Staithes in Twilight

Cliche or not, you have to be there and execute it well.
You did both.
Like it.

Cliched is often best. Processing lets this one down. It's too blue. You'll need to warm the image up and perhaps split tone it warming up the shadow areas a bit.

Yes, that's a fair point. My processing isn't the best. Still learning. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Very nice, I am there on Monday for 4 days, hope the weather is good, going to runswick too..

Who care's if it cliche, it a great shot but as has been said, a bit too blue.

It's a nice scene, taken at the optimum time for nice contrast between artificial light and the darkening sky, but enough ambient light to retain detail.

Personally I would correct the verticals. Regarding the blue cast, you can get a long way to correcting that by taking the black point dropper in a levels adjustment layer in PS and zooming right in to something like the dark bit of the harbour wall. It will probably read 2,10,40 (R,G,B) but by clicking on it you will level all colour channels off to 0,0,0. This will go some way to correcting the blue cast in the shadows. Then you can neutralise the white houses by creating a saturation adjustment layer, taking the picker tool again clicking on something that should be white and dragging it to the left. It will identify the dominant colour cast and reduce it. You can then invert the mask and with a combination of brush and lasso tool paint through where the white houses are. You can then keep the cool feel of the photo, but if the eye sees something that should be white, and it nearly is, it will accept the rest of it easier.

It's a nice scene, taken at the optimum time for nice contrast between artificial light and the darkening sky, but enough ambient light to retain detail.

Personally I would correct the verticals. Regarding the blue cast, you can get a long way to correcting that by taking the black point dropper in a levels adjustment layer in PS and zooming right in to something like the dark bit of the harbour wall. It will probably read 2,10,40 (R,G,B) but by clicking on it you will level all colour channels off to 0,0,0. This will go some way to correcting the blue cast in the shadows. Then you can neutralise the white houses by creating a saturation adjustment layer, taking the picker tool again clicking on something that should be white and dragging it to the left. It will identify the dominant colour cast and reduce it. You can then invert the mask and with a combination of brush and lasso tool paint through where the white houses are. You can then keep the cool feel of the photo, but if the eye sees something that should be white, and it nearly is, it will accept the rest of it easier.

Hi Craig. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. That is really helpful. I'll work through this and see what I come up with! Thanks again!

Back