Beginner Starting out - portable studio ideas

Garry might smack me for this, but if you source carefully you can make savings on your modifiers.

Garry might smack me for this, but if you source carefully you can make savings on your modifiers.

Also agree with Phil on this...

Further notes:

You DO NOT 'really' require a background yet.. Just ensure that you have a separation zone behind the subject as large as you can get (at least 1-2 metres) & this will ensure that the background is out of focus anyway.

The kit if you can stretch to it is VERY GOOD VALUE. - but

1 light (£109)
1 x umbrella (£15)
1 x SYNCH LEAD (£10)
1 x stand (£25)
2 x 5-1 reflectors (£20)

& the possible addition of your speedlight you are off & running with more possiblitles.

This is the absolute minimum I'd use & about as cheap as it gets.

The triggers I'd get are yongnuos (in fact just bought 3 last night) but others can advise on these.

I'm going to be sensible and go with the Lencarta Twin Kit. I understand I don't need a background kit, but I've really enjoyed using the one I borrowed and with my mother being an interior designer I have plenty of nice materials to mess about with! Is it worth getting twin softbox kit, or a softbox and umbrella? I've only shot with umbrellas and found them a little harder to use in tight fitting spaces.

I'll create a for sale thread in the Classifieds tomorrow and move on a few lenses that I can do without. When I've earnt some money through the studio I can re-invest this back into the kit bag. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll get some images up of my progress as soon as I start snapping!!

Back