Beginner Starlight Settings

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all,

I'm wanting to experiment with a time lapse of the night/evening sky this week. I have a basic Canon EOS 1100D. What settings should I be looking at in terms of ISO, Exposure and F Stop?

Also, I've had a read around, and I'm reading things like "set the focus to infinite" how or what is that?

If you want to start while still light, your exposure will change with every shot and get longer and longer each time. You need an intervalometer with a "bramping" function (bulb ramping) which luckily Canon do better than Nikon apparently.
Get hold of a TriggerTrap cable for your camera and you can use a smartphone as an intervalometer with bramping function.

try here - LINKY CLICKY THINGY and go to Triggertrap mobile.

Last edited:
I'm guessing my current intervalometer isn't up to it then. (just a cheap one from eBay, the has delay, Exposure and interval times)

Or one of these - CLICKY for a more basic timer remote - I have a few of these and they are pretty good but don't have the bramping function. Great for normal timelapses and startrails though:)

The problem you will face is the transition from light to dark - you might get away with it by setting your camera to AV and let it sort out the exposure itself (might work - never tried that myself)

Thanks. When iI say lightI, I mean around 8pm ish, just as it's starting to get dark.

As Jules mentions, you may run into difficulties depending how light it is when you start (plus, this being England, cloud cover and light pollution).

Just a quick check - do you want to make a time-lapse video, or a star-trail photo stitched from multiple shots?

Assuming it's a time-lapse:
The general rule of thumb, without a bramper, is to set your camera to Manual to avoid flicker in the videos. If left in Av (or Tv), and a cloud passes over the sun, or a car passes by as a shot is being taken, the camera will adjust the exposure and that frame will be lighter/darker than the other ones. On manual, the scene would naturally darken when a cloud comes over, as opposed to the land getting lighter!

There's a couple of bits you'll need to decide before you shoot too - do you want to see sharp stars moving across the sky, or streaks? Shutter-speed needs to be < 30s generally to avoid motion blur in stars, less if using a long lens.
Also check if the moon is going to be in shot - a full moon is VERY bright on a dark night and can play havoc with a correct exposure. I'd also make sure you take ISO and White Balance off of auto.

If possible try and grab some shots from the beginning and middle of the scene the night before attempting the time-lapse to ensure your settings are getting the shots you want. It's frustrating to find you can't pick out stars because your cameras highest ISO is super-noisy and everything looks like stars, or it's just too dark/light for what you were after.

This is particularly important depending what you have in mind for foreground (or indeed anything not a star); do you want to be able to see detail or just silhouettes? You can get fancy and use an ND-Grad filter "upside down" to darken the land and keep the sky clear for example.

Oh, and lastly, patience is essential! I recently tried shooting a dawn timelapse, and after 2.5 hours of thick fog showing no signs of clearing, gave up. Naturally half-an-hour later the fog lifted and the low sun over the landscape was incredible, but I ended up with a hastily setup 2-second time lapse, but not the preceding 20 seconds of atmospheric fog swirls.

I've only just started experimenting with time-lapses, so I'm by no means an expert - but hopefully you'll learn from my recently made mistakes ;)

Back