Stabilization for video camera (Sony FDR-AX100)

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Made my first video a week or so ago. Just a little walk round our local pond/lake.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxX2h0DMxI&t=11s

When I did the panning, from the 30 second mark, I had the camcorder on my tripod with my Wimberley gimbal that I use for wildlife photography. It was tricky to get a smooth pan, even with the horizontal knob loosened. I tried a fair few times but it wasn't very easy.

Is it just practise? Or is there an attachment/head, for my tripod, I could buy that would make this process a lot easier? Is there some sort of motorised gadget I could buy? Or how about one of the many fluid heads that I've seen on the 'net (although this must require manual panning that I am hoping to avoid?)?

I don't want to spend a lot as I'm just starting to dip my toes in the video world but am aware of the "buy cheap, buy twice" saying.

Many thanks,
Wez

Nice steady video, I wish my videos were as steady. I am not overly keen on music added to videos, I prefer to hear the lovely sound of nature. But I did like the video. :)

Thanks John, I added the music as all you could hear (above everything else) was the waterfall! :)
What, you recorded over the sound of a lovely waterfall? Yes, I suppose a noisy waterfall , may have been too much and been a distraction. :)

See my message in conversations and short video on your other post

I personaly dont mind the music if it suits,to me it depends on what you want the watcher to watch and also subject and length .
I can fully apreciate just capturing ther muted sounds of nature in the background etc but i suppose thats another part of the editing and learning to achieve a nice balance.
I am also using a Mk1 wimberley and find it pretty good at doing he job,it also helps as i use it for photography and i am used to it,takes me a few attemps to get it panning at a nice continuity.....
A freind of mine loaned me a copy version of the mafrotto 502 fluid head to try and it felt pretty ok to me,only £60 on Ebay but i will be having a think about that as my wimberley is working fine for me at the moment ..Some good locations in the shots and i can understand were the music can take over the from natural sound as i could hear the Gulls quite clearly over the music..

Hi all,

Made my first video a week or so ago. Just a little walk round our local pond/lake.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjxX2h0DMxI&t=11s

When I did the panning, from the 30 second mark, I had the camcorder on my tripod with my Wimberley gimbal that I use for wildlife photography. It was tricky to get a smooth pan, even with the horizontal knob loosened. I tried a fair few times but it wasn't very easy.

Is it just practise? Or is there an attachment/head, for my tripod, I could buy that would make this process a lot easier? Is there some sort of motorised gadget I could buy? Or how about one of the many fluid heads that I've seen on the 'net (although this must require manual panning that I am hoping to avoid?)?

I don't want to spend a lot as I'm just starting to dip my toes in the video world but am aware of the "buy cheap, buy twice" saying.

Many thanks,
Wez
Nice footage, you are starting very well.
Regarding panning, it is not bad, just a bit abrupt in a couple of occasions, but it is something you can easily fix with Warp Stabilizer in After Effects or Premiere Pro.
It will become much easier with a bit of practice, and yes, a fluid head helps a lot in panning and tilting.
As for motorized panning head, a good one is the Syrp Genie; stay away from the cheap model found in Amazon: They are very, very wobbly.
Those motorized head are a must for panning or tilting timelapses, but not really needed for video: it is quite easy to pan and tilt with a fluid head and fix in post with Warp Stabilizer

Nice footage, you are starting very well.
Regarding panning, it is not bad, just a bit abrupt in a couple of occasions, but it is something you can easily fix with Warp Stabilizer in After Effects or Premiere Pro.
It will become much easier with a bit of practice, and yes, a fluid head helps a lot in panning and tilting.
As for motorized panning head, a good one is the Syrp Genie; stay away from the cheap model found in Amazon: They are very, very wobbly.
Those motorized head are a must for panning or tilting timelapses, but not really needed for video: it is quite easy to pan and tilt with a fluid head and fix in post with Warp Stabilizer

Thank you for the suggestions, just going to have a play with Warp Stabilizer now in Premiere Pro and see what it's like (y)

Thank you for the suggestions, just going to have a play with Warp Stabilizer now in Premiere Pro and see what it's like (y)
You got prem pro, do you have the subscription or a retail version...I have premiere elements and to be honest at the momenet i am finding it Ok ,i know i will eventualy want to upgrade as the more i learn ....

Back