Sri Lanka

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Has anyone here got experience of Sri Lanka? There's a lot of national parks and other wildlife rich areas, and there's no end of trip combinations offered. Any insight in to any of them that can be shared will be greatly appreciated. What you saw, the general experience the place provides, and the conductive to photography it is (a place might offer good sightings but at distances that aren't conductive to photos)

Thanks

Last edited:
Too long ago to be relevant now but it was probably my best location ever and we've visited a lot of places.
We stayed at the Mount Lavinia Hotel in Columbo, (the old Governor's Mansion), in a sea-facing room and it was great, wonderful service in the old colonial building and sunsets, the best I have ever seen, from the front restaurant patio. Loved watching the people with sun umbrellas walking down the nearby railway lines and travelling with some of the locals on the train from Columbo to Galle - great experience.
We also did overnight visits to Kandy, (Temple of the Tooth & much more), The Hill Club in Nuwara Eliya ... an old colonial 'club' that still had a gentlemen-only bar and required tie and jacket to dine, (I didn't have them, so they found me a tie - and a jacket that perfectly matched my trousers!).
We also stayed in a small beach chalet near Galle right next to the ocean.
We did all the trips with a local taxi firm who supplied the taxi and driver to take us around and be available by staying local to us in each location, so dropped us off and picked us up as well as taking us on some 'tours' in between e.g. to the Elephant Orphanage, tea plantations etc.
Fabulous place either on the coast, in the urban areas or up near the tea plantations ... can't give you current information but can be sure you will love it - I wasn't particularly into wildlife photography at the time but seeing a working elephant on the road was great, so many great experiences. :)

I spent a couple of weeks backpacking around in 2013 or 2014. It's probably the easiest country in the world to see leopards as they're the apex predator there. If memory serves, I saw four on one drive in Yala. Annoyingly, the other vehicle that went out from the guesthouse I was staying in saw a sloth bear, which was the species I really wanted to tick off my list.

Watching this thread as going there on honeymoon in August! Looking forward to visiting Yala National Park. Hoping to spot some leopards.

Back