weekly sr1867 ~ 52 ~ 2014 : Support ~ DONE ~ DUSTED ~ FINISHED ~ COMPLETE.

Not overly keen on the vertical shot, sorry.

Yum is a great capture :)

Loud is a very good interpretation of the theme, nice and clean with just a smudge of motion on the LP (y)

Two great submissions here Simon, Loud is good, but Rich is completely awesome.... (y) :clap:

I'd love for you to spill the beans on how you did this one, 'cos it looks completely real! The burnt crinkles of the notes are real, the fifties look real... don't tell me they are all real?

Fantastic job.

Two great submissions here Simon, Loud is good, but Rich is completely awesome.... (y) :clap:

I'd love for you to spill the beans on how you did this one, 'cos it looks completely real! The burnt crinkles of the notes are real, the fifties look real... don't tell me they are all real? Fantastic job.
Rich - a really good image there as Graham have said be interesting to hear how you have done this?

Ok I would love to tell you something really exciting that will blow you away but the truth is dull sorry.
Its as simple as in order Google images - A printer - Scissors - Tripod - Remote Trigger - Box of matches. And there you have the best of only 4 very quickly taken shots before I burnt my hand.

Thanks for the kind comments

First loud: I like it (well executed) but I find my eye being drawn around the scene a bit too much - I think it would be stronger with a single point of focus. Should I be looking at the volume, the sharp infocus arm touching the record or the blur or the name of the LP? I'd like more or less blur as well, but others seem to disagree! No matter, it's a very well taken shot with really good DOF, good light and a great take on the theme.

Rich - really nicely done... good fire and smoke. Great take on the theme again and well executed in terms of lighting, focus etc. I might prefer a bit of separation between the arm/t-shirt and notes (rather than overlapping) but otherwise great... hard to improve for me!

Hi ya

Loud....interesting & different take on the theme....& a sentiment I totally agree with :D Not quite sure on the crop/comp....I think I'd have liked more top the head & less neck....maybe a bit wider to include some eye.....or I could be talking rubbish ;)

Rich,.....great idea for the theme , very believable , good exposure on the flames....only small comment would be to have had more of the hand showing possibly ?

Its as simple as in order Google images - A printer - Scissors - Tripod - Remote Trigger - Box of matches. And there you have the best of only 4 very quickly taken shots before I burnt my hand.

HaHa Excellent (y)

Rich / Loud reshoot: I've said it before, your themes always deliver high on the creative front, with ideas that are always original.....to such an extent that I'm jealous :)

Thats a really kind comment. Thank You

And thanks too everyone for all your kind comments. Again.

I remember those. They weren't legal tender, mind, but I still remember them. Nice simple shot, perfectly in focus and perfect for the theme. I have a similar idea but not quite the same.

I'm old enough to remember a farthing! or am I? :thinking:

Nice clean sharp shot Simon.

I remember those. They weren't legal tender, mind, but I still remember them. Nice simple shot, perfectly in focus and perfect for the theme. I have a similar idea but not quite the same.
You know how to make me feel ancient Simon :(... I still remember a 'proper' half penny in old money.
Nice shot by the way ... excellent deep black background and perfectly in focus :)
I'm old enough to remember a farthing! or am I? :thinking:
Nice clean sharp shot Simon.

Sorry to all i made feel old me included although im a decimal baby I only realized this week how grey i have gone :(.
Thanks for shot comments so happy to have got this done so early this week only took 2 shots rather than my usual 102 and no tweaking its straight out of camera.
Might even do a second shot this week although I should step back a week I'm struggling for inspiration for skill :thinking:

Detail looks ok to me Simon, good black bg (y) but it does just lack a little something........:thinking:.......as Paul said, it feels a bit flat :)

So close to giving in but stubbornness should see me to the end.
12 shot catch up. Part 1.
Mainly new stuff with a couple of oldies just to keep my head above water.

Skill. His not mine.

Week 29 ~ Skill
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Architecture from the tattoo shop window.

Week 31 ~ Architechture
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Always wanted to try this type of shot. I can only get better.

Week 32 ~ Promise
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Sharpe Knifes.

Week 33 ~ Sharp
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Pure White.

Week 34 ~ Pure
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Sparkle of the Sea.

Week 35 ~ Sparkle
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Ha! what a wonderful set of images Simon.

Sharp is my favourite, very effective. Balance is a great take on the theme (hehe). Communicate selective colour I like. Some serious Sparkle there. Yes Promise needs some work: you're focusing on the text seen thru the ring and you need to go up a few more f stops IMO. The rest are good too.

EDIT ... or should that read .. 'down a few f stops'? ... well you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Wow - some great catch up shots there Simon.

Skill - yuck. Sorry, just the thought of having a tattoo does my head & stomach in. Well done though for having it done and taking the photo at the same time! :exit:

Architecture - gets the theme done! Nice light...

Promise - I think I would prefer the ring in focus rather than (or as well as) the text, but it's a classic shot and well worth having a play with. Is the white balance set right or was the book printed on FT-coloured paper?!

Sharp - BRILLIANT! Love it... what a great idea and an amusing one too. Really super and no room for improvement for me :) :clap:

Pure - nice shot, well taken and good technically. A couple of blowouts at the top, but they're not distracting so don't get too hung up on that.

Sparkle - another super shot, perfectly on theme and probably the best of all the sparkly-sea shots I've seen for this theme.

Fall - well taken but lacking a bit of punch. Maybe the stone background doesn't help? Or lighting perhaps?

Communicate - nice use of SC and it works well. For some reason (optical illusion) the phone box looks wonky even though I don't think it is... bizarre!

Dark - wow. Nasty looking weather and well spotted and shot. You could probably pump up the contrast/clarity even further if you wanted it to pop more, but it's a good take for the theme. Glad I'm not out in it!

Big - nicely done, and opportunistic shot, perhaps, but you've done well to light & capture it.

Cut - very amusing! Like it a lot and a unique take on the theme (I think). (y)

Balance - again, a very smart take on the theme and what would otherwise be a very confusing image makes sense in the context of this project.

Great job at hanging on in there! :clap: and you've taken some super shots along the way, so looking forward to seeing more of them.

(Just no more tattoos please ;))

Ha! what a wonderful set of images Simon.

Wow - some great catch up shots there Simon.

Cheers David & Paul
Yes the promise shot was a bit of a gamble that didn't quite work the dictionary is very old so the pages are naturally that colour it was the only dictionary I could find with the word promise down the spine.
The big mouth shot was total luck your right. I was trying to do something else with her. I think she was just bored and gave a yawn at the right time for me.
Balance it was a good job the people next door were not looking when I took that because I must have looked pretty stupid.
As for the tattoo (Which is a phone shot as is the architecture) if you think that's bad you should see my back 24 hours done over 5 sittings so far and only half way finished.

Not overly happy with this its a bit flat but gets me another week closer to the finish line.

A Change in the weather.

Week 42 ~ Change
by sr_1867, on Flickr

Thread Locked :lock:Comments Disabled :muted: :muted:

Hiya Simon... you've been busy!

Change: nicely taken - the triangles in the top corners are interesting additions... unsure whether they work or not, but good to try different things.

Grow: great idea! I'm finding the poppy itself a bit flat - might be the direction of the light, but the soil texture is coming out really well, so I'm loving that :)

Half reshoot: a good idea again and some great head on the beer but I'm less keen on the lighting of the glass (half) on the left.

Live: I like this - a really peaceful shot. You've got some lovely light and a super landscape poking through. Maybe getting a bit closer would make it even stronger?

First: Very smart shot and one of the relatively few shots where I think a vignette really works well. Great processing, nicely taken photo and overall makes a super image (y)

Smooth: it works and is on theme but maybe not as strong as some of your other shots?

Attached: definitely on theme but less of a fan of the lighting. I might be tempted to go for a low key shot here, with some dramatic strong directional lighting really to bring out the texture in that piece. Taking it off the wall might help as well, because it would give you more control of positioning, lighting etc and also allow you to place it on a plain background.

Back