Star trails

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
No
Good evening,

I am going on the trip of a lifetime with my better half. One thing I would like to do when out in the wild is a Star trail. Has anyone a easy to follow ( idiots guide) to what to do how to set up etc.
I would hate to miss this opportunity. I will be taking my d70 and a sigma 20-200 f/2.8

Would you recommend using a tripod/ Gorillapod and what about the exposure and time?? Never done anything like it before. Would I need a remote trigger??

Any hel as basic as possible will help.

Many thanks

Hi Matthew,
Thank you for your help. I'm an old geezer so it will take a few readings I guess;) Just don't know where to start. I'm off on my jollies and plan on doing this type of shoot. However when I get away I don't want to find I'm missing an item:mad: So it's a check, check and then check again:)

Basically all you need is Camera, Lens, Tripod (don't go gorilla pod it's not going to be optimal at all in most compositions) a camera trigger/shutter release (basic locking one will work) charged batteries and clear memory card or one with space for a few hundred shots :) so long as you have those covered your not going to have any problems

Lens wise I would say something more suited to landscapes over your 70-200, your basic kit lens will do the job you f3.5-5.6 is plenty acceptable for star trails it's doesn't have to be a f/2.8 or larger lens

Matthew's guide is really clear and simple to follow. I printed off a copy to take with me when I first had a go. I also used Starstax as suggested and this too was easy to use. Sadly not had the opportunity to get any decent shots since first trying it out:( The only time that was convenient for me to go out at night with someone, I sorted my kit bag out and left the remote shutter on the table!! What an idiot! I was gutted. I haven't given up though on getting a good shot, I will just have to bide my time:) good luck.

Matthew's guide is really clear and simple to follow. I printed off a copy to take with me when I first had a go. I also used Starstax as suggested and this too was easy to use. Sadly not had the opportunity to get any decent shots since first trying it out:( The only time that was convenient for me to go out at night with someone, I sorted my kit bag out and left the remote shutter on the table!! What an idiot! I was gutted. I haven't given up though on getting a good shot, I will just have to bide my time:) good luck.

Oh bugger on leaving the trigger at home :( your very kind on your comments in relation to my guide :)

Oh bugger on leaving the trigger at home :( your very kind on your comments in relation to my guide :)

You're welcome. My language was as blue as my fingers that night I can tell you. I had dragged my OH out on a freezing night to a place where there is very little light pollution, near to woods where two radio masts stand. Good parking nearby too or so I thought. Found out the next day it was a well known dogging site:exit:I wondered why there appeared to be a few cars passing by considering it is in the middle of nowhere. ;)

You're welcome. My language was as blue as my fingers that night I can tell you. I had dragged my OH out on a freezing night to a place where there is very little light pollution, near to woods where two radio masts stand. Good parking nearby too or so I thought. Found out the next day it was a well known dogging site:exit:I wondered why there appeared to be a few cars passing by considering it is in the middle of nowhere. ;)

Oh I've been there :( it seems the dogging community and the night time/light painting community have a odd affinity for locations, on several occasions I've been at a location only to find out either on arrival, while there or afterwards it is a dogging location :LOL:

There's even one occasion which I posted about on TP, I'll have to find the thread :LOL: it was most amusing...as to triggers I actually own loads of them keeping them both in my glove box and bag so that it's virtually impossible for me to be trigger less, I only have one expensive trigger though, most are cheap generic wired triggers

I tried my first on Sunday and ended up with only 10minutes worth of startrails as some mist had rolled in off a river and consensation / dew formed on the camera and lens so keep an eye out for this. I was sat in the car and 60+of the shots were wasted because of this (should have checked the camera more often).

I'll definately be visiting again when the nights are darker as this was my view.

I tried my first on Sunday and ended up with only 10minutes worth of startrails as some mist had rolled in off a river and consensation / dew formed on the camera and lens so keep an eye out for this. I was sat in the car and 60+of the shots were wasted because of this (should have checked the camera more often).

I'll definately be visiting again when the nights are darker as this was my view.

Your always going to suffer from condensation near to water as the Abbey is :eek: I've yet to be able to try one out but it's been recommended to me a battery powered dewband as used in Astro hobbies, tintern is fantastic though

Oh what a shame:( it looks like it could be a great location. I struggled to find somewhere accessible with decent foreground interest where I am in south lincs near Stamford. We have huge big skies but nothing much of interest that I know of, unless anyone can recommend somewhere:)

I also had ago at it the other night using Matthews guide ( which is brill ) but I didn't get out late enough to get a decent star trial so my effort look like it was took mid day even though it was 11ish!, I will have to try when the nights become darker again towards the winter...( hopefully thats a long way off yet :D!)

Your always going to suffer from condensation near to water as the Abbey is :eek: I've yet to be able to try one out but it's been recommended to me a battery powered dewband as used in Astro hobbies, tintern is fantastic though

Yeah I've heard about those, I'll be back later on in the year fully prepared, may even take my tent!

Back