stars/meteors in fife

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out with the intension to shoot the meteor show, but struggled with location and light pollution.. there was a lot more around us than i expected.

First try and had issues with focus and settings, I expected that 20s would be fine for my 24mm lens after some reading but was still getting slight trails in the stars so dropped to 13s.

Couldn't find anything of interest in the foreground either.

milky way cupar glow by peter mcallister, on Flickr

shooting stars by peter mcallister, on Flickr

milkyway by peter mcallister, on Flickr

star trails by peter mcallister, on Flickr

Even the lasts at 13s and was still trailing

Thats some busy sky you have up there, are you near Prestwich by any chance.
Not sure how you did the last one, looks like a squadron of comets heading our way, much more interesting than meteors ;)

Ah, wrong coast:oops: :$
There is an airway navigation beacon at St Abb's head, so I guess that would account for the number of aircraft about.

I think you could be right about knocking the tripod, no matter, it is a really neat effect and one that you would have difficulty repeating.

Fabulous shots I didn't see many....:)

A nice set but most of them are satellites. Shot 2 bottom left is a meteor but the 3 bright ones are satellites and the trail length looks about right for a 13s exp. The last shot is a good effect. I have a similar one caused by rotating the camera at the ending of an exposure. I thought it had finished but the last few seconds I rotated the camera into portrait mode and got this effect :)

Satellites show as a bright white light and there is no trailing in and out of brightness like with a meteor. If you are doing consecutive shots then satellites will show in each shot but just a bit further along. Meteors have colour to them and only show in single shots as they are very short in duration.

thanks.

Didn't know there were so many visible satellites flying around. Can i ask how you can tell the difference?

I dont think you have any satellites in these shots Peter, there are a lot up there, but most are too small to reflect enough light to be seen.
Hopefully this will help to work out what you have in your shots :

Aircraft Trails by Steve Bennett, on Flickr

Top left : Aircraft and meteor
Top Right : Probably a military aircraft judging by faint lights
Bottom left : Aircraft with navigation lights only
Bottom right : Aircraft with navigation lights and anti-collision beacons

Last edited:
The 4th photo is amazing, i love the movement in the sky.
Can i ask what camera and lens you used

Back