Stabilizers

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have any experience with cheap smartphone stabilizers? I want a DJI Osmo but with it just being after Christmas I can't quite stretch that far atm.

Did a quick search on eBay and found some cheap ones with a weight at the bottom. They range from £15-30. Are they any kop?

Thanks.

I remember looking at these - not tried them. Part of me thinks "buy cheap buy twice"/"you get what you pay for", but the other half thinks "for £15, it's worth a punt"

Have you tried the iPhone without a stabiliser. I was impressed on how good it was on it's own. OK you can't do a good tracking shot with it , but it does produce some good pan shots if held carefully

you have to get the balance right front to back and side to side- get the correct weights on and angle them on the adjustable bar. Once you have done that forget about swinging it from side to side you have to turn your whole body. All the videos on it only show going forward .

They are a real pain in my opinion and that was with a small camcorder. walking it does not stop up/down movement with walking unless holding it well infront, and it is heavy

I suspect very much the one your looking at is just as much a pain to set up and use
I now just use a pistol grip screwed to the bottom of my camcorder easier to hold and cost virtually nothing
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Han...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=84QQGAFFAM834YSHTX2F

Last edited:

if you look at the video closely look where the fingers are. Not on the handle but on the part with the camera on, this is the only way to make the camera turn. The hand is not totally on the handle which is the part that is supposed to stablise it.
Notice how they carefully avoided showing the camera video view taken by someone walking along and setting up the balance.

No keep away and get a pistol grip instead

Last edited:
I have a DJI Osmo Mobile arriving today so will see if it's for me. If not then it can go back.

Thanks for all the help.

please put up a video you shoot with it ,not of it. I would be very interested is seeing the difference. Also if you would how hard/easy it is to set the balance and how long it took.

No probs mate. Not sure when the video will be though. I'm not expecting to get anything worth sharing for a few weeks or so. I have a lot to learn as I have never shot any video before let alone edit any. :LOL:

At least with Amazon I can return it if I don't get along with it or if I find out video isn't for me.

From having a nose around on YouTube the initial balancing looks like it can be a bit of a PITA but I should be able to figure it out eventually I think. I already have the DJI GO app downloaded.

Little update, balancing and calibration took about 5 minutes at most. Pretty easy to do and stress free.

Shooting with it is a lot harder than I thought it would be if I'm honest. Gonna have to have a lot of practice before I get anything even remotely useable. Didn't really know what I was on with when editing too. Haha.

Will update with more info when I have some.

None of these stabilisers will instantly give you good usable footage, they're an aid not a magic fix. You need to actually try, but they can be used well. Obviously none do up/down stabilisation, DJI do a Z-Axis add on that has half decent results though.

None of these stabilisers will instantly give you good usable footage, they're an aid not a magic fix. You need to actually try, but they can be used well. Obviously none do up/down stabilisation, DJI do a Z-Axis add on that has half decent results though.

Only for the X3 camera I believe.

Back