Star Trek - Picard

woke trends?

I think it's one of these things that's come over from America. "Woke" as in I woke up... and now see all the evils against women, LBTGTREQD's or whatever, every social injustice either real or only in the mind of retired white Vicars called Rupert from hamlets in the home counties. Apparently this is why Dr Who is now a woman and the storylines no longer simply entertain but instead scream a social message and inform us how we should think.

I’ve just finished watching the voyager box set and seen the first two Picard episodes and I enjoyed it mostly, but I must admit I cringed a bit at the swearing. I work in a garage and it’s common place, I just always held Star Trek to a bit of a higher standard! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, the swearing is uncalled for IMO.

We watched E2 and although I've seen everything on terrestrial TV until now I just don't care anymore.

Someone just had to politicise it, didn't they :facepalm:

We watched episode one and I have to say I was underwhelmed. The special effects seem better but other than that I found it seemed to be following modern woke trends and how come all the baddies can transport in and out firing weapons and killing people seemingly without detection or police / Starfleet involvement?

Maybe I'm just off... but after that first episode I really don't care. Mrs WW liked it so we'll watch the second when we get time.

As with most scifi, you have to suspend belief or a requirement for consistency & 'factual accuracy' in order to enjoy it - just accept what you're shown, because asking questions will quickly make the whole thing unravel into a disappointing mess.

As for being woke, TNG was preachy at times, even when viewed in this decade. Picard is much less so, and certainly far less than the Star Wars reboot - TBH I'd say it was pretty balanced.

I'm just about to watch episode 5. The thing that I'm starting to not enjoy is that it looks like it's going to be a long open-ended series, rather than a story encapsulated within a few hours. I love the slow pace, but a couple of times I've found myself unable to believe that the episode has ended and feeling unsatisfied & almost cheated. That, as much as anything, could make me simply give up on the series.

Having just watched the last episode, I'm really finding it hard work, and I've enjoyed just about every Star Trek series, including Enterprise etc. Seeing Marina Sirtis play another role, and not even recognise Picard, is just, well wrong....

As with most scifi, you have to suspend belief or a requirement for consistency & 'factual accuracy' in order to enjoy it - just accept what you're shown, because asking questions will quickly make the whole thing unravel into a disappointing mess.

As for being woke, TNG was preachy at times, even when viewed in this decade. Picard is much less so, and certainly far less than the Star Wars reboot - TBH I'd say it was pretty balanced.

I'm just about to watch episode 5. The thing that I'm starting to not enjoy is that it looks like it's going to be a long open-ended series, rather than a story encapsulated within a few hours. I love the slow pace, but a couple of times I've found myself unable to believe that the episode has ended and feeling unsatisfied & almost cheated. That, as much as anything, could make me simply give up on the series.

Having just watched the last episode, I'm really finding it hard work, and I've enjoyed just about every Star Trek series, including Enterprise etc. Seeing Marina Sirtis play another role, and not even recognise Picard, is just, well wrong....

We've just watched No.5 because Mrs WW likes it but I haven't changed my mind. I think the special effects have moved on but the plot is like so many these days, IMO, style over substance. I wont say it's awful because I can see how some would like it but if I never saw another episode I wouldn't care.

It's good they're doing it for those who like it but after sitting through 5 and not caring I think I'll read a book while Mrs WW watches it in future.

Episode 5 was not so great - they overstepped the marks of explicit physical and emotion suffering, fine to be hinted at, but not to be laid bare in front of the audience. This takes it from enjoyable thrill to harrowing, and the final murder was so obvious coming that it spoiled any sense of craft in the story. Slightly sad to see Marina Sirtis playing such a different kind of role, but from the little I know of her, I suspect she really enjoyed doing something so unlike Troy.

Marina Sirtis was in it?

Marina Sirtis wasnt in it.

When I first saw the character...................I agree she looked like Marine Sirtis but then I was struck by how young she looked, so thought what a look alike as no way could that have been "Troi" from Next Generation.

On a sidenote and I ma sure this has been commented a good while back ~ Jonathan Frakes directing.......................so Ryker has got a lookin anyway..................I wonder if he will make a cameo appearence ;)

Watched them all but a bit on the very slow side!

A day after watching, I think episode 5 has broken the 'magic' for me. Too graphically brutal.

When I first saw the character...................I agree she looked like Marine Sirtis but then I was struck by how young she looked, so thought what a look alike as no way could that have been "Troi" from Next Generation.

On a sidenote and I ma sure this has been commented a good while back ~ Jonathan Frakes directing.......................so Ryker has got a lookin anyway..................I wonder if he will make a cameo appearence ;)

Riker and Troi will appear.

I haven’t finished watching episode 5 yet, had to go pick up my daughter from school, but I didn’t like the eye pully bit, just doesn’t fit the Star Trek format IMO. I’m surprised Patrick Stewart hasn’t raised his eyebrow and stepped in during the edit, but I guess he’s getting paid so he wouldn’t care if there was a scene with some Klingon hanging out the back of Seven neither.

Riker doesnt look all that older but Troi .. Was hoping for a mature sex godess.......nope :(

Which is interesting, because in some of the more recent Trek Con videos she's looked pretty good while he was almost un-recognisable.

When the young ninja chap sent out a sos what are the odds it's answered by Seven

Seven it was, back to her best full on Borg character

watched first 15 mins of season 2 episode 1 and deleted it utter random garbage just like the first season

Looking at Prime now and cannot find mention let alone an episode of Season 2 ???

Looking at Prime now and cannot find mention let alone an episode of Season 2 ???
Same here, can't find any mention of it on Prime UK

I did notice in the US its on Paramount which is a subscription channel accessible via Prime

The first season is still there.
The second season is supposed to be dropping today, a day after the US release.

Back