Starting out - Motocross/Mountain biking

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I've been toying with the idea of trying event photography, such as mx and mountain biking. Is there anyone on here that could give me advice, like where do I start with approaching the event organisers, what to charge etc? Thanks

Hi. Been to MotoX, don't know about mounting biking. Most larger MX events have a 'pro' already, unless its a youth event. Some years ago I approached a local MotoX and did some youth stuff which was fun, and got asked to do some Enduro. For the youth, they actually said most photographers pay to shoot, and then make sales. I said I don't work like that. Problem for selling is you really need to be on site offering stuff there and then from what I've seen. I'm sure they make loads from this, but its also very expensive to set up. In fact I just checked out the local MX club, says some pics are for sale, but the website it links to doesn't load. So I guess they went out of business through lack of sales! I just go as an amateur and shoot for me these days. Go figure :)

Its a big undertaking Joel to jump right in at the deep end. Its quite right what Carol said above about most events having resident photographers. They may also have contractual agreement with the event organisers for sole coverage.

Why not try and approach a resident event photographer to see if they need extra photographers. You will learn loads by just getting involved in that way. You will also find lots of info on the event photographers website too. I think its something like
http://www.eventphotographersociety.co.uk/

Do plenty of reading before you ask questions that have been asked a million times before.

There are some good guys on there...There are also some total lumps on there too.

They also have job offers for all sorts of events.

Good luck with it.

I've been toying with the idea of trying event photography, such as mx and mountain biking. Is there anyone on here that could give me advice, like where do I start with approaching the event organisers, what to charge etc? Thanks

Before you think of charging can you produce the goods? Many try, few succeed but if he is running a course then Coin Brister is the man to visit http://image-mx.co.uk/photoshoots/ - do what he does and you can earn at it - I know a lot about event photography in general and some areas in specific and there are a few more that I can recommend that visit here that have plenty of good knowledge.

Mike

I have to say it seems competative..I have been sent to a few in my area for the local paper.. and it's almost overun by photographers.. pros and amatuers.. I am always looking for new areas to photo and sell but didn't even consider motox because of this... good luck if you can get a foot in the door..

sorry for the doom gloom response :)

Back