North England Stanage Edge

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
HI

just wondering if anyone can give me directions to Stanage Edge please ? I'm quite getting in to landscape but struggling to find places ... could spend hours wandering around and not get there , quite fancy seeing those millstones that appear in lots of photo's . I'm quite local ( Rotherham) , have found my way on Google maps up to a point...out along Ringinglow Road , over a stone bridge & fork off to the right ,follow that along to a right hand turn where there's an area for parking.....is that where I need to be ? Where would I go from there ?

Apologies if this sounds like I'm a bit dense ( I am ! ) & thanks in advance for any info....hoping to head out early doors tomorrow or Sunday and maybe next saturday as well

cheers

Lynne

Just Google for 'Directions from Rotherham to Stanage Edge' and you'll get a map you can zoom into.

Alternatively go on to Bing Maps and put High Neb (it is the highest point on the Edge) into the search box. If you zoom in enough you'll be able to select the Ordnance Survey map from the map drop down and get all the detail you need.

Dave

Just Google for 'Directions from Rotherham to Stanage Edge' and you'll get a map you can zoom into.

Alternatively go on to Bing Maps and put High Neb (it is the highest point on the Edge) into the search box. If you zoom in enough you'll be able to select the Ordnance Survey map from the map drop down and get all the detail you need.

Dave

Thanks Dave , not heard of High Neb so that's quite useful....though I'm pretty rubbish at reading maps.....I'll give it a go tomorrow morning, I maybe gone some time :rolleyes:

Suspect it's bit late, but are you after directions or interesting locations? I can't help either way but your sat nav will get you close enough. Unless you are after a specific place/thing, park up and enjoy :)

Sounds like you've got the directions about right Lynne.as you bare right there's Higger tor on your left ,another great place for views of the hope valley.loads of places to park by the side of the road but it gets busy at weekends with walkers and the likes.
Have fun n watch for the peregrines .

Thanks AD67, m found higger Tor. Not managed stanage edge for the millstones.....several butt clenching moments in a 2wheel drive car :-o. found the car park that I think should be forstanage edge butit's not the one that shows for high neb......I really am hopeless!

Sounds like you might have been at one of the two car parks between Ringinglow and Hathersage. The millstones I know of are at the east end of Stanage Edge so either of these car parks would be OK for them, but the first one (nearest to Ringinglow) is the closer. High Neb is further west on the Edge; either a walk from the millstones or from the other car parks closer to Bamford.

Dave

Crumbs! Stanage Edge now that is a blast from the past.......do post some images? I used to climb there and always ended up with 'stanage rash' as that rock was rough on the bare hands :( But heh ho happy days of my more youthfull years :)

Crumbs! Stanage Edge now that is a blast from the past.......do post some images? I used to climb there and always ended up with 'stanage rash' as that rock was rough on the bare hands :( But heh ho happy days of my more youthfull years :)

Lol...glad to be of help bringing those memories back :) I've posted a few in the Landscape /Scenic section but they're nowt special !

There were a few climbers up there saturday along with some parascenders .......& some Rock Jumpers ( think that's the right term?) who seem to carry a mini mattress around with them to prevent twisted ankles - most bizarre...

Back