an incident reading, failing that it's a case of measure and adjust till you get it right (or learn from those readings)

Spot metering for me was always an 'ideal' circumstance. If I'd had the equipment to do it, I'd have been inclined to use it to meter for the highlights, then up the exposure on the camera a couple of stops at most. That philosophy being relevant to slide film (which digital largely equates to) and geared to protection of highlights.

It's all a bit clinical and slow, unless you're in a studio. Out and about, a hand-held meter (or in-camera centre-weighted metering), coupled with a measure of healthy guesswork, should get you into the range of good results.

But it's about mapping tones and relating them to the medium you're using. In the short term, forget it. Concentrate on making meaningful photographs.

And based on my own experiments with a Sekonic spot meter, I'll add that flare within the meter's optics makes a big difference. I can look it up, but I think I found that getting close in to a black object which was against a white window frame in daylight such that only the black was in the viewfinder made a two stop difference to a reading from further back where the spot was on the black, but the white parts were also in view.

The difference was real, my assumption is that flare caused it.

I don't spot meter, and I use large format film.

Last edited:
Grass is 18% grey which is pretty handy outdoors.
Lush green lawn grass (y)
Not dried out summer grass though:thinking:

Spot metering is absolutely the hardest to master of all the metering modes. If I pick a camera up and point it at a fairly random view of the world; CW, average, matrix or eval metering have got an above 90% chance of giving me a workable exposure value.

By its very nature a spot meter has got a 5% chance of success used randomly. A much higher chance of success if I vaguely know what a ‘mid tone’ looks like and 100% if I use a grey card.

But if I’m gonna use a grey card properly I might as well have taken an incident reading while I was placing the card.

Just to clarify are you using film or digital? In camera meter or separate light meter?

For me spot metering is only useful in specific circumstances, for example shooting a portrait that is strongly back lit and I want the face to be correctly exposed and don't mind if the background is over exposed. Anther use is in a high contrast scene to get a feel for the dynamic range, spot meter the shadows and highlights and then make some choices about exposure, bracketing etc.

As I understand it the zone system is really aimed at getting the best negative for printing. I know some people apply it to digital but in a modern digital camera the multi/matrix/eval mode takes care of it.

Grass is 18% grey which is pretty handy outdoors.
This is often stated, yet not necessarily accurate. Different grasses meter at different brightnesses relative to an 18% gray card, unfortunately. For one thing, moisture on the grass can significantly alter its reflectivity, so that depending upon where the light source is located, the surface sheen can mislead the meter. Over a decade ago (when we still had grass in my backyard), I put a gray card out on the grass in both shade and in sun, and measured both with a one-degree spot meter... on average there was around a -1.5 EV difference in brightness, within the range of -1.2 to -1.7EV difference (grass was less bright than grey card) during that experiment. IOW, the results showed that it will not necessarily match 18% gray card tonality!

Similar urban legend exists about surrogate 18% gray, about the suitability of concrete sidewalks and driveways...there is actually a range of brightness, and the match to 18% tonality is not ensured.

Film vs. digital does not matter...everything (meters and film) is calibrated to the same ISO standards and equations. Period, end of statement.
The only difference is the range of brightness which can be captured from darkest to lightest tone, and the capture characteristic is simply 'different'.. B&W neg vs color neg vs. color transparency vs. which specific camera at what specific ISO. Yes there is some degree of similarity of transparency and digital shooting, in the consideration of highlight detail.

One of the hardest challenges to training your eye about what reflects back as a 'mid-tone' (e.g. 18% tonality) is how COLOR fools the eys. Here is a MacBeth Color Checker card, first, in color then with color removed...look at the color version and identify which ones you think are 'midtone', and then see the B&W version to see how far off your assessment of color happens to be!
Colorcheck-1.jpg

This image is the above shot, with Zero setting for Saturation, so I could annotate the photo. The EV values annotated were obtained by taking Minolta spotmeter readings of the actual Colorchecker card using the meter's EV difference capability, with the 18% gray reference patch in the bottom row. (Note there is little correlation simply dialing down Saturation, and the actual brightness value seen by a spotmeter, as seen in desaturated patches labele 0.0! vs the Reference patch)
IMG_7030_-1_EV_aMePPShnqZgnJ6J5zFRb1R.jpg

For me, the use of spotmeter is done as more predicable result than a meter which simply sees an overall scene and is fooled by subject brightness, and when I am in the studio it permits me to adjust lighting so that it all will predictably fit within the narrower range of tones that can be reproduced on the offset printed page, when clients intend for the illustration to be included in printed literature.

Last edited:
This is a larg(ish) subject, with probably as many devotees are there are detractors. But, I think someone should mention that the OP hasn't been logged in to the forum since June...

This is a larg(ish) subject, with probably as many devotees are there are detractors. But, I think someone should mention that the OP hasn't been logged in to the forum since June...
And that his other interest appears to be the Nikon 1 system.

This question therefore strikes me as a ukele player reading about Mozart and asking how that could be useful

Last edited:
Back